Arsenals and Cittadella
Porta Degazia: from which Corradino di Svevia entered on 7 April 1268 transported by Pisan galleys. The sovereign stopped in the Ghibelline city and then continued towards Naples in an attempt to annihilate the Angevin troops. Unfortunately he was wounded and fell in battle. This event definitely marked the end of the empire in Italy and in a sense the beginning of the decline of the Republic of Pisa. The door is still visible on the back of the castellaccio.
Goods arriving in the ports of Pisa:
- Between the 3rd and 1st centuries BC: wine, oil, preserved fish, fish sauce, fruit, honey, shellfish, resin, fish, ceramic pottery.
- Between the 1st and 5th centuries AD: wine, oil, preserved fish, fish sauces, ceramic tableware, glassware, oil lamps.
The goods leaving Pisa from its ports, from the third century BC to the fifth century AD, were: wine, black glazed pottery, common pottery, sealed pottery, bricks, wood.
Fortilizio della Cittadella