The palace, originally divided into two distinct properties, belonged to the Counts of Donoratico. The building, located in Carraia San Gilio, the current Corso Italia, had a large garden and loggia at the back, which housed theemperor Arrigo VII in 1312 (now buried in the Cathedral). Around 1350, the palace was sold to the Gambacorti, a powerful Pisan family and a few years later, in January 1355, it hosted another emperor: Charles IV. In the same year, the Gambacorti were expelled from the city and the building set on fire. The current appearance of the façade is the result of a restoration carried out in 1913, which recovered the fourteenth-century style, given by two superimposed floors of multi-light windows supported by slender columns of white marble under an imposing wooden cornice. Together with Palazzo Gambacorti del Lungarno, the two buildings represent a modern evolution of the tall tower houses that characterised the profile of the maritime city.