The church of San Benedetto a Ripa d'Arno and the adjoining monastery were built in 1393 and donated to the Benedictine nuns. Until the mid-nineteenth century, their appearance was rather rustic, with different buildings. It was the intervention of Domenico Santini in 1850 that gave the entire complex its current appearance. The large façade stands out over the entire Lungarno for its flamboyant Gothic decorations. Inside the small church Benozzo Gozzoli painted a precious cycle of frescoes depicting the Stories of San Benedetto, of which only a portion remains today preserved inside Palazzo Blu.