Church of Santo Stefano and Arena Garibaldi
IPT.C.TT.PPPH.Q.P.O.P P R \E Ad M. CCZ.L.M
Its meaning is still uncertain, it could refer to Federico II’s passage through Pisa. The date, 1240 perhaps indicates the year the door was opened. A bridge over the Auser led to the church of Santo Stefano extra moenia from the Episcopio, the current Archbishopric. The presence of the Church of Santo Stefano is documented from 1085.
The building included a hospital and had numerous ceramic basins with decorations, some of which are still visible. Adjacent to the church, the second railway station of the city of Pisa was built in 1846, connecting to the Duchy of Lucca, and closed in 1861, when the Porta Nuova station was inaugurated, today called Pisa San Rossore. Near the building, interesting archaeological remains were found of a Roman domus from the imperial age, built on pre-existing structures.
The Giuseppe Garibaldi Arena, Romeo Anconetani stadium was designed by architect Sabatino Federighi in 1807 to host horse races and other sporting events. It was later converted into a daytime theatre, with cafes and brick terraces, with the name of Sferisterio Garibaldi. The Arena, bought by the company Pisa Sporting Club in 1919, is today the main stadium of the city and the third oldest in Italy.
Via Matilde Contessa, 6/8
050 8310918,393 1170753,050 830672
Piazza del Duomo