Ponte di Mezzo
There are three bridges over the Arno to go from one part of the city to the other: the one in the middle is made of stone, and is a little more than half the length of the Pon Royal; it has three arches, with curves of a beautiful white marble, like the stones above the side walls (Montesquieu, 1824).
Destroyed during the Second World War, it was rebuilt in 1959 with a single concrete arch, covered with Verona white marble by architects Renzo Bellucci, Giovanni Salghetti-Drioli and Raffaello Trinci.
Curiosities about the river: given the numerous floods of the Arno, which several times destroyed the bridges of Pisa (the last in 1966, which caused the collapse of the Solferino bridge), the city resorted to several solutions to regulate its course. In 1528, engineer Amadio d'Alberto suggested turning to the genius of Michelangelo Buonarroti for a river water containment project, and so it was. After a full day spent consulting the papers, on 4 June 1528, Michelangelo presented his project, which unfortunately was lost due to the siege of Florence that brought the Medici back to power.
Piazza Del Pozzetto, 5
Vicolo Delle Donzelle, 9
SMSBiblio via San Michele degli Scalzi - Pisa