Church of Santa Caterina d'Alessandria
History in a nutshell: founded in 1220 by the Dominican Uguccione Sardo, the building was almost completed in 1261, with the exception of the façade, which was finished in the 14th century. The temple is attributed to the work of Giovanni di Simone, as is the terracotta bell tower, perhaps a prototype of that of San Francesco. Nothing remains of the large marble cloister, since it was destroyed in 1785 to open the archiepiscopal seminary, which still exists today.
The chapels: five in total. The first is that of the Venerosi, where we find the Crucifixion from the 14th century attributed to Giovanni di Nicola; the Buzzaccherini chapel hosts a copy of a panel of San Domenico by Francesco Traini, now in the National Museum of San Matteo. The large main chapel is dominated by the Gothic stained glass window and introduced by the statues of the Annunciation by Nino Pisano, son of Andrea, from the second half of the fourteenth century. Under the altar the tomb by Fra Girolamo da Rivalto; follows the Roncioni chapel, with a beautiful marble dossal with the Madonna and Saints Girolamo and Domenico, a work by Matteo Civitali; finally, the SS. Sacramento chapel.
The windows: they were almost completely rebuilt between 1922 and 1924 by the Zettler company from Munich (restored in 1948 by the Quentin company from Florence) and there are 9 of them on the left wall of the central nave and 6 on the right, depicting various Saints. The one in the main chapel stands out, with S. Caterina, S. Ranieri, S. Torpé and many others.
Chiesa di Santa Caterina d'Alessandria