Church of San Martino

Particolare facciata - Chiesa di San Martino (G. Bettini, Comune di Pisa)
Particolare facciata - Chiesa di San Martino (G. Bettini, Comune di Pisa)
The church is mentioned starting from 1067 with the name of San Martino in Guazzolongo, in reference to the longest ford to cross the river. The façade still shows the typical elements of the Pisan Romanesque style, but the upper level is the result of a restoration dated 1610. On the right side, a small loggia still shows the remains of the fourteenth-century bell tower demolished in the Medici era. Above the main portal there is a copy of the lunette depicting San Martino and the poor man, one of the earliest works of Andrea Pisano from the 14th century (the original is inside, on the right wall). The entrance is on the left side of the building, along via San Martino. The interior has a single hall, with elegant stone altars typical of the Counter-Reformation. On the counter-façade and on the walls there are traces of the originals frescoes by Giovanni di Nicola, from the fourteenth century. On the left wall, in addition to the remains of a machine for the forty-hour prayers depicting the Glory of Santa Bona, by the Melani brothers (1718), there is a beautiful marble group of the Madonna and Child from the end of the fifteenth century, attributed to Matteo Civitali. The altar, above which are the remains of Santa Bona, shows an icon depicting the Dressing of Santa Bona, a work by Orazio Riminaldi dated 1624. The fourteenth-century icon represents the Madonna with Child. On the left wall, starting from the façade, there is a beautiful painted cross by Enrico di Tedice, from the early thirteenth century. The chapel of the SS. Sacramento reveals frescoes by Antonio Veneziano on the walls (1395) and a Christ with Evangelists and Saints by Cecco di Pietro on the barrel vault, dated 1388.


History in a nutshell: the smaller 11th century church passed to the Augustinians in 1135, while the current building is the result of a reconstruction dated 1331 and passed to the Poor Clares in the 15th century. The church included a hospital, mentioned in 1103.
During the Middle Ages, few people travelled, usually merchants, religious and soldiers, therefore among them there were very few women. One of the few Pisan women who travelled extensively as a pilgrim was Bona da Pisa (1156 - 1207). Bona was born in the Kinzica neighbourhood and took vows at the age of 10. At 14, she embarked on her first pilgrimage to the Holy Land. Soon after her return to Pisa, she left again for Santiago de Compostela where she returned 8 more times, as well as walking up to San Michele del Gargano and down to Rome, always helping the pilgrims she met along the route. Inside the church of San Martino, near the side entrance, there is a large glass case that houses her remains. In 1962, Pope John XXIII made her the “patroness of flight attendants”.
Last update: 14/12/2020
LANFRANCHI SUITE
40m
Lanfranchi, 8
Recapito 331 1390129
RESIDENCE DOMUS
110m
Via La Tinta, 11-13
Recapito 050 2201404 - 412 - 049
TOWER'S GARDEN
120m
Pietro Da Pisa, 6
Recapito 3201538598
MINERVA
200m
Piazza Giuseppe Toniolo, 20
Recapito 050 501081
GALILEO
60m
Via San Martino, 6
Recapito 050 28287
PIZZERIA DEL GALILEO DI DAILA SAS
60m
Via Silvestri, 12
Recapito 050 500469
OSTERIA DEL VIOLINO
80m
Via La Tinta, 33
Recapito 338 5044455
PIZZERIA GALILEO
80m
Via Sebastiano Silvestri, 10/12
Recapito 050 28287