The church is documented since 1155, but it is very likely that it already existed at the end of the 11th century. It was a two-storey building that rested on an open colonnade (traces of the Roman columns and capitals can still be seen) and falls into the category of loggia churches, in use in the city between the 11th and 12th centuries. This type of structure was born with the Torhalle of Lorsch, an important pre-Romanesque abbey of the Carolingian Empire. It is assumed that these characteristics also came to Pisa through the Benedictine order. Both religious and commercial activities took place on the ground floor, while the actual building of worship was located on the top floor. The parish was suppressed in the eighteenth century and became a garage for the Roncioni family. Today it is a private building.