Porta Calcesana, one of the most beautiful gates in the city, has a double arch structure. Two coats of arms are still visible on the external side, one of which refers to the small village of Calci, a few kilometres from Pisa, from which the gate takes its name. Built around 1170, it was crossed by Federico Barbarossa in 1178. Closed in 1916, it was reopened again to facilitate urban traffic: the street on which it opens, via Garibaldi, with its numerous gastronomic activities is one of the most renowned in the city. Crossing the gate we enter the Parco delle Concette, while continuing towards the Lungarno we can see what remains of the 12th century church of San Marco in Calcesana, the original site of the beautiful altar by Giovanni della Robbia, now located in the Campo Santo Monumentale.