On 9 August 2023 the celebrations for the 850th anniversary of the laying of the foundation stone of the Bell Tower of Pisa will begin. The celebrations will last one year (from 9 August 2023 to 9 August 2024), the programme of which will be presented by the President of the Opera della Primaziale Pisana, the Mayor of Pisa and His Excellency the Archbishop of Pisa at 10.30 a.m. in the Auditorium Toniolo at the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo in Pisa.
This is the programme of activities scheduled for 9 August:
- 10.00 a.m. special postmark at the Sinopie Museum, free admission
- 12.00 a.m. Ringing of the Bell Tower bells
- 9.30 p.m. Lighting of the Bell Tower and projection of the 850th anniversary logo on the outer wall of the Opera Museum
- From 8.30 p.m. to midnight free opening of all the monuments in Piazza del Duomo except for the Bell Tower because it is illuminated and cannot be visited for safety reasons
- From 9.45 p.m. on the Cathedral steps (in front of the San Ranieri door) a piano concert by Maestro Ramin Bahrami, with free admission, with the following programme:
o J.S.Bach: Aria from the "Goldberg Variations
o J.S.Bach: Aria on the 4-string bwv 1068
o L.V. Beethoven: Adagio from Sonata No.14 op 27 No.2 "Al chiaro di Luna"
o J.P. Rameau: Tambourin from the Suite in E minor
o W.A.Mozart: Turkish March KV 331 in A major
o L.V. Beethoven: Für Elise
o J. Brahms: Intermezzo in A major No.2 op. 118
o F.Chopin: Valse in C sharp minor op 64 n.2
o S. Rachmaninov: Prelude op 3 no.2 in C sharp minor
o F.Mompou: Cancon y Danza n.6 in E flat minor
o A. Rohani: Gole Sangam. (Persian Melody)
The complete calendar of events will follow shortly.
For further information, please visit www.opapisa.it