Chiesa di Santa Cecilia
The Church of S. Cecilia was founded in 1102 by Camaldolese monks from the nearby Church of St. Michael in Borgo, on land donated by the Visconti family. It was consecrated in 1107 by Bishop Pietro.
The interior is a single aisle with a “hanging” belfry in the southwest corner. The belfry is poised on two outside walls of the Church and the fourth corner rests on a pillar. The lower part of the gabled facade up to the architrave over the main door is in dressed stone blocks while the upper part is in brickwork, culminating in a decoration of dead archlets under the cornice of the pediment. A round-arched lunette and a much-modified double mullioned window in moulded and decorated brickwork are built into the facade. On the right, two small portals with stone lintels and a lunette with carved brickwork indicate two distinct stages in construction.
The belfry was the last to be completed, in the 1230s. It has corner pilasters and the openings on each floor have one or two lights, progressively wider with increasing height. It houses three 14th century bells, one dated 1340.
Like other Pisan churches, under the eaves of the south wall, along the upper edges of the façade, around the central mullioned window and along the edge of the belfry, this Church is decorated with ceramic basins made locally or in other parts of the Mediterranean. The Church was badly damaged during the last war and has been completely renovated.