Chiesa di Sant’Andrea in Foriporta
The earliest mention of this Church, today used for amateur dramatics, is in 1104. It stood immediately east of the early medieval civitas, in an area that developed rapidly in the 12th century.
The front is in dressed stone blocks with a central nave taller than the aisles; the roof is double pitched. The central door of the three that open below architraves and round supporting arches is decorated with Roman doorposts; above are four deadarches separated by pilasters with round windows and rhombs.
The facade appears to have been built later than the lower part of the external side walls, one of the many examples of reconstruction, which may have been begun even before 1104. Several different types of walling in the sides of the building are evidence of much re-building and renovation in this church. The bell tower is set on a square stone base and is re-built in brickwork above.
Along the eaves is a decoration of small dead arches and copies of 12th century ceramic basins. These replace the originals (now on show in the Museum of S. Matteo), that came from various parts of the Mediterranean; more ceramic basins once decorated the bell tower.
Halfway along the side walls are two brick and stone chapels, added during restoration work in the 1840s. Inside, the three aisles are separated by rows of six pillars crowned by capitals (four are from Roman buildings and two, attributed to Biduino’s workshop, are Romanesque) and two pilasters. On the high altar is an 18th century tabernacle and above, a frescofrom the first half of the 19th century, by Grazzini.