Sostegno and Navicelli Canal

Sostegno Canale Navicelli
Il cosiddetto “sostegno” all’imbocco del Canale dei navicelli (Dnax, wikimediacommons)

During the reign of Cosimo I de’ Medici a canal was dug from Porta a Mare in Pisa to the Fortezza Vecchia at Livorno in order to connect the port at Livorno with Florence and the hinterland via the river Arno,
Planned in 1541, it was 22 km long and finally reached Livorno in 1574-75. It was called “dei navicelli” from the particular type of craft used on it and was opened to traffic in 1603. The route of the canal was considerably modified in the 18th century and, under Pietro Leopoldo di Lorena, the so-called "Sostegno" at the Pisan basin was re-built: in place of the simple roof that sheltered boats during customs formalities, an imposing brick-built construction was erected. This, in association with the old "Cateratta Maestra" (main lock gate) leading directly to the river, created a sort of lock that adjusted the water level for craft passing through.
The canal and buildings underwent further alterations after the Unification of Italy and again in the early decades of the 20th century, when the route was made straighter. Warehouses were built between the left bank of the canal and the medieval city walls, the remains of which are still visible.
In 1943 this area of Pisa, known as Porta a Mare, was badly bombed and these buildings were abandoned for many years. Recently however, thanks to plans to save the Sostegno, the area underwent an archaeological survey and was partially freed of rubble, making it possible for all to admire these interesting hydraulic works.

Last update: 25/05/2020
NOVANTANOVE B&B
220m
Via Cesare Battisti, 99
Recapito 340 5468497
PARK HOUSE MURALES
390m
Quarantola, 36
Recapito 339 4840897
AL PONTE DELLA CITTADELLA
140m
Via Di P.Ta Mare, 7
Recapito 050 525396
La Cittadella eventi di cibo
70m
28-08-2020
30-11-2020
MISSA GABRIEL ARCHANGELUS
100m
Chiesa di S. Paolo a Ripa d'Arno
09-10-2020
Amore e Potere in Kinzica
160m
Centro Città
20-02-2016
Il dietro le quinte. Persone, oggetti e lavoro
230m
Torre Guelfa
11-04-2016