Chiesa di Santa Cristina
The earliest mention of a Church dedicated to St. Christina is in an 8th century AD index of documents, but only after the year 1000 is it reported to be in the Chinzica area, south of the River Arno. From documents in the early Middle Ages we know that the Church had a porch in front and the room at the base of the bell tower was let as a workshop.
The appearance of the church today, built north-west - south-east and facing the Lungarno. is the result of renovation in the 19th century. It is plastered overall, with the exception of the apse at the eastern end, next to the 19th century bell tower, with a single nave and pitched roof.
The apse, perhaps dating from the 10th or 11th century, is the oldest remaining part: a series of pilasters and half columns, linked by round dead arches that surround alternating rhombs and rosettes, divide it into segments. Below, in the central part, there are bricked-up round-arched slit windows. Its chief characteristic is the variety of materials used, all from the area around Pisa and Livorno and worked in various ways, mixed with bricks recovered from older buildings. It is unclear whether this is the result of work carried out at the one time or the result of several adaptations.
The inside is simple, it houses a 14th century Madonna and Child on wood, a 17th century canvas by Passignano (St. Catharine receiving the stigmata), a 17th century view of the Pisan Lungarno and a 19th century copy of the medieval Crucifix by Enrico di Tedice that once hung in this church, before which St. Catherine of Siena received the stigmata in 1375.