Teatro Rossi Aperto (Open Rossi Theatre), via Collegio Ricci
From the outside, the building does not seem to host a theatre, instead we find ourselves in the first public 'modern' theatre in Pisa, opened in 1771. After a period of splendour, when the most modern theatres were inaugurated including the Politeama Theatre (1865) and the Regio Teatro Nuovo, and then the Giuseppe Verdi Theatre (1867), the Rossi began to be used for operettas and variety shows, then became a venue for boxing matches and after that a cinema. It fell into disrepair and remained closed for a long time, until a few years ago, when it was occupied and came back to life thanks to a group of students who started organizing shows, meetings, concerts and readings. In this way, it continued to live, with a new name: the TRA, 'Teatro Rossi Aperto'www.teatrorossiaperto.it. The theatre is dedicated to Ernesto Rossi, an actor from the late nineteenth century born in Livorno.