Piazza Dante

Piazza Dante lato est (A. Matteucci)
Piazza Dante lato est (A. Matteucci)

The open space called Piazza Dante, between il palazzo della Sapienza to the south and the church of S. Frediano to the north-east, is the result of alterations to this area in the early 20th century. This airy square was created by demolishing an entire quarter of the town.
The rectangular space of the square was occupied by several clusters of buildings, facing on to the extension of via l’Arancio, one of which was the Church of S. Isidoro, first mentioned in 1030, that became an oratory at the end of the 16th century.
Archaeological investigations in 1991, concerning two parts of the square, discovered the outer wall of the Church and the foundations of several houses built along the north-south extension of via Pasquale Paoli. These buildings dated from the middle ages, between the 11th and the 12th centuries.
Along the south side of Piazza Dante are the north wall of the University Sapienza building and the front of the 20th century Cassa di Risparmio di Pisa Bank head offices; on the corner that leads to Piazza Carrara is the Regio Teatro, later the Rossi theatre.

Last update: 15/07/2020
CUORE DI PISA
80m
Piazza San Frediano
Recapito 050 577521
L'ARCHIVOLTO
120m
Via Curtatone e Montanara, 11/2
Recapito 347 6865378
GALILEO
150m
Via Santa Maria, 12
Recapito 339 1743810
AFFITTACAMERE DI VALTER PARDINI
170m
Santa Maria, 37 piano 3°
Recapito 340 4093733
TRATTORIA DA STELIO DI BERRETTA MAURIZIO
10m
Piazza Dante Alighieri, 11
Recapito 050 2200171
DA MATTEO
20m
Via L'Arancio, 48
Recapito 050 41057
PISA PIZZA
90m
Via Curtatone E Montanara, 19/21
Recapito 050 20320
RISTORANTE TURIDDO
90m
Piazza San Frediano, 12
Recapito 050 3137955,050 580600