Former Redini Theatre
The theatre, inaugurated in the autumn of 1901 in the quarter of San Martino not far from the Church of S. Bernardo, took its name from the founder, Giuseppe Redini. Born to a family of farmers from near Mantua, he became a well-known orthopedic specialist. He began work on his theatre towards the end of the 19th century and opened it to the townspeople on the threshold of the 20th century.
It was a simple building, a rectangular hall with a gallery and four boxes along one side. The golden age of the theatre was at the time of Giolitti (1901-1914) and it was often used by anarchists, probably because of Redini’s Republican and libertarian leanings.
Performances became much less frequent after the first world war, and in the 1930s, the theatre was bought by the painter and engraver Giuseppe Viviani: it ceased functioning during the second world war. It became a roller skating rink, then a dance hall and finally a cinema, until it became a workshop and storehouse.
All that remains of the theatre today is the sign above the entrance and a wood carving in the lunette above the arch, of a Muse, probably Terpsichore, playing the lyre.