Chiesa di San Ranierino
The Church of Saints Ranieri and Leonardo, designed by Paolo Folini, was built between 1865 and 1868 to replace the 16th century Church of the same name in Piazza del Duomo. It is on a street that was built to enhance Piazza dei Miracoli, a project promoted by the Prefect Luigi Torelli in 1862. A street approaching the Tower from the east to display its slant to the best effect was one of the many improvements. The new street crossed via Traversa (leading to the square in front of the Archbishop’s Palace) and it was decided to build the church of San Ranerino at this point. The new Church was made from the same materials and to the same measurements as the one that had been dismantled.
The plaster front is flanked by pilasters and completed with a triangular pediment. Above the door is a round window. The lintel bears an inscription with the date when the Church was founded. The plain interior has a barrel vault painted with a starry sky by Raffaello Bardelli (1867-1869).
The main altar, of monumental proportions, was built in several stages by various Masters. The sculptures are by the Florentine artist, Andrea Guardi, who worked for the Opera del Duomo (Cathedral Works) in 1451 on modernising the already-existing altar of San Ranieri, made by Tino da Camaino (a pupil of Giovanni Pisano from Siena) in the early 14thcentury. The altar is decorated with a canvas of The Madonna and Saints Torpè and Leonard (1590-1591), considered to be one of the best by the Pisan painter Aurelio Lomi.