Porta del Parlascio (lonewolf76, wikimediacommons) photogallery Porta del Parlascio (lonewolf76, wikimediacommons)

The city gate and walls at Largo Parlascio were built in 1157 as part of the 4th construction lot of the medieval city walls. Porta Parlascio takes its name from a place-name probably of Longobard origin that indicated the north east area of the city. It led straight to the main street that crossed the town from north to south and was connected tothe road to Lucca via a bridge over the river Auser, flowing immediately outside the walls.
The size of the gate and the brackets carved with a pattern of foliage indicate the importance of this gate. It was the largest of all the city gates. In fact it was so large that it had to be made smaller shortly after completion, as can be seen from the brickwork still visible under the arch.
Porta Parlascio was a fortified gate with two stone towers on the outside to guard and defend. In 1995, archaeologists searching beneath the gate found the original street surfaced with pebbles and cobblestones.
After the first conquest of the city by Florence in the early 1400s, the medieval gate was reinforced with an outer gate designed by Filippo Brunelleschi. In 1543the medieval structure was converted into a bastion by the architect Nanni Unghero, with a five-sided rampart that is still standing. Entry via the gate was closed.
The bastion is at present derelict; during the second world war it was used as an air-raid shelter.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (A. Alberti; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Largo Parlascio, 14, 56123 Pisa
Connected routes: San Francesco nord
Bibliography:

E. Tolaini, Forma Pisarum, Nistri Lischi Editori, Pisa, 1992
E. Tolaini, Le mura del XII secolo e altre fortificazioni nella storia urbana di Pisa, Bandecchi & Vivaldi, Pontedera 2005.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY SAN FRANCESCO NORD

Piazza Martiri della Libertà (Gabriele Gattiglia) Piazza Martiri della Libertà (Gabriele Gattiglia)
This square was designed by the architect Alessandro Gherardesca by will of the Grand ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di Santa Caterina (F. Anichini) Facciata - Chiesa di Santa Caterina (F. Anichini)
The Church, dedicated to St. ...
read more
Chiostro gesuita - Palazzo della Scuola Sant’Anna (D. Tarantino) Chiostro gesuita - Palazzo della Scuola Sant’Anna (D. Tarantino)
Since 1987 this building has been the headquarters of the Scuola Superiore S. Anna. ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Zeno (M. Febbraro) Facciata - Chiesa di San Zeno (M. Febbraro)
The Church of San Zeno is first mentioned in 1029, although alterations to the ...
read more
Interno - Chiesa di Sant’Anna (F.Delu, wikimediacommons) Interno - Chiesa di Sant’Anna (F.Delu, wikimediacommons)
The church and nunnery were built by Benedictine nuns from S. ...
read more
Terme di Nerone (vitaperimmagini.blogspot.it) Terme di Nerone (vitaperimmagini.blogspot.it)
Since the 13th century these ruins, known as "Bagni di Nerone" (Nero’s Baths) have ...
read more
Walking in the City

Walls and Gate at Parlascio

Porta del Parlascio (lonewolf76, wikimediacommons)

The city gate and walls at Largo Parlascio were built in 1157 as part of the 4th construction lot of the medieval city walls. Porta Parlascio takes its name from a place-name probably of Longobard origin that indicated the north east area of the city. It led straight to the main street that crossed the town from north to south and was connected tothe road to Lucca via a bridge over the river Auser, flowing immediately outside the walls.
The size of the gate and the brackets carved with a pattern of foliage indicate the importance of this gate. It was the largest of all the city gates. In fact it was so large that it had to be made smaller shortly after completion, as can be seen from the brickwork still visible under the arch.
Porta Parlascio was a fortified gate with two stone towers on the outside to guard and defend. In 1995, archaeologists searching beneath the gate found the original street surfaced with pebbles and cobblestones.
After the first conquest of the city by Florence in the early 1400s, the medieval gate was reinforced with an outer gate designed by Filippo Brunelleschi. In 1543the medieval structure was converted into a bastion by the architect Nanni Unghero, with a five-sided rampart that is still standing. Entry via the gate was closed.
The bastion is at present derelict; during the second world war it was used as an air-raid shelter.

Address:
Bibliography:

E. Tolaini, Forma Pisarum, Nistri Lischi Editori, Pisa, 1992
E. Tolaini, Le mura del XII secolo e altre fortificazioni nella storia urbana di Pisa, Bandecchi & Vivaldi, Pontedera 2005.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
URBAN ARCHITECTURE
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

PIZZERIA AL BAGNO DI NERONE29m

Largo Parlascio, 26 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 24321

PIZZERIA LE MURA37m

Lg. Parlascio, 33/34 - Pisa
Tel.: 393 2257773

RISTORANTE NANDO87m

Via Matilde Contessa, 6/8 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 8310918,393 1170753,050 830672

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

A CASA DOINA \"TOWER\"33m

Largo del Parlascio, 10 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 5201596
E-mail: tower@bbacasadoina.it
Sito: www.bbacasadoina.it

ADA81m

Due Arni, 17 - Barbaricina - Pisa
Tel.: 3395400186
E-mail: ik56km@hotmail.it

LUIGINO BED & BREAKFAST81m

Cerboni, 84 - San Marco - Pisa
Tel.: 050 29191
E-mail: samuele.fusi@gmail.com

VIEW ALL