Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia) photogallery Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia)

Via Ulisse Dini goes from Borgo Stretto to Piazza dei Cavalieri. The street was named after the Pisan mathematician and Senator (1845-1918) who discovered the theorem that bears his name, and whose statue stands beside the Church of S. Stefano dei Cavalieri.
In Etruscan times, this street was a stream in a residential area, with wooden buildings belonging to members of a high social class built along its banks. We know very little about the area in Roman times, but it appears there were gardens, perhaps belonging to some domus. In the middle ages, the street was called via de fabricis, because of the many forges operating here from early medieval times. It connected the Church of Sts. Felice and Regolo (in piazza S. Felice di Nola,1) to S. Sebastiano alle Fabbriche Maggiori, more or less where the Church of S. Stefano dei Cavalieri stands now. In the 12th century a few private and public dwellings (case-torri) were built along this street, the stone arches of which can still be seen today. In the 14th century, immediately behind the buildings on the north side of the street were metalworkers’ workshops, where objects in iron and bronze were made. Later these were transferred out of town for reasons public decency.
In the 15th and 16th centuries the appearance of this street began to change radically. Many medieval case torri were joined together to make new buildings, like the Palazzo del Capitano on the south side; others were demolished and replaced by gardens - these too, later demolished, together with the Church of S. Sebastiano, to make way for the new church of S. Stefano dei Cavalieri.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (G. Gattiglia; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Via Ulisse Dini, 18, 56126 Pisa
Connected routes: Piazza dei Miracoli
Bibliography:

F. Anichini, G. Gattiglia, Nuovi dati sulla topografia di Pisa medievale tra X e XVI secolo. Le indagini archeologiche di Piazza Sant’Omobono, Via Uffizi, Via Consoli del Mare e Via Gereschi, in “Archeologia Medievale”, XXXV (2008), pp. 113-142

STILL IN THE ITINERARY PIAZZA DEI MIRACOLI

Facciata e ingresso del Museo - Orto Botanico (D. Tarantino) Facciata e ingresso del Museo - Orto Botanico (D. Tarantino)
Created by order of Cosimo I de’ Medici on the iniziative of the great botanist, Luca ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Tedeschi (D. Tarantino) Facciata - Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Tedeschi (D. Tarantino)
The name of this Church comes from the battle of Montecatini (1315) during which ...
read more
Bambino in fasce sopra il portale - Ospizio dei Trovatelli (F. Anichini) Bambino in fasce sopra il portale - Ospizio dei Trovatelli (F. Anichini)
The Foundlings’ Hospital (Ospizio dei Trovatelli) was built in 1315. ...
read more
Battistero di San Giovanni  (Antonio Alberti) Battistero di San Giovanni  (Antonio Alberti)
The Baptistry was begun in 1152 but it took over two centuries to complete. ...
read more
Edificio - Campo Santo Monumentale (A, Alberti) Edificio - Campo Santo Monumentale (A, Alberti)
The Cemetery, forming a backdrop to the Cathedral place on its north side, was the ...
read more
Facciata - Cattedrale di Santa Maria (A. Alberti) Facciata - Cattedrale di Santa Maria (A. Alberti)
The earliest mention of the cathedral dates from 748, although a bishop is known in ...
read more
La torre pendente (A. Alberti) La torre pendente (A. Alberti)
On 9th August 1173, work began on the foundations of the bell tower for the Cathedral ...
read more
Interno - Museo delle Sinopie (Joanbanjo, wikimediacommons) Interno - Museo delle Sinopie (Joanbanjo, wikimediacommons)
The premises of the museum were once the ancient Spedale Nuovo, built in mid 13th ...
read more
Chiostro con loggiato interno - Museo dell'Opera del Duomo (www.toscanissima.com) Chiostro con loggiato interno - Museo dell'Opera del Duomo (www.toscanissima.com)
In the 9th century the museum premises housed the Canons; the cloister dates from the ...
read more
Walking in the City

Via Ulisse Dini

Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia)

Via Ulisse Dini goes from Borgo Stretto to Piazza dei Cavalieri. The street was named after the Pisan mathematician and Senator (1845-1918) who discovered the theorem that bears his name, and whose statue stands beside the Church of S. Stefano dei Cavalieri.
In Etruscan times, this street was a stream in a residential area, with wooden buildings belonging to members of a high social class built along its banks. We know very little about the area in Roman times, but it appears there were gardens, perhaps belonging to some domus. In the middle ages, the street was called via de fabricis, because of the many forges operating here from early medieval times. It connected the Church of Sts. Felice and Regolo (in piazza S. Felice di Nola,1) to S. Sebastiano alle Fabbriche Maggiori, more or less where the Church of S. Stefano dei Cavalieri stands now. In the 12th century a few private and public dwellings (case-torri) were built along this street, the stone arches of which can still be seen today. In the 14th century, immediately behind the buildings on the north side of the street were metalworkers’ workshops, where objects in iron and bronze were made. Later these were transferred out of town for reasons public decency.
In the 15th and 16th centuries the appearance of this street began to change radically. Many medieval case torri were joined together to make new buildings, like the Palazzo del Capitano on the south side; others were demolished and replaced by gardens - these too, later demolished, together with the Church of S. Sebastiano, to make way for the new church of S. Stefano dei Cavalieri.

Address:
Bibliography:

F. Anichini, G. Gattiglia, Nuovi dati sulla topografia di Pisa medievale tra X e XVI secolo. Le indagini archeologiche di Piazza Sant’Omobono, Via Uffizi, Via Consoli del Mare e Via Gereschi, in “Archeologia Medievale”, XXXV (2008), pp. 113-142

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
URBAN ARCHITECTURE
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

PIZZERIA IL MONTINO27m

V. Monte, 1 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 598695

LA CLESSIDRA75m

Via Del Castelletto, 30 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 540160

CAGLIOSTRO RISTORANTE - ENOTECA75m

Via Del Castelletto, 26 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 575413

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

PENSIONATO UNIVERSITARIO SANTA MARTA74m

Via Tavoleria, 7 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 580590 - 3341396
E-mail: pensionatounivs.marta@virgilio.it

AFFITTACAMERE M. GORKIJ DI LAZZERINI LUCA75m

Piazza Giovan Battista Donati, 13 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 580395 - 334 132
E-mail: info@gorkij.it
Sito: www.gorkij.it

RINASCENTE76m

Via del Castelletto, 28 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 580460
E-mail: info@rinascentehotel.com
Sito: www.rinascentehotel.com

VIEW ALL