Esterno - Palazzo Bertolli Carranza, Via S. Martino (M. Baldassarri) photogallery Esterno - Palazzo Bertolli Carranza, Via S. Martino (M. Baldassarri)

Walking westwards along via San Martino you meet palazzo Bertolli Carranza. The original nucleus was a group of buildings constructed after 1195 by the Del Testa family, rich trades-people. The medieval tower houses were converted into a spacious palazzo or mansion, commissioned by Alessandro Del Testa in 1764. In 1885 the palazzo was bought by Livio Carranza who re-decorated the rooms.
On the opposite side of the street is palazzo Manetti. Some medieval stonework can be seen on the side; at the back is a brick-built tower with a two-light mullioned window in marble. Over the centuries the palazzo underwent several changes; it was bought by the Manetti family in the 17th century. In the 1800s it was linked to the building on the east side by closing an alleyway.

A little further on, is palazzo Triglia. During the Medici period it was known as “dell’Abbondanza” (Abundance) because on the ground floor cereals were stored in large brick silos and there were “stoves” for drying the grain. Later this storehouse was restructured and greatly transformed. On the façade is a coat of arms with a crest.

Also to be admired near palazzo Salviati is palazzo Franceschi, now occupied by the Bank of Italy. It was the home of the Counts Franceschi family and reaches back to Lungarno Galilei. The neoclassical facade was added in the second half of the 18th century by the architect Ignazio Pellegrini. The rooms are decorated with frescos by Tempesti, Tarocchi e Bezzuoli.

Near the end of the street is palazzo Cevoli. It became a nobleman’s palazzo in the 1600s, by combining several case-torri and closing some medieval alleyways.
During renovation the plaster was removed from the façade on Via S. Martino and the medieval pilasters can be seen with segmental arches and brickwork between them. The windows with attractive surrounds in grey sandstone were added the 1700s.
This building is famous because in 1709 King Frederic IV of Denmark stayed here. For the occasion, some of the rooms on the first floor were painted with frescos by Ferretti and Gherardini.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (M. Baldassarri; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Via San Martino, 49, 56125 Pisa
Connected routes: San Martino
Bibliography:

M.A. Di Paco Triglia, Una casa di Via San Martino: il Palazzo dell’Abbondanza, Felici Editore, Pisa 2002.

O. Niglio, Il palazzo Bertolli Carranza: una dimora nobiliare nel centro storico di Pisa, Condotte Immobiliare, Roma 2005.

Palazzo Cevoli e le mura dipinte, “Architetture Pisane”, 9 (2006).

STILL IN THE ITINERARY SAN MARTINO

Piazza Chiara Gambacorti (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Piazza Chiara Gambacorti (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
In 2004 this square and the remains of the medieval church of S. ...
read more
Lunetta sopra la porta di accesso - Ex Teatro Redini (M. Baldassarri) Lunetta sopra la porta di accesso - Ex Teatro Redini (M. Baldassarri)
This theatre takes its name from its founder Giuseppe Redini, a medical specialist ...
read more
Facciata - Palazzo Salviati (www.pisaoggi.it/Guida-di-Pisa/Palazzi) Facciata - Palazzo Salviati (www.pisaoggi.it/Guida-di-Pisa/Palazzi)
This palazzo is an agglomeration of medieval buildings, joined to one another by the ...
read more
Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174) Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174)
This octagonal Church, built from locally quarried stone and lit by slit windows, is ...
read more
Nino Pisano (attrib.), Madonna in trono col Bambino detta Madonna dei Vetturini, Museo Nazionale di San Matteo: da Pisa nei secoli. L’arte, la storia, la tradizione, 2, a cura di A. Zampieri, Pisa, ETS, 2003, p. 134, fig. 56 Nino Pisano (attrib.), Madonna in trono col Bambino detta Madonna dei Vetturini, Museo Nazionale di San Matteo: da Pisa nei secoli. L’arte, la storia, la tradizione, 2, a cura di A. Zampieri, Pisa, ETS, 2003, p. 134, fig. 56
At the end of the 16th century the wooden statue of the Madonna and Child was ...
read more
Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia) Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia)
This palazzo takes its name from the Lanfranchi family who re-structured it and lived ...
read more
Walking in the City

Via S. Martino - Palazzi

Esterno - Palazzo Bertolli Carranza, Via S. Martino (M. Baldassarri)

Walking westwards along via San Martino you meet palazzo Bertolli Carranza. The original nucleus was a group of buildings constructed after 1195 by the Del Testa family, rich trades-people. The medieval tower houses were converted into a spacious palazzo or mansion, commissioned by Alessandro Del Testa in 1764. In 1885 the palazzo was bought by Livio Carranza who re-decorated the rooms.
On the opposite side of the street is palazzo Manetti. Some medieval stonework can be seen on the side; at the back is a brick-built tower with a two-light mullioned window in marble. Over the centuries the palazzo underwent several changes; it was bought by the Manetti family in the 17th century. In the 1800s it was linked to the building on the east side by closing an alleyway.

A little further on, is palazzo Triglia. During the Medici period it was known as “dell’Abbondanza” (Abundance) because on the ground floor cereals were stored in large brick silos and there were “stoves” for drying the grain. Later this storehouse was restructured and greatly transformed. On the façade is a coat of arms with a crest.

Also to be admired near palazzo Salviati is palazzo Franceschi, now occupied by the Bank of Italy. It was the home of the Counts Franceschi family and reaches back to Lungarno Galilei. The neoclassical facade was added in the second half of the 18th century by the architect Ignazio Pellegrini. The rooms are decorated with frescos by Tempesti, Tarocchi e Bezzuoli.

Near the end of the street is palazzo Cevoli. It became a nobleman’s palazzo in the 1600s, by combining several case-torri and closing some medieval alleyways.
During renovation the plaster was removed from the façade on Via S. Martino and the medieval pilasters can be seen with segmental arches and brickwork between them. The windows with attractive surrounds in grey sandstone were added the 1700s.
This building is famous because in 1709 King Frederic IV of Denmark stayed here. For the occasion, some of the rooms on the first floor were painted with frescos by Ferretti and Gherardini.

Address:
Bibliography:

M.A. Di Paco Triglia, Una casa di Via San Martino: il Palazzo dell’Abbondanza, Felici Editore, Pisa 2002.

O. Niglio, Il palazzo Bertolli Carranza: una dimora nobiliare nel centro storico di Pisa, Condotte Immobiliare, Roma 2005.

Palazzo Cevoli e le mura dipinte, “Architetture Pisane”, 9 (2006).

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
URBAN ARCHITECTURE
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

NUMERO UNDICI DI GRIFFA MARCO7m

Via S. Martino, 47 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 27282

AL-MADINA14m

Via S. Martino, 41/45 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 20409

RISTORANTE OSTERIA L'ARTILAFO34m

V. S. Martino, 33 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 27010

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

CASA PER FERIE PADRE AGOSTINO72m

Via San Bernardo, 25 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 502245
E-mail: casaperferie@suorefigliedinazareth.it
Sito: www.istitutosuorefigliedinazareth.it

LA DIMORA123m

Via San Bernardo, 22 - Pisa
Tel.: 342 0556811
E-mail: ladimora2012@gmail.com

ALICE FERRISI C167m

Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, n° 23, int. C - Pisa
Tel.: 338 7914208
E-mail: ferrisialice@gmail.com

VIEW ALL