Complesso Miniati Mazzarosa - Via S. Maria (M. Baldassarri) photogallery Complesso Miniati Mazzarosa - Via S. Maria (M. Baldassarri)

Walking southwards along via S. Maria towards the Arno, you can admire many historical buildings, evidence of the development of this part of the city beginning in the 12th century.

On the corner of via Galvani is palazzo Agonigi da Scorno. It is a 12th century building re-adapted in modern times. It was rebuilt to a great extent after damage in the second world war. Two large stone arches of the original tower house are visible in the facade and a few remaining traces indicate there were probably others above. The two-light mullioned windows on the first floor were reconstructed when the building was renovated by Sampaolesi, and the ground floor pilaster was replaced by an ancient column and a marble capital attributed to Biduino.

A little further on is the Miniati-Mazzarosa building, the result of combiningseveral houses dating from the mid 12th to 14th centuries. The oldest houses are those on via S. Maria and were built during the rapid urban expansion in this area, where many furriers worked. The building has had several renovations over the centuries, including the mid 19th century windows inserted into the large pointed arches of the facade.

On the same side of the street is palazzo Curini Quaratesi, with an elegant facade designed by the Flemish artist Francavilla in the late 16th century; above the door is a marble bust of Ferdinand I de’ Medici.

Almost opposite is a building usually known as palazzo Ricci, although Collegio Ricci was actually on the west side of piazza Dante. This building too was made by joining several medieval buildings together, parts of which can be seen in the courtyard. The facades are in the Florentine 18th century style but already by the early 1800s, the building had mostly acquired it present appearance. After work directed by Severini in the 1960s it was taken over by Pisa University.

Near the end of the street is the palazzo delle Vedove (Widows’ Palace). During the middle ages it was the domus of the Bocci, built in a strategic position close to the Ponte Nuovo now no longer existing.
Originally the building was elongated with a porch; it was greatly modified during the Renaissance, but is still visible on the outside. The building was re-styled in the 1500s, and used by the “widows” of the Medici family, who entered it from the Royal Palace via an overhead closed bridge that still crosses the end of via S. Maria.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (M. Baldassarri; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Via Santa Maria, 71, 56126 Pisa
Connected routes: Santa Maria est
Bibliography:

L. Pasquinucci, a cura di, Pisa ritrovata. Il complesso Miniati-Mazzarosa in via S.Maria nel contesto dell'edilizia medievale pisana, Pacini Editore, Pisa 1999.

Livorno e Pisa: due città e un territorio nella politica dei Medici, Nistri Lischi e Pacini Editori, Pisa 1980, pp. 273-275.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY SANTA MARIA EST

Statua raffigurante Mosè, A. Vaccà, XVIII secolo - Palazzo dell’Arcivescovado (F. Anichini) Statua raffigurante Mosè, A. Vaccà, XVIII secolo - Palazzo dell’Arcivescovado (F. Anichini)
The Archbishop’s Palace today is the result of re-structuring under the prelate ...
read more
Facciata -  Chiesa di San Torpé (D. Tarantino) Facciata -  Chiesa di San Torpé (D. Tarantino)
The Church and adjoining convent, founded between 1254 and 1278, belonged to the ...
read more
Facciata  - Chiesa S. Giuseppe (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Facciata  - Chiesa S. Giuseppe (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
This Church, founded in 1530, was the first part of a large convent completed in 1534. ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di S. Apollonia (Lucarelli, wikimediacommos) Facciata - Chiesa di S. Apollonia (Lucarelli, wikimediacommos)
This Church, named S. Pietro in 1116, is documented as S. ...
read more
Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino) Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino)
This square is the result of re-styling ordered by Cosimo I in 1558 and entrusted to ...
read more
Piazza delle Vettovaglie vista dall'angolo nord-est (X. de Jauréguiberry) Piazza delle Vettovaglie vista dall'angolo nord-est (X. de Jauréguiberry)
The square was shaped when this part of the town centre was redesigned under Medici ...
read more
Campano - Torre del Campano e altri edifici medievali (M. Febbraro) Campano - Torre del Campano e altri edifici medievali (M. Febbraro)
The most famous building on Via Calvalca is the tall Campano (bell) Tower with ...
read more
Parte della facciata - La Sapienza (D. Stiaffini) Parte della facciata - La Sapienza (D. Stiaffini)
The Foundation Deeds of Sapienza are dated 1472 when Lorenzo il Magnifico ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Frediano (Francesca Anichini) Facciata - Chiesa di San Frediano (Francesca Anichini)
The church of S. Frediano is first mentioned in 1061. ...
read more
Walking in the City

Via S. Maria, meridione

Complesso Miniati Mazzarosa - Via S. Maria (M. Baldassarri)

Walking southwards along via S. Maria towards the Arno, you can admire many historical buildings, evidence of the development of this part of the city beginning in the 12th century.

On the corner of via Galvani is palazzo Agonigi da Scorno. It is a 12th century building re-adapted in modern times. It was rebuilt to a great extent after damage in the second world war. Two large stone arches of the original tower house are visible in the facade and a few remaining traces indicate there were probably others above. The two-light mullioned windows on the first floor were reconstructed when the building was renovated by Sampaolesi, and the ground floor pilaster was replaced by an ancient column and a marble capital attributed to Biduino.

A little further on is the Miniati-Mazzarosa building, the result of combiningseveral houses dating from the mid 12th to 14th centuries. The oldest houses are those on via S. Maria and were built during the rapid urban expansion in this area, where many furriers worked. The building has had several renovations over the centuries, including the mid 19th century windows inserted into the large pointed arches of the facade.

On the same side of the street is palazzo Curini Quaratesi, with an elegant facade designed by the Flemish artist Francavilla in the late 16th century; above the door is a marble bust of Ferdinand I de’ Medici.

Almost opposite is a building usually known as palazzo Ricci, although Collegio Ricci was actually on the west side of piazza Dante. This building too was made by joining several medieval buildings together, parts of which can be seen in the courtyard. The facades are in the Florentine 18th century style but already by the early 1800s, the building had mostly acquired it present appearance. After work directed by Severini in the 1960s it was taken over by Pisa University.

Near the end of the street is the palazzo delle Vedove (Widows’ Palace). During the middle ages it was the domus of the Bocci, built in a strategic position close to the Ponte Nuovo now no longer existing.
Originally the building was elongated with a porch; it was greatly modified during the Renaissance, but is still visible on the outside. The building was re-styled in the 1500s, and used by the “widows” of the Medici family, who entered it from the Royal Palace via an overhead closed bridge that still crosses the end of via S. Maria.

Address:
Bibliography:

L. Pasquinucci, a cura di, Pisa ritrovata. Il complesso Miniati-Mazzarosa in via S.Maria nel contesto dell'edilizia medievale pisana, Pacini Editore, Pisa 1999.

Livorno e Pisa: due città e un territorio nella politica dei Medici, Nistri Lischi e Pacini Editori, Pisa 1980, pp. 273-275.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

OSTERIA I SANTI LA BAGATTELLA13m

V. S. Maria, 71 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 28081

IL CANGURO66m

Via Santa Maria, 151 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 561942

RISTORANTE OSTERIA DEI MILLE84m

Via Dei Mille, 32 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 556263

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

IL TOSCANO B&B18m

Piazza Arcivescovado, 13 - 2°p. - Pisa
Tel.: 393 9921728
E-mail: nicola@iltoscanobnb.it

LOCANDA LA LANTERNA48m

Via Santa Maria, 111-113 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 830305

BED & TOWER50m

Via Santa Maria, 77 - Pisa
Tel.: 389 3116049
E-mail: bedandtowerpisa@gmail.com

VIEW ALL