Sala di culto - Sinagoga (M. Tognietti) photogallery Sala di culto - Sinagoga (M. Tognietti)

The Synagogue stands close to the city centre, near the Teatro Verdi and the church of S. Andrea. It was inaugurated in September 1595, and is still used for worship. Jews are known to have been in Pisa at least since the end of the 14thcentury and the building that once occupied the space where the Temple now stands was already let to a family of Israelites in 1434.
The early nucleus of the Synagogue was basically just one house but later other rooms and storerooms were added, allowing a kosher butcher and baths for ritual ablutions to be opened adjacent to it. In 1780, the year when even the Grand Duke Peter Leopold visited the temple, it was the pride of the Pisan Jewish Community for its size and beauty.
The Synagogue has changed since the Grand Duke’s day. It was completely restructured in 1861-65, by the architect Treves from Vercelli (1814-1898), who had studied in Paris and London and had taken part in re-structuring the Louvre and the Tuileries. He aimed to create a geometric, linear building, similar in style to the Tuscan Renaissance. The rooms inside were enlarged and the ceilings raised and decorated with refined classical details still visible, such as the painted ceiling in the place of worship, the Aron in the shape of an aedicule with a triangular pediment and Corinthian columns, the false coffered ceiling and the women’s gallery resting on columns with ionic capitals and a baluster of Corinthian columns.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (M. Tognietti; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Via Palestro, 22-24, 56127 Pisa
Connected routes: San Francesco sud
Bibliography:

M. Luzzati, (a cura di), La Sinagoga di Pisa. Dalle origini al restauro di Marco Treves, Edifir, Firenze 1997.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY SAN FRANCESCO SUD

Scorcio - Piazza Cairoli, o della Berlina (www.toscana4u.net) Scorcio - Piazza Cairoli, o della Berlina (www.toscana4u.net)
The square as we see it it today was designed during the reign of Cosimo I de Medici, ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Pietro in Vincoli (P. Fisicaro) Facciata - Chiesa di San Pietro in Vincoli (P. Fisicaro)
Originally, the Church of S. ...
read more
Interno (sala con platea e palchi) - Teatro Verdi (www.ediliziainrete.it) Interno (sala con platea e palchi) - Teatro Verdi (www.ediliziainrete.it)
The idea of a new theatre for the town had been circulating since 1830 but the ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di Sant'Andrea in Foriporta (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Facciata - Chiesa di Sant'Andrea in Foriporta (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
The earliest mention of this Church is in 1104. ...
read more
Epigrafe - Casa natale di Galileo Galilei (A. Sobrero) Epigrafe - Casa natale di Galileo Galilei (A. Sobrero)
Because the birth of this great scientist was registered as taking place in the ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa e chiostro di San Francesco (C. Balbarini) Facciata - Chiesa e chiostro di San Francesco (C. Balbarini)
The church, documented in 1233, had an important public function: it included a ...
read more
La Limonaia (F. Anichini) La Limonaia (F. Anichini)
The Limonaia behind palazzo Ruschi is a typical example of a construction built to ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di S. Paolo all’Orto (G. Gattiglia) Facciata - Chiesa di S. Paolo all’Orto (G. Gattiglia)
The Church is documented from 1086. ...
read more
Gipsoteca di arte antica (Comune di Pisa, Cultura) Gipsoteca di arte antica (Comune di Pisa, Cultura)
The University of Pisa collection of plaster casts was initiated (1887) by Gherardo ...
read more
Walking in the City

The Synagogue

Sala di culto - Sinagoga (M. Tognietti)

The Synagogue stands close to the city centre, near the Teatro Verdi and the church of S. Andrea. It was inaugurated in September 1595, and is still used for worship. Jews are known to have been in Pisa at least since the end of the 14thcentury and the building that once occupied the space where the Temple now stands was already let to a family of Israelites in 1434.
The early nucleus of the Synagogue was basically just one house but later other rooms and storerooms were added, allowing a kosher butcher and baths for ritual ablutions to be opened adjacent to it. In 1780, the year when even the Grand Duke Peter Leopold visited the temple, it was the pride of the Pisan Jewish Community for its size and beauty.
The Synagogue has changed since the Grand Duke’s day. It was completely restructured in 1861-65, by the architect Treves from Vercelli (1814-1898), who had studied in Paris and London and had taken part in re-structuring the Louvre and the Tuileries. He aimed to create a geometric, linear building, similar in style to the Tuscan Renaissance. The rooms inside were enlarged and the ceilings raised and decorated with refined classical details still visible, such as the painted ceiling in the place of worship, the Aron in the shape of an aedicule with a triangular pediment and Corinthian columns, the false coffered ceiling and the women’s gallery resting on columns with ionic capitals and a baluster of Corinthian columns.

Address:
Bibliography:

M. Luzzati, (a cura di), La Sinagoga di Pisa. Dalle origini al restauro di Marco Treves, Edifir, Firenze 1997.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
PLACES OF WORSHIP
ContattiContacts
Tel e Fax: 050/542580 ogni lunedì e giovedì feriali dalle ore 09:30 alle ore 13:30 e dalle ore 15:00 alle ore 17:00 Email: com_ebraicapi@tin.it
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

IL FANTASMA DELL'OPERA3m

Via Palestro, 20 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 542402

GT SERVICES SRL26m

Via Palestro, 29 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 580794

RISTORANTE LA PERGOLETTA54m

Via Delle Belle Torri, 40 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 542458

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

VERDI109m

Piazza della Repubblica, 5-6 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 598947
E-mail: info@verdihotel.it
Sito: www.verdihotel.it

GEOGLOBE177m

Via E. Sighieri, 17 - Pisa
Tel.: 347 3057018
E-mail: paolo.l@tin.it

PONTE DI MEZZO204m

Piazza Garibaldi, 12 - Pisa
Tel.: 349 0880688
E-mail: info@pontedimezzo.com
Sito: www.pontedimezzo.com

VIEW ALL