Ponte di Mezzo (Daderot, wikimediacommons) photogallery Ponte di Mezzo (Daderot, wikimediacommons)

The bridge is 89 metres long has a single arch 12.5metres high; it is constructed in reinforced concrete and faced with white Verona stone. Destroyed by Allied bombing during the last war, it was built in its present form, to a plan chosen by the townspeople in a referendum, by the Aussant, Bellucci, Salghetti-Drioli, Trinci, Morganti, Bertini group (1946-1950).
In Roman times, the banks of the river Arno were linked by a bridge near the church of S. Cristina, along the Aemila Scauri Consular way, now via S. Martino. The crossing over the Arno was probably moved to its present position in the 11th century. Until 1183 it was the only bridge, and was called ponte de Arno, but after floods in 1179 destroyed all the bridges, including the ponte pisano, it was decided to build another one at the end of Via S. Maria and to re-build the ponte de Arno, which then acquired the name of ponte Vecchio. The bridge was crowded with buildings, shops and stalls that made the most of its central position on the main thoroughfare that crossed Pisa from north to south.
The bridge was repaired in 1388 by will of Pietro Gambacorti and collapsed once more in 1637. The reconstruction of a three-arched bridge, completed in 1660 by Francesco Nave, caused the demolition of several buildings on the two banks, and created a new panorama in Pisa, with the Logge dei Banchi facing directly on to the river.
Since the second half of the 17thcentury, the "Gioco del Ponte" has taken place on the bridge. It involves a struggle between teams from the two parts of Pisa, north and south of the river (Mezzogiorno and Tramontana), to win the bridge by pushing a heavy float into the adversary’s side of the bridge.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (G. Gattiglia; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Ponte di Mezzo, 1, 56125 Pisa
Connected routes: Piazza dei Miracoli
Bibliography:

F. Gurrieri, L. Bracci, G. Pedreschi, I ponti sull’Arno dal Falterona al mare, Polistampa, Firenze 1998.

E. Tolaini, Forma Pisarum, Nistri Lischi Editori, Pisa 1992, p. 115.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY PIAZZA DEI MIRACOLI

Facciata verso l'Arno - Logge dei Banchi (G. Gattiglia) Facciata verso l'Arno - Logge dei Banchi (G. Gattiglia)
Designed by Bernardo Buontalentiand built by will of the Grand Duke of Tuscany ...
read more
Palaxio nuovo - Palazzo Gambacorti (M. Febbraro) Palaxio nuovo - Palazzo Gambacorti (M. Febbraro)
Palazzo Gambacorti is the result of a long sereies of extensions and adaptations, ...
read more
Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro) Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro)
Palazzo Mosca is a combination of several buildings dating from the late 12th century ...
read more
Abside - Chiesa di Santa Cristina (M. Febbraro) Abside - Chiesa di Santa Cristina (M. Febbraro)
Mentioned for the first time in the 8th century, the Church of St. ...
read more
Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons) Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons)
In the 1300s, Palazzo Blu belonged to the Dell’Agnellos, an important family in the ...
read more
Vista dall'alto - Piazza Garibaldi (www.tabaccheria21.net) Vista dall'alto - Piazza Garibaldi (www.tabaccheria21.net)
Facing on to this square are historically important buildings that defined social and ...
read more
Facciata, su piazza Garibaldi - Casino dei nobili (A. Sobrero) Facciata, su piazza Garibaldi - Casino dei nobili (A. Sobrero)
In the Tuscan language, from at least the 16th century the word “casino” meant a ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
The Church and monastery are first mentioned in 1016 as the adaptation of a ...
read more
Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini) Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini)
The small neogothic building on via Ulisse Dini includes the remains of the Church of ...
read more
Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia) Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia)
This street is named after the Pisan mathematician and Senator (1845-1918) whose ...
read more
Walking in the City

Ponte di Mezzo

Ponte di Mezzo (Daderot, wikimediacommons)

The bridge is 89 metres long has a single arch 12.5metres high; it is constructed in reinforced concrete and faced with white Verona stone. Destroyed by Allied bombing during the last war, it was built in its present form, to a plan chosen by the townspeople in a referendum, by the Aussant, Bellucci, Salghetti-Drioli, Trinci, Morganti, Bertini group (1946-1950).
In Roman times, the banks of the river Arno were linked by a bridge near the church of S. Cristina, along the Aemila Scauri Consular way, now via S. Martino. The crossing over the Arno was probably moved to its present position in the 11th century. Until 1183 it was the only bridge, and was called ponte de Arno, but after floods in 1179 destroyed all the bridges, including the ponte pisano, it was decided to build another one at the end of Via S. Maria and to re-build the ponte de Arno, which then acquired the name of ponte Vecchio. The bridge was crowded with buildings, shops and stalls that made the most of its central position on the main thoroughfare that crossed Pisa from north to south.
The bridge was repaired in 1388 by will of Pietro Gambacorti and collapsed once more in 1637. The reconstruction of a three-arched bridge, completed in 1660 by Francesco Nave, caused the demolition of several buildings on the two banks, and created a new panorama in Pisa, with the Logge dei Banchi facing directly on to the river.
Since the second half of the 17thcentury, the "Gioco del Ponte" has taken place on the bridge. It involves a struggle between teams from the two parts of Pisa, north and south of the river (Mezzogiorno and Tramontana), to win the bridge by pushing a heavy float into the adversary’s side of the bridge.

Address:
Bibliography:

F. Gurrieri, L. Bracci, G. Pedreschi, I ponti sull’Arno dal Falterona al mare, Polistampa, Firenze 1998.

E. Tolaini, Forma Pisarum, Nistri Lischi Editori, Pisa 1992, p. 115.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
URBAN ARCHITECTURE
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

BENEDETTI ALESSANDRO79m

Via Dellʼ Aeroporto, 43 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 502268

PISAKECH DI ROMBOLI MARIA & C. SAS79m

Via Pisano Andrea, 71 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 532318

JACS DI ALBERTO MINCHIELLI E GIULIO TADDEI SNC79m

Piazza Del Pozzetto, 5 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 9914672

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

PONTE DI MEZZO60m

Piazza Garibaldi, 12 - Pisa
Tel.: 349 0880688
E-mail: info@pontedimezzo.com
Sito: www.pontedimezzo.com

LE DONZELLE DI VETTOVAGLIE B & B75m

Vicolo delle Donzelle, 3 - Pisa
Tel.: 329 8026760
E-mail: niccolain@hotmail.com
Sito: www.bbledonzelle.com

ROYAL VICTORIA HOTEL88m

Lungarno Antonio Pacinotti, 12 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 940111
E-mail: post@royalvictoria.it
Sito: www.royalvictoria.it

VIEW ALL