Facciata - Cattedrale di Santa Maria (A. Alberti) photogallery Facciata - Cattedrale di Santa Maria (A. Alberti)

The earliest mention of the cathedral dates from 748, although there must have been an older bishop’s Church, given that a bishop is known in Pisa from 313 AD. Recent archaeological investigation revealed the remains of a large ecclesiastical building, earlier than the Romanesque cathedral, but only dating from the 10th century, therefore not the building mentioned in Longobard documents.

The Romanesque cathedral in Piazza dei Miracoli was founded in 1064. Tradition relates that this was soon after Pisa’s victory over the city of Palermo. Until 1100 work was directed by the architect Buscheto, but for the final stages, when the nave was lengthened and the facade built, the new magister was Rainaldo. In 1118 the Cathedral was consecrated by Pope Gelasio II, probably before completion.

The church is built in the shape of a Latin cross, with a central nave terminating in an apse, four aisles and a transept. A particular feature of the external walls, built from marble from several localities, is the amount of re-used material, with architectural elements and inscriptions from Roman times. The north and south walls are built in different kinds of stone, corresponding to work under Buscheto and completion under Rainaldo.

The lower part of the facade is divided by six round dead arches resting on columns and capitals. The two central columns that flank the main door are carved with foliage spirals. The rhombs under the arches and the spaces above them are decorated with polychrome inlays. Above, the facade is organised in four tiers of colonnades, many columns of which were replaced in the 1500s and the 1800s. The carved freize above the first gallery, of hunting scenes, can be attributed to the workshop of Guglielmo and Rainaldo.

The Cathedral was enriched not only with sculptures, but starting from the XIII century some important paintings started to decorate its interior. In the transept can be seen the much venerated icon known as Madonna di sitti gli organi, representing the contact point between the western figurative culture and the Byzaantine one, so that the critics is still discussing about its paternity. Especially in the passing from the XIII to the XIV century, important personalities in the local scene follow one another on the scaffoldings, like the Master of San Tropé who paints the Madonna with the child in the triumphal arch, and Francesco da Pisa who begins the great mosaic of the apsidal basin realizing the Christ Almighty

The bronze doors of the facade were cast by various Florentine artists in the 17th century, but the San Ranieri door at the back, facing the Tower, was cast around 1180 by Bonanno Pisano, the only door to survive the fire in 1595. The broze door of Bonanno, similar in the formulation to that  of Monreale, completed by him a few years earlier, is parted by twenty panels representing, from bottom to the top and from the left to the right, episodes from the life of Christ from Annunciation to the Resurrection and ending with the Dormitio Virgins. 

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (A. Alberti; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Via Santa Maria, 181, 56126 Pisa
Connected routes: Piazza dei Miracoli
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, Pisa 2005, pp. 94-108.
P. Sanpaolesi, Il Duomo di Pisa, Nistri Lischi Editori, Pisa, 1975, rist. 1997.

L. Carletti, C. Giometti, A guide to the Duomo Square of Pisa, Pacini Editore, Pisa 2006.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY PIAZZA DEI MIRACOLI

Facciata e ingresso del Museo - Orto Botanico (D. Tarantino) Facciata e ingresso del Museo - Orto Botanico (D. Tarantino)
Created by order of Cosimo I de’ Medici on the iniziative of the great botanist, Luca ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Tedeschi (D. Tarantino) Facciata - Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Tedeschi (D. Tarantino)
The name of this Church comes from the battle of Montecatini (1315) during which ...
read more
Bambino in fasce sopra il portale - Ospizio dei Trovatelli (F. Anichini) Bambino in fasce sopra il portale - Ospizio dei Trovatelli (F. Anichini)
The Foundlings’ Hospital (Ospizio dei Trovatelli) was built in 1315. ...
read more
Battistero di San Giovanni  (Antonio Alberti) Battistero di San Giovanni  (Antonio Alberti)
The Baptistry was begun in 1152 but it took over two centuries to complete. ...
read more
Edificio - Campo Santo Monumentale (A, Alberti) Edificio - Campo Santo Monumentale (A, Alberti)
The Cemetery, forming a backdrop to the Cathedral place on its north side, was the ...
read more
La torre pendente (A. Alberti) La torre pendente (A. Alberti)
On 9th August 1173, work began on the foundations of the bell tower for the Cathedral ...
read more
Interno - Museo delle Sinopie (Joanbanjo, wikimediacommons) Interno - Museo delle Sinopie (Joanbanjo, wikimediacommons)
The premises of the museum were once the ancient Spedale Nuovo, built in mid 13th ...
read more
Chiostro con loggiato interno - Museo dell'Opera del Duomo (www.toscanissima.com) Chiostro con loggiato interno - Museo dell'Opera del Duomo (www.toscanissima.com)
In the 9th century the museum premises housed the Canons; the cloister dates from the ...
read more
Walking in the City

Piazza del Duomo. Cattedrale di Santa Maria

Facciata - Cattedrale di Santa Maria (A. Alberti)

The earliest mention of the cathedral dates from 748, although there must have been an older bishop’s Church, given that a bishop is known in Pisa from 313 AD. Recent archaeological investigation revealed the remains of a large ecclesiastical building, earlier than the Romanesque cathedral, but only dating from the 10th century, therefore not the building mentioned in Longobard documents.

The Romanesque cathedral in Piazza dei Miracoli was founded in 1064. Tradition relates that this was soon after Pisa’s victory over the city of Palermo. Until 1100 work was directed by the architect Buscheto, but for the final stages, when the nave was lengthened and the facade built, the new magister was Rainaldo. In 1118 the Cathedral was consecrated by Pope Gelasio II, probably before completion.

The church is built in the shape of a Latin cross, with a central nave terminating in an apse, four aisles and a transept. A particular feature of the external walls, built from marble from several localities, is the amount of re-used material, with architectural elements and inscriptions from Roman times. The north and south walls are built in different kinds of stone, corresponding to work under Buscheto and completion under Rainaldo.

The lower part of the facade is divided by six round dead arches resting on columns and capitals. The two central columns that flank the main door are carved with foliage spirals. The rhombs under the arches and the spaces above them are decorated with polychrome inlays. Above, the facade is organised in four tiers of colonnades, many columns of which were replaced in the 1500s and the 1800s. The carved freize above the first gallery, of hunting scenes, can be attributed to the workshop of Guglielmo and Rainaldo.

The Cathedral was enriched not only with sculptures, but starting from the XIII century some important paintings started to decorate its interior. In the transept can be seen the much venerated icon known as Madonna di sitti gli organi, representing the contact point between the western figurative culture and the Byzaantine one, so that the critics is still discussing about its paternity. Especially in the passing from the XIII to the XIV century, important personalities in the local scene follow one another on the scaffoldings, like the Master of San Tropé who paints the Madonna with the child in the triumphal arch, and Francesco da Pisa who begins the great mosaic of the apsidal basin realizing the Christ Almighty

The bronze doors of the facade were cast by various Florentine artists in the 17th century, but the San Ranieri door at the back, facing the Tower, was cast around 1180 by Bonanno Pisano, the only door to survive the fire in 1595. The broze door of Bonanno, similar in the formulation to that  of Monreale, completed by him a few years earlier, is parted by twenty panels representing, from bottom to the top and from the left to the right, episodes from the life of Christ from Annunciation to the Resurrection and ending with the Dormitio Virgins. 

Address:
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, Pisa 2005, pp. 94-108.
P. Sanpaolesi, Il Duomo di Pisa, Nistri Lischi Editori, Pisa, 1975, rist. 1997.

L. Carletti, C. Giometti, A guide to the Duomo Square of Pisa, Pacini Editore, Pisa 2006.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
PLACES OF WORSHIP
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

SUBWAY156m

Piazza Arcivescovado, 3, 56126 Pisa PI - Pisa
Tel.: 0508312134

DUOMO RISTORANTE - PIZZERIA170m

Via Roma, 70 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 552275,050 562352

LEANING TOWER DI CIOFFI ALFONSO E C. SNC170m

Via Roma, 70 - Pisa
Tel.: 011 5504905

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

RELAIS I MIRACOLI181m

Via Santa Maria, 187 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 560572
E-mail: info@relaisimiracoli.it
Sito: www.relaisimiracoli.it

HOTEL GIARDINO TOWER INN200m

Piazza Daniele Manin, 1 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 560771
E-mail: info@hotelilgiardino.pisa.it
Sito: www.hotelilgiardino.pisa.it

4 ROOMS BED AND BREAKFAST209m

Via Bonanno Pisano, 74 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 9911019
E-mail: info@4roomspisa.it
Sito: www.4roomspisa.it

VIEW ALL