La torre pendente (A. Alberti) photogallery La torre pendente (A. Alberti)

The Leaning Tower of Pisa is considered worldwide as one of the architectural marvels of all times, and has enticed generations of visitors, including artists, poets, scientists. its elegant white marble structure, its unique design and its peculiar tilt made it one of the symbols of Italy and a very popular international "must-see". Neverthless, the the Tower was not originally conceived as a tourist atttraction, but to provide the Cathedral of Pisa with the neccessay sound-emitting device, outlined in a significant and symbolic form. 

On 9th August 1173, work began on the foundations of the bell tower for the Cathedral of S. Maria on Piazza dei Miracoli. It was to be some distance from the church, about 56 metres tall, weighing 14.453 metric tons. Initially, the director of works was probably the architect Diotisalvi, the same person who began the Baptistery. Work stopped after the third ring because of subsidence under the foundations of the Tower. Soft groundand the fact that in ancient times a bend in the river Auser flowed here, making the terrain unstable, is the reason why the tower leans, making it famous.

The problem of instability brought work to an end for a long time. Building recommenced in 1275 under the guidance of Giovanni di Simone and Giovanni Pisano; three more rings were added to the three already completed. In an attempt to straighten the tower, the three additional floors bend slightly in the opposite direction from the slant of the Tower. It was completed in mid 14th century when the belfry was added.

The structure of the Tower is highly unusual. It is made of two concentric cylinders joined together by a spiral staircase to the topmost story. Externally there are six rings of round-arched galleries. The marble ditch at the base of the Tower was added in the 19th century. 

Over the past decades, much has been written on the position of the Campanile, postulating a possible symbolic eason for it, or indicating it as part of a hidden astronomy-inspired layout that would involve the whole Cathedral compound. The position itself is therefore the first of the tricky aspects of its construction. Obviously, this unusual location cannot be accidental and it is also true that the selected spot immediately appeared inadvisable, due to the nearby waterway, a branch of the Auser river derivering from the Serchio river that ran through this part of the city. As a matter of fact, we have to assume that the Campanile was built at the south-eastern border of the Cathedral square mainly in order to "adjust" the eccentric position of the Cathedral itself. 

The Tower was stabilised after a number of studies and researches carried out over the entire XX Century and culminated  in the intervention concieved and implemented by an International Committee in the years 1990 to 2001. The Tower now slopes at an angle of 5° from the vertical. It remains standing because its centre of gravity is inside the perimeter of its base.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (A. Alberti; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Via Cardinale Maffi Pietro, 44, 56126 Pisa
Connected routes: Piazza dei Miracoli
Bibliography:

O. Banti, P. Sampaolesi, S. Casadio, Il Campanile di Pisa. Una città e la sua torre, Pacini Editore, Pisa 1997.
F. Redi, Pisa. Il Duomo e la Piazza, Amilcare Pizzi Editore, Cinisello Balsamo (Milano) 1996.

V. Ascani, The leaning Tower of Pisa. Concept and Realisation of a Medieval Masterpiece, Pisa 2014.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY PIAZZA DEI MIRACOLI

Ponte di Mezzo (Daderot, wikimediacommons) Ponte di Mezzo (Daderot, wikimediacommons)
The bridge was rebuilt after the war in reinforced concrete and faced in white stone ...
read more
Vista dall'alto - Piazza Garibaldi (www.tabaccheria21.net) Vista dall'alto - Piazza Garibaldi (www.tabaccheria21.net)
Facing on to this square are historically important buildings that defined social and ...
read more
Facciata, su piazza Garibaldi - Casino dei nobili (A. Sobrero) Facciata, su piazza Garibaldi - Casino dei nobili (A. Sobrero)
In the Tuscan language, from at least the 16th century the word “casino” meant a ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
The Church and monastery are first mentioned in 1016 as the adaptation of a ...
read more
Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini) Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini)
The small neogothic building on via Ulisse Dini includes the remains of the Church of ...
read more
Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia) Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia)
This street is named after the Pisan mathematician and Senator (1845-1918) whose ...
read more
Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino) Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino)
This square is the result of re-styling ordered by Cosimo I in 1558 and entrusted to ...
read more
Facciata e ingresso del Museo - Orto Botanico (D. Tarantino) Facciata e ingresso del Museo - Orto Botanico (D. Tarantino)
Created by order of Cosimo I de’ Medici on the iniziative of the great botanist, Luca ...
read more
Walking in the City

Piazza del Duomo - La torre pendente

La torre pendente (A. Alberti)

The Leaning Tower of Pisa is considered worldwide as one of the architectural marvels of all times, and has enticed generations of visitors, including artists, poets, scientists. its elegant white marble structure, its unique design and its peculiar tilt made it one of the symbols of Italy and a very popular international "must-see". Neverthless, the the Tower was not originally conceived as a tourist atttraction, but to provide the Cathedral of Pisa with the neccessay sound-emitting device, outlined in a significant and symbolic form. 

On 9th August 1173, work began on the foundations of the bell tower for the Cathedral of S. Maria on Piazza dei Miracoli. It was to be some distance from the church, about 56 metres tall, weighing 14.453 metric tons. Initially, the director of works was probably the architect Diotisalvi, the same person who began the Baptistery. Work stopped after the third ring because of subsidence under the foundations of the Tower. Soft groundand the fact that in ancient times a bend in the river Auser flowed here, making the terrain unstable, is the reason why the tower leans, making it famous.

The problem of instability brought work to an end for a long time. Building recommenced in 1275 under the guidance of Giovanni di Simone and Giovanni Pisano; three more rings were added to the three already completed. In an attempt to straighten the tower, the three additional floors bend slightly in the opposite direction from the slant of the Tower. It was completed in mid 14th century when the belfry was added.

The structure of the Tower is highly unusual. It is made of two concentric cylinders joined together by a spiral staircase to the topmost story. Externally there are six rings of round-arched galleries. The marble ditch at the base of the Tower was added in the 19th century. 

Over the past decades, much has been written on the position of the Campanile, postulating a possible symbolic eason for it, or indicating it as part of a hidden astronomy-inspired layout that would involve the whole Cathedral compound. The position itself is therefore the first of the tricky aspects of its construction. Obviously, this unusual location cannot be accidental and it is also true that the selected spot immediately appeared inadvisable, due to the nearby waterway, a branch of the Auser river derivering from the Serchio river that ran through this part of the city. As a matter of fact, we have to assume that the Campanile was built at the south-eastern border of the Cathedral square mainly in order to "adjust" the eccentric position of the Cathedral itself. 

The Tower was stabilised after a number of studies and researches carried out over the entire XX Century and culminated  in the intervention concieved and implemented by an International Committee in the years 1990 to 2001. The Tower now slopes at an angle of 5° from the vertical. It remains standing because its centre of gravity is inside the perimeter of its base.

Address:
Bibliography:

O. Banti, P. Sampaolesi, S. Casadio, Il Campanile di Pisa. Una città e la sua torre, Pacini Editore, Pisa 1997.
F. Redi, Pisa. Il Duomo e la Piazza, Amilcare Pizzi Editore, Cinisello Balsamo (Milano) 1996.

V. Ascani, The leaning Tower of Pisa. Concept and Realisation of a Medieval Masterpiece, Pisa 2014.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
PLACES OF WORSHIP
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

SUBWAY81m

Piazza Arcivescovado, 3, 56126 Pisa PI - Pisa
Tel.: 0508312134

MIKI E MAU SAS DI MICHELE LOMBARDI E C.86m

Via Maffi Pietro Cardinale, 36 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 551685

ANTICA TRATTORIA ANTONIETTA102m

Via Santa Maria, 179 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 561810

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

RELAIS I MIRACOLI87m

Via Santa Maria, 187 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 560572
E-mail: info@relaisimiracoli.it
Sito: www.relaisimiracoli.it

LOCANDA DEL TURISTA115m

Piazza Arcivescovado, angolo Via Corta - Pisa
Tel.: 050 560932
E-mail: info@ilturista.net

ARISTON116m

Via Cardinale Pietro Maffi, 42 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 561834
E-mail: info@hotelariston.pisa.it

VIEW ALL