Edificio - Campo Santo Monumentale (A, Alberti) photogallery Edificio - Campo Santo Monumentale (A, Alberti)

The Cemetery, forming a backdrop to the Cathedral place on its north side, was the last monument to be built, beginning in 1277 under Giovanni di Simone.
It was named Campo Santo because tradition had it that the ground herewas mixed with soil from the Holy Land, carroed on Pisan ships returning from the 3rd Crusade. This large building was planned for to house the sarcophagi and other graves clustered for centuries around the Cathedral. For this reason, in 1277 Bishop Federico Visconti signed the act of donation of this land to build “an enclosed space” for use as a cemetery. At first it took the shape of a church, dedicated to the Trinity. Work was interrupted partly because of Pisa’s defeat in the battle of the Meloria; when it was resumed in the 1300s, the building acquired its almost perfectly rectangular form with a central cloister.

The external walls are in plain white marble, with 43 dead arches and two doors. The east door is the main entrance, above which is a Gothic tabernacle, carved in the second half of the 14th century, containing a statue of the Virgin and Child, and four saints. Inside there is a cloister with ornate Gothic arches under which are many Roman sarcophagi, once used for the burial of important people.

In 1360, work began on frescos along the walls of the corridors, the subjects of which were connected to the theme of life and death. Among others, are works by Buonamico Buffalmacco and Francesco Traini, the former of whom was the author of the famous Triumph of Death , and the latter of a Crucifix. Hanging in the Aulla chapel is “Galileo’s lamp”, that once hung in the Cathedral; while observing it, Galileo thought of the theory of the pendulum. A huge chain hanging on the wall is part of those that closed the entrance to the Porto Pisano. Following Pisa’s defeat at the Meloria in 1284, the chains were broken and shipped to Genoa, to be returned only after the Unification of Italy.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (A. Alberti; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Piazza del Duomo, 23, 56126 Pisa
Connected routes: Piazza dei Miracoli
Bibliography:

E. Tolaini, Campo Santo di Pisa - Progetto e cantiere: la forma architettonica e la decorazione plastica, ETS, Pisa 2008.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY PIAZZA DEI MIRACOLI

Murale - Keith Haring, Tuttomondo (www.ipernity.com/doc/allanimal/3982665/) Murale - Keith Haring, Tuttomondo (www.ipernity.com/doc/allanimal/3982665/)
When in 1989 Keith Haring (1958-1990), already internationally famous, painted his ...
read more
Ingresso su Via Mazzini prima dell'ultima ristrutturazione - Domus Mazziniana (M. Baldassarri) Ingresso su Via Mazzini prima dell'ultima ristrutturazione - Domus Mazziniana (M. Baldassarri)
The Domus Mazziniana is situated in Palazzo Nathan-Rosselli, where Giuseppe Mazzini ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di S. Domenico (M. Baldassarri) Facciata - Chiesa di S. Domenico (M. Baldassarri)
This convent was founded by Chiara Gambacorti, a nun from a rich family of merchants ...
read more
Giovanni da Milano (attrib.), particolare dell’Annunciazione, Santa Maria del Carmine (affresco staccato dal chiostro): da M. L. Ceccarelli Lemut e F. Paliaga, La chiesa di S. Maria del Carmine, Pisa, ETS, 2002 Giovanni da Milano (attrib.), particolare dell’Annunciazione, Santa Maria del Carmine (affresco staccato dal chiostro): da M. L. Ceccarelli Lemut e F. Paliaga, La chiesa di S. Maria del Carmine, Pisa, ETS, 2002
The Church, founded by Carmelite monks from the Holy Land in 1325, underwent changes ...
read more
Facciata verso l'Arno - Logge dei Banchi (G. Gattiglia) Facciata verso l'Arno - Logge dei Banchi (G. Gattiglia)
Designed by Bernardo Buontalentiand built by will of the Grand Duke of Tuscany ...
read more
Palaxio nuovo - Palazzo Gambacorti (M. Febbraro) Palaxio nuovo - Palazzo Gambacorti (M. Febbraro)
Palazzo Gambacorti is the result of a long sereies of extensions and adaptations, ...
read more
Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro) Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro)
Palazzo Mosca is a combination of several buildings dating from the late 12th century ...
read more
Abside - Chiesa di Santa Cristina (M. Febbraro) Abside - Chiesa di Santa Cristina (M. Febbraro)
Mentioned for the first time in the 8th century, the Church of St. ...
read more
Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons) Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons)
In the 1300s, Palazzo Blu belonged to the Dell’Agnellos, an important family in the ...
read more
Ponte di Mezzo (Daderot, wikimediacommons) Ponte di Mezzo (Daderot, wikimediacommons)
The bridge was rebuilt after the war in reinforced concrete and faced in white stone ...
read more
Walking in the City

Piazza del Duomo - Campo Santo Monumentale

Edificio - Campo Santo Monumentale (A, Alberti)

The Cemetery, forming a backdrop to the Cathedral place on its north side, was the last monument to be built, beginning in 1277 under Giovanni di Simone.
It was named Campo Santo because tradition had it that the ground herewas mixed with soil from the Holy Land, carroed on Pisan ships returning from the 3rd Crusade. This large building was planned for to house the sarcophagi and other graves clustered for centuries around the Cathedral. For this reason, in 1277 Bishop Federico Visconti signed the act of donation of this land to build “an enclosed space” for use as a cemetery. At first it took the shape of a church, dedicated to the Trinity. Work was interrupted partly because of Pisa’s defeat in the battle of the Meloria; when it was resumed in the 1300s, the building acquired its almost perfectly rectangular form with a central cloister.

The external walls are in plain white marble, with 43 dead arches and two doors. The east door is the main entrance, above which is a Gothic tabernacle, carved in the second half of the 14th century, containing a statue of the Virgin and Child, and four saints. Inside there is a cloister with ornate Gothic arches under which are many Roman sarcophagi, once used for the burial of important people.

In 1360, work began on frescos along the walls of the corridors, the subjects of which were connected to the theme of life and death. Among others, are works by Buonamico Buffalmacco and Francesco Traini, the former of whom was the author of the famous Triumph of Death , and the latter of a Crucifix. Hanging in the Aulla chapel is “Galileo’s lamp”, that once hung in the Cathedral; while observing it, Galileo thought of the theory of the pendulum. A huge chain hanging on the wall is part of those that closed the entrance to the Porto Pisano. Following Pisa’s defeat at the Meloria in 1284, the chains were broken and shipped to Genoa, to be returned only after the Unification of Italy.

Address:
Bibliography:

E. Tolaini, Campo Santo di Pisa - Progetto e cantiere: la forma architettonica e la decorazione plastica, ETS, Pisa 2008.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
MONUMENTS
Apertura al pubblicoOpen to the public
Accessibilità: Aperto con orario prestabilito (consultare il sito web http://www.opapisa.it/it/organizza-la-tua-visita/informazioni-pratiche/orari.html
BigliettoTicket
Prezzo: 5,00 €; 7,00 € cumulativo con altro ingresso a uno dei monumenti della Piazza; 8,00 € cumulativo con altri due ingressi a due monumenti della Piazza; 9,00 € biglietto cumulativo per tutti i monumenti della Piazza esclusa la Torre. Per le riduzioni consulatare il sito www.opapisa.it
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

SUBWAY155m

Piazza Arcivescovado, 3, 56126 Pisa PI - Pisa
Tel.: 0508312134

MIKI E MAU SAS DI MICHELE LOMBARDI E C.175m

Via Maffi Pietro Cardinale, 36 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 551685

ANTICA TRATTORIA ANTONIETTA191m

Via Santa Maria, 179 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 561810

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

HOSTEL PISA TOWER148m

Via Piave, 4 - Pisa
Tel.: 0039 050 830926
E-mail: info@hostelpisatower.it
Sito: www.hostelpisatower.it/

RELAIS I MIRACOLI174m

Via Santa Maria, 187 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 560572
E-mail: info@relaisimiracoli.it
Sito: www.relaisimiracoli.it

ARISTON208m

Via Cardinale Pietro Maffi, 42 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 561834
E-mail: info@hotelariston.pisa.it

VIEW ALL