Battistero di San Giovanni  (Antonio Alberti) photogallery Battistero di San Giovanni (Antonio Alberti)

The Baptistry was founded in 1152, but it took more than two centuries to complete. The first stage of construction, up to the top of the first row of arches, was directed by the architect Diotisalvi. At the beginning of the 13th century Guidetto took over, and supervised the ornamentation of the doors and walls, up to the top of the circular aisle. After 1260, Nicola Pisano worked on the outside wall, up to the level of the archlets in the external gallery, but it was Giovanni Pisano who added the pediments above.

The construction adapted to to the proportions of the Cathedral, with which he preserved a perfect axiality: the largeness of the facade exactly corresponds to distance between its main portal and the west door. 

The Opera di San Giovanni was instituted for supervising the new building yard and at first the citizens were asked to contribute with a one denaro tax pe month, ensuring a good start out of the works. The first Operaio, Conetto, brought back from the squarries of the Isle of Elba and of Sardinia eight columns and four pilasters for the bearing structure of the building, erected "with great triumph" in 1163. In these very years, the construction of the walls of the whole city, until then without any, started in the area next to the square

Work was then suspended for a long time, beginning once more in the mid 1300s, when the women’s gallery was completed and the baptistery roofed over. At the bottom, the outside of this circular building presents a row of round dead arches, broken by slit windows and four doors and supported by pillars against the walls. Above these is a gallery of arched columns with ornately carved pediments. Empty spaces in this gallery are due to some statues being transferred to the nearby Opera del Duomo Museum. These arches are decorated with human heads carved by Nicola Pisano and his workshop, in and after 1265.

Above, rises the dome, skirted by a row of triangular fronted marble aedicules completed with a pair of pinnacles. At the top is a statue in gilded copper of St. John the Baptist, made by Turino di Sano da Siena in 1395. The door facing the Cathedral was decorated in about 1203-1204 by sculptors of Greek-Byzantine culture; the cycle is flanked by two columns carved in spirals of foliage.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (A. Alberti; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Piazza del Duomo, 9, 56126 Pisa
Connected routes: Piazza dei Miracoli
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa, Pisa 2005, pp. 87-91
A. Garzelli, Il fonte del battistero di Pisa. Cavalli, arieti e grifi alle soglie di Nicola Pisano, Pacini Editore, Pisa, 2002.

L. Carletti, C. Giometti, A guide to the Duomo Square of Pisa, Pacini Editore, Pisa 2006. 

STILL IN THE ITINERARY PIAZZA DEI MIRACOLI

Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro) Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro)
Palazzo Mosca is a combination of several buildings dating from the late 12th century ...
read more
Abside - Chiesa di Santa Cristina (M. Febbraro) Abside - Chiesa di Santa Cristina (M. Febbraro)
Mentioned for the first time in the 8th century, the Church of St. ...
read more
Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons) Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons)
In the 1300s, Palazzo Blu belonged to the Dell’Agnellos, an important family in the ...
read more
Ponte di Mezzo (Daderot, wikimediacommons) Ponte di Mezzo (Daderot, wikimediacommons)
The bridge was rebuilt after the war in reinforced concrete and faced in white stone ...
read more
Vista dall'alto - Piazza Garibaldi (www.tabaccheria21.net) Vista dall'alto - Piazza Garibaldi (www.tabaccheria21.net)
Facing on to this square are historically important buildings that defined social and ...
read more
Facciata, su piazza Garibaldi - Casino dei nobili (A. Sobrero) Facciata, su piazza Garibaldi - Casino dei nobili (A. Sobrero)
In the Tuscan language, from at least the 16th century the word “casino” meant a ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
The Church and monastery are first mentioned in 1016 as the adaptation of a ...
read more
Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini) Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini)
The small neogothic building on via Ulisse Dini includes the remains of the Church of ...
read more
Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia) Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia)
This street is named after the Pisan mathematician and Senator (1845-1918) whose ...
read more
Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino) Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino)
This square is the result of re-styling ordered by Cosimo I in 1558 and entrusted to ...
read more
Walking in the City

Piazza del Duomo - Battistero di San Giovanni, Esterno

Battistero di San Giovanni  (Antonio Alberti)

The Baptistry was founded in 1152, but it took more than two centuries to complete. The first stage of construction, up to the top of the first row of arches, was directed by the architect Diotisalvi. At the beginning of the 13th century Guidetto took over, and supervised the ornamentation of the doors and walls, up to the top of the circular aisle. After 1260, Nicola Pisano worked on the outside wall, up to the level of the archlets in the external gallery, but it was Giovanni Pisano who added the pediments above.

The construction adapted to to the proportions of the Cathedral, with which he preserved a perfect axiality: the largeness of the facade exactly corresponds to distance between its main portal and the west door. 

The Opera di San Giovanni was instituted for supervising the new building yard and at first the citizens were asked to contribute with a one denaro tax pe month, ensuring a good start out of the works. The first Operaio, Conetto, brought back from the squarries of the Isle of Elba and of Sardinia eight columns and four pilasters for the bearing structure of the building, erected "with great triumph" in 1163. In these very years, the construction of the walls of the whole city, until then without any, started in the area next to the square

Work was then suspended for a long time, beginning once more in the mid 1300s, when the women’s gallery was completed and the baptistery roofed over. At the bottom, the outside of this circular building presents a row of round dead arches, broken by slit windows and four doors and supported by pillars against the walls. Above these is a gallery of arched columns with ornately carved pediments. Empty spaces in this gallery are due to some statues being transferred to the nearby Opera del Duomo Museum. These arches are decorated with human heads carved by Nicola Pisano and his workshop, in and after 1265.

Above, rises the dome, skirted by a row of triangular fronted marble aedicules completed with a pair of pinnacles. At the top is a statue in gilded copper of St. John the Baptist, made by Turino di Sano da Siena in 1395. The door facing the Cathedral was decorated in about 1203-1204 by sculptors of Greek-Byzantine culture; the cycle is flanked by two columns carved in spirals of foliage.

Address:
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa, Pisa 2005, pp. 87-91
A. Garzelli, Il fonte del battistero di Pisa. Cavalli, arieti e grifi alle soglie di Nicola Pisano, Pacini Editore, Pisa, 2002.

L. Carletti, C. Giometti, A guide to the Duomo Square of Pisa, Pacini Editore, Pisa 2006. 

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
PLACES OF WORSHIP
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

SUBWAY156m

Piazza Arcivescovado, 3, 56126 Pisa PI - Pisa
Tel.: 0508312134

DUOMO RISTORANTE - PIZZERIA170m

Via Roma, 70 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 552275,050 562352

LEANING TOWER DI CIOFFI ALFONSO E C. SNC170m

Via Roma, 70 - Pisa
Tel.: 011 5504905

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

RELAIS I MIRACOLI181m

Via Santa Maria, 187 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 560572
E-mail: info@relaisimiracoli.it
Sito: www.relaisimiracoli.it

HOTEL GIARDINO TOWER INN200m

Piazza Daniele Manin, 1 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 560771
E-mail: info@hotelilgiardino.pisa.it
Sito: www.hotelilgiardino.pisa.it

4 ROOMS BED AND BREAKFAST209m

Via Bonanno Pisano, 74 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 9911019
E-mail: info@4roomspisa.it
Sito: www.4roomspisa.it

VIEW ALL