Prospetto su piazza dei Cavalieri - Palazzo dell’orologio (G. Gattiglia) photogallery Prospetto su piazza dei Cavalieri - Palazzo dell’orologio (G. Gattiglia)

The Palazzo dell'Orologio faces piazza dei Cavalieri. Archaeologists have discovered that this area was already inhabited by the Etruscans. The palazzo was created in the 17th century by linking two medieval buildings, when the square was re-styled, and underwent several other alterations up to the 20th century.
In the early 14th century, the casa torre on the left was the Palazzo of the Capitano del Popolo and the one on the right, connected to it by an overhead bridge, was the Muda tower, so called because when the eagles, bred by Pisa as a symbol of its power, moulted (muda) they were kept here.
The tower belonged to the Gualandi family. Later it became a prison, called della Fame (Hunger Tower) or delle sette vie (Seven Ways). Count Ugolino della Gherardesca, celebrated by Dante in the 33rd canto of the Inferno, died here in 1288. In the 1500s, the building became an infirmary, called ‘Buonuomo’s’ from the title of the person in charge.
In 1605-1608 the buildings were made into a single unit; the right half was rebuilt around the Torre della Fame and the two parts were connected by an overhead passage. The façade was decorated with frescos, now mostly lost, with allegories of Peace, Earth, Abundance, Intelligence, Glory and the Lands to celebrate the Medici’s good government. The belfry was added in 1696 and until 1804, the palazzo was a home for aged knights and an infirmary. It was bought by Count Gherardesca in 1919 and was renovated once more, when the Neogothic mullioned window was added to the left façade.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (G. Gattiglia; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Piazza dei Cavalieri, 4, 56126 Pisa
Connected routes: Piazza dei Miracoli
Bibliography:

E. Karwacka Codini, Piazza dei cavalieri. Urbanistica e architettura dal Medioevo al Novecento, Cassa di Risparmio di Firenze, Firenze 1989, pp. 163-186.
R. Ciuti, Pisa Medicea. Itinerario Storico Artistico tra Cinque e Seicento, Felici Editore, Pisa 2003, pp. 54-56.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY PIAZZA DEI MIRACOLI

Facciata verso l'Arno - Logge dei Banchi (G. Gattiglia) Facciata verso l'Arno - Logge dei Banchi (G. Gattiglia)
Designed by Bernardo Buontalentiand built by will of the Grand Duke of Tuscany ...
read more
Palaxio nuovo - Palazzo Gambacorti (M. Febbraro) Palaxio nuovo - Palazzo Gambacorti (M. Febbraro)
Palazzo Gambacorti is the result of a long sereies of extensions and adaptations, ...
read more
Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro) Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro)
Palazzo Mosca is a combination of several buildings dating from the late 12th century ...
read more
Abside - Chiesa di Santa Cristina (M. Febbraro) Abside - Chiesa di Santa Cristina (M. Febbraro)
Mentioned for the first time in the 8th century, the Church of St. ...
read more
Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons) Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons)
In the 1300s, Palazzo Blu belonged to the Dell’Agnellos, an important family in the ...
read more
Ponte di Mezzo (Daderot, wikimediacommons) Ponte di Mezzo (Daderot, wikimediacommons)
The bridge was rebuilt after the war in reinforced concrete and faced in white stone ...
read more
Vista dall'alto - Piazza Garibaldi (www.tabaccheria21.net) Vista dall'alto - Piazza Garibaldi (www.tabaccheria21.net)
Facing on to this square are historically important buildings that defined social and ...
read more
Facciata, su piazza Garibaldi - Casino dei nobili (A. Sobrero) Facciata, su piazza Garibaldi - Casino dei nobili (A. Sobrero)
In the Tuscan language, from at least the 16th century the word “casino” meant a ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
The Church and monastery are first mentioned in 1016 as the adaptation of a ...
read more
Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini) Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini)
The small neogothic building on via Ulisse Dini includes the remains of the Church of ...
read more
Walking in the City

Piazza dei Cavalieri: Palazzo dell’Orologio

Prospetto su piazza dei Cavalieri - Palazzo dell’orologio (G. Gattiglia)

The Palazzo dell'Orologio faces piazza dei Cavalieri. Archaeologists have discovered that this area was already inhabited by the Etruscans. The palazzo was created in the 17th century by linking two medieval buildings, when the square was re-styled, and underwent several other alterations up to the 20th century.
In the early 14th century, the casa torre on the left was the Palazzo of the Capitano del Popolo and the one on the right, connected to it by an overhead bridge, was the Muda tower, so called because when the eagles, bred by Pisa as a symbol of its power, moulted (muda) they were kept here.
The tower belonged to the Gualandi family. Later it became a prison, called della Fame (Hunger Tower) or delle sette vie (Seven Ways). Count Ugolino della Gherardesca, celebrated by Dante in the 33rd canto of the Inferno, died here in 1288. In the 1500s, the building became an infirmary, called ‘Buonuomo’s’ from the title of the person in charge.
In 1605-1608 the buildings were made into a single unit; the right half was rebuilt around the Torre della Fame and the two parts were connected by an overhead passage. The façade was decorated with frescos, now mostly lost, with allegories of Peace, Earth, Abundance, Intelligence, Glory and the Lands to celebrate the Medici’s good government. The belfry was added in 1696 and until 1804, the palazzo was a home for aged knights and an infirmary. It was bought by Count Gherardesca in 1919 and was renovated once more, when the Neogothic mullioned window was added to the left façade.

Address:
Bibliography:

E. Karwacka Codini, Piazza dei cavalieri. Urbanistica e architettura dal Medioevo al Novecento, Cassa di Risparmio di Firenze, Firenze 1989, pp. 163-186.
R. Ciuti, Pisa Medicea. Itinerario Storico Artistico tra Cinque e Seicento, Felici Editore, Pisa 2003, pp. 54-56.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
HISTORICAL BUILDINGS
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

LA SOSTA DEI CAVALIERI87m

Via San Frediano, 3 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 9912410

SILVESTRO SAS DI SILVESTRINI CARLO & C.88m

Via Uguccione Della Faggiola, 1 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 556179

RISTORANTE OSTERIA DEI CAVALIERI98m

Via S. Frediano, 16 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 581259,050 580858

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

CASA SAN DOMENICO86m

Via Uguccione della Faggiola, 26 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 561858
E-mail: casasandomenico@yahoo.it

PENS. SUORE FRANCESCANE OSP. S. CHIARA86m

Via della Faggiola, 27 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 561814
E-mail: istitutofrancescane@alice.it

B&B I BOTTAI143m

via San Frediano 5 - Pisa
Tel.: +39 3737580007
E-mail: info@ibottai.it

VIEW ALL