Piazza Martiri della Libertà (Gabriele Gattiglia) photogallery Piazza Martiri della Libertà (Gabriele Gattiglia)

The square was inaugurated in1833; it was built by will of the Grand Duke of Tuscany, to a design by the architect Alessandro Gherardesca. The almost perfectly rectangular space was planned according to the new requirements of town planning and the tastes of the Restoration.
At the centre of a ring of trees, a statue of Pietro Leopoldo I, made in 1829 by L. Pampaloni, stands on a tall marble plinth decorated in low relief by E. Santarelli,.
The square is in a part of the city of great historical interest. In the middle ages it was known as civitate vetera because of the many Roman ruins here. There are several interesting buildings along its sides. Along the westernside is the medieval building of the ex S. Anna convent, today occupied by the Scuola Superiore di Perfezionamento; to the west is the 13th century church of S. Caterina in front of which is a square where several buildings were demolished in the middle ages to make way for a cemetery. Also on the eastern side is the small Compagnia del Crocioneoratory, suppressed in 1782 and now an auditorium and theatre.
From the end of the 11thcentury much of the centre of the square was occupied by the Church of S. Lorenzo alla Rivolta with annexed hospital and monastery and the palazzo of count Neri di Donoratico,demolished at the end of the 14th century.
The Grand Duke ceded the S. Lorenzo buildings to the town of Pisa in 1815, on condition they wouldbe demolished and a square built in their place. It took nearly fifteen years to approve a plan; in the meantime the open space was used for breaking in horses, and, to the great indignation of the population, by washerwomen to hang out washing, .

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (Gabriele Gattiglia)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Piazza Martiri della Libertà, 1-11, 56127 Pisa
Connected routes: San Francesco nord
Bibliography:

R. Ciuti, B. Leoni, Pisa nell’Ottocento. Le trasformazioni della città tra Granducati e Stato unitario, Pisa 2010, pp. 67-74

STILL IN THE ITINERARY SAN FRANCESCO NORD

Facciata - Chiesa di Santa Caterina (F. Anichini) Facciata - Chiesa di Santa Caterina (F. Anichini)
The Church, dedicated to St. ...
read more
Chiostro gesuita - Palazzo della Scuola Sant’Anna (D. Tarantino) Chiostro gesuita - Palazzo della Scuola Sant’Anna (D. Tarantino)
Since 1987 this building has been the headquarters of the Scuola Superiore S. Anna. ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Zeno (M. Febbraro) Facciata - Chiesa di San Zeno (M. Febbraro)
The Church of San Zeno is first mentioned in 1029, although alterations to the ...
read more
Interno - Chiesa di Sant’Anna (F.Delu, wikimediacommons) Interno - Chiesa di Sant’Anna (F.Delu, wikimediacommons)
The church and nunnery were built by Benedictine nuns from S. ...
read more
Terme di Nerone (vitaperimmagini.blogspot.it) Terme di Nerone (vitaperimmagini.blogspot.it)
Since the 13th century these ruins, known as "Bagni di Nerone" (Nero’s Baths) have ...
read more
 
Walking in the City

Piazza Martiri della Libertà

Piazza Martiri della Libertà (Gabriele Gattiglia)

The square was inaugurated in1833; it was built by will of the Grand Duke of Tuscany, to a design by the architect Alessandro Gherardesca. The almost perfectly rectangular space was planned according to the new requirements of town planning and the tastes of the Restoration.
At the centre of a ring of trees, a statue of Pietro Leopoldo I, made in 1829 by L. Pampaloni, stands on a tall marble plinth decorated in low relief by E. Santarelli,.
The square is in a part of the city of great historical interest. In the middle ages it was known as civitate vetera because of the many Roman ruins here. There are several interesting buildings along its sides. Along the westernside is the medieval building of the ex S. Anna convent, today occupied by the Scuola Superiore di Perfezionamento; to the west is the 13th century church of S. Caterina in front of which is a square where several buildings were demolished in the middle ages to make way for a cemetery. Also on the eastern side is the small Compagnia del Crocioneoratory, suppressed in 1782 and now an auditorium and theatre.
From the end of the 11thcentury much of the centre of the square was occupied by the Church of S. Lorenzo alla Rivolta with annexed hospital and monastery and the palazzo of count Neri di Donoratico,demolished at the end of the 14th century.
The Grand Duke ceded the S. Lorenzo buildings to the town of Pisa in 1815, on condition they wouldbe demolished and a square built in their place. It took nearly fifteen years to approve a plan; in the meantime the open space was used for breaking in horses, and, to the great indignation of the population, by washerwomen to hang out washing, .

Address:
Bibliography:

R. Ciuti, B. Leoni, Pisa nell’Ottocento. Le trasformazioni della città tra Granducati e Stato unitario, Pisa 2010, pp. 67-74

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
URBAN ARCHITECTURE
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

OSTERIA SANTA CATERINA95m

V. S. Cecilia, 34 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 581186

PIZZERIA MOONLIGHT105m

V. S. Lorenzo, 52 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 564433

LA CLESSIDRA161m

Via Santa Cecilia, 34 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 540160

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

SANTA CATERINA D\'ALESSANDRIA121m

San Zeno, 1 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 550250
E-mail: info@bebsantacaterinadalessandria.it
Sito: www.bebsantacaterinadalessandria.it

RELAIS DEI FIORI136m

Giosuè Carducci, 37 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 556054
E-mail: info@relaisdeifiori.com
Sito: www.relaisdeifiori.com

RELAIS DEI FIORI 2° PIANO136m

Via Giosuè Carducci, 37, piano 2° - Pisa
Tel.: 050 556054
E-mail: info@relaisdeifiori.com
Sito: www.relaisdeifiori.com

VIEW ALL