Piazza Chiara Gambacorti (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) photogallery Piazza Chiara Gambacorti (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)

Pisans call this square piazza della Pera because of the ancient Etruscan pear-shaped cippus nearby, on the corner of via S. Martino. Thanks to careful archaeological explorations in 2004 that uncovered the remains of the medieval church of S. Lorenzo in Chinzica, (demolished in 1932), the history of piazza Gambacorti from the 12th century to now has been reconstructed.
The church, built in the early 12th century, by a rich Pisan family, was re-structured several times, to follow changing tastes and fashions and to satisfy the ambitions of its various owners. In 1784 it was deconsecrated. An earlier rectangular church, with three aisles, divided by two rows of pillars, but no apse, covered an area of roughly 300 sq m, was built with large blocks of stone.
The facade, facing today’s via S. Lorenzino, had a wide central doorway and two side entrances. Several unfortunate accidents, including various fires in the roof and flooding from the river, meant the Church often needed repairs. The flooring was renewed more than once, its level raised and partly repaired with bricks at the end of the 14th century. The many graves dug inside the church date from the end of the 17th century.
After deconsecration, the Church was adapted for housing. This is seen from several facilities for rubbish disposal built at this time that were still in use at the end of the 20th century. The contents of these bottini (fragments of vessels, crockery and remains of food) provided important information concerning the eating habits and daily life of the inhabitants.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (G. Gattiglia; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Piazza Chiara Gambacorti, 1-13, 56125 Pisa
Connected routes: San Martino
Bibliography:

M. Milanese (a cura di), Piazza Gambacorti. Archeologia e urbanistica a Pisa. Scavi e ricerche 2004, Edizioni PLUS, Pisa 2005.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY SAN MARTINO

Lunetta sopra la porta di accesso - Ex Teatro Redini (M. Baldassarri) Lunetta sopra la porta di accesso - Ex Teatro Redini (M. Baldassarri)
This theatre takes its name from its founder Giuseppe Redini, a medical specialist ...
read more
Facciata - Palazzo Salviati (www.pisaoggi.it/Guida-di-Pisa/Palazzi) Facciata - Palazzo Salviati (www.pisaoggi.it/Guida-di-Pisa/Palazzi)
This palazzo is an agglomeration of medieval buildings, joined to one another by the ...
read more
Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174) Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174)
This octagonal Church, built from locally quarried stone and lit by slit windows, is ...
read more
Nino Pisano (attrib.), Madonna in trono col Bambino detta Madonna dei Vetturini, Museo Nazionale di San Matteo: da Pisa nei secoli. L’arte, la storia, la tradizione, 2, a cura di A. Zampieri, Pisa, ETS, 2003, p. 134, fig. 56 Nino Pisano (attrib.), Madonna in trono col Bambino detta Madonna dei Vetturini, Museo Nazionale di San Matteo: da Pisa nei secoli. L’arte, la storia, la tradizione, 2, a cura di A. Zampieri, Pisa, ETS, 2003, p. 134, fig. 56
At the end of the 16th century the wooden statue of the Madonna and Child was ...
read more
Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia) Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia)
This palazzo takes its name from the Lanfranchi family who re-structured it and lived ...
read more
 
Walking in the City

Piazza Gambacorti

Piazza Chiara Gambacorti (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)

Pisans call this square piazza della Pera because of the ancient Etruscan pear-shaped cippus nearby, on the corner of via S. Martino. Thanks to careful archaeological explorations in 2004 that uncovered the remains of the medieval church of S. Lorenzo in Chinzica, (demolished in 1932), the history of piazza Gambacorti from the 12th century to now has been reconstructed.
The church, built in the early 12th century, by a rich Pisan family, was re-structured several times, to follow changing tastes and fashions and to satisfy the ambitions of its various owners. In 1784 it was deconsecrated. An earlier rectangular church, with three aisles, divided by two rows of pillars, but no apse, covered an area of roughly 300 sq m, was built with large blocks of stone.
The facade, facing today’s via S. Lorenzino, had a wide central doorway and two side entrances. Several unfortunate accidents, including various fires in the roof and flooding from the river, meant the Church often needed repairs. The flooring was renewed more than once, its level raised and partly repaired with bricks at the end of the 14th century. The many graves dug inside the church date from the end of the 17th century.
After deconsecration, the Church was adapted for housing. This is seen from several facilities for rubbish disposal built at this time that were still in use at the end of the 20th century. The contents of these bottini (fragments of vessels, crockery and remains of food) provided important information concerning the eating habits and daily life of the inhabitants.

Address:
Bibliography:

M. Milanese (a cura di), Piazza Gambacorti. Archeologia e urbanistica a Pisa. Scavi e ricerche 2004, Edizioni PLUS, Pisa 2005.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
URBAN ARCHITECTURE
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

K.F.CI DI MD FAZLUL KARIM7m

Piazza Gambacorti, 8 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 20557

IL BISTROT30m

Piazza Chiara Gambacorti, 18 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 26360

BENY31m

Piazza Gambacorti Chiara, 22 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 25067

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

LA DIMORA42m

Via San Bernardo, 22 - Pisa
Tel.: 342 0556811
E-mail: ladimora2012@gmail.com

CENTRO STORICO76m

Corso Italia, 26 P. 1° - Pisa
Tel.: 050 45231
E-mail: info@centrostoricopisa.it

RELAIS CENTRO STORICO76m

Corso Italia, 26 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 45231
E-mail: info@centrostoricopisa.it

VIEW ALL