Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini) photogallery Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini)

This small building in via Ulisse Dini includes the remains of the church of SS. Felice e Regolo. The building is the result of late 19th century renovation in Neogothic style, and restoration on the 20th century that revealed the columns and capitals of the original medieval loggia.
The church, first mentioned in 1070, stood within the Late Antiquity city walls, by the Visdomino gate. It was built as a loggia open on three sides. The columns and capitals facing via Dini were recovered from Roman buildings.
The capitals, dating from the early 3rd century AD, were probably the work of craftsmen from the East. They come from a place of worship and represent on the left, the Alexandrine triad of Arpocrates Isis and Serapis and the Capitoline triad of Jupiter, Minerva and Mercury on the right. The other two composite capitals date from when the church was built in the second half of the 11th century.
The arches were closed and the level of the floor raised perhaps before the 15th century; further renovation was carried out in the 17th and 18th centuries, when the a second story was added to the building and it was consolidated.
In 1785 the Church was suppressed and the loggia used as for storage; in 1864 the Cassa di Risparmio di Pisa bought the building and used it as offices.
A 14th century fresco depicting Mary Magdalene is kept in the Cassa di Risparmio di Pisa central office (piazza Dante), and a painting on wood known as the Madonna degli Orafi (Goldsmith’s Madonna), attributed to Turino Vanni (late 14th century), probably originally placed above the altar in the Church, is on display in the di S. Matteo Museum.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (F. Anichini; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Piazza Giovan Battista Donati, 7, 56126 Pisa
Connected routes: Piazza dei Miracoli
Bibliography:

S. Settis (a cura di), Capitelli di mitologia. Da un tempio romano alla chiesa di San Felice in Pisa. Un reimpiego e un restauro, Pisa 1992

G. Garzella, Pisa com era: topografia e insediamento dall impianto tardoantico alla città murata del secolo XII, Napoli 1990, p. 61

STILL IN THE ITINERARY PIAZZA DEI MIRACOLI

Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
The Church and monastery are first mentioned in 1016 as the adaptation of a ...
read more
Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia) Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia)
This street is named after the Pisan mathematician and Senator (1845-1918) whose ...
read more
Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino) Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino)
This square is the result of re-styling ordered by Cosimo I in 1558 and entrusted to ...
read more
Facciata e ingresso del Museo - Orto Botanico (D. Tarantino) Facciata e ingresso del Museo - Orto Botanico (D. Tarantino)
Created by order of Cosimo I de’ Medici on the iniziative of the great botanist, Luca ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Tedeschi (D. Tarantino) Facciata - Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Tedeschi (D. Tarantino)
The name of this Church comes from the battle of Montecatini (1315) during which ...
read more
Bambino in fasce sopra il portale - Ospizio dei Trovatelli (F. Anichini) Bambino in fasce sopra il portale - Ospizio dei Trovatelli (F. Anichini)
The Foundlings’ Hospital (Ospizio dei Trovatelli) was built in 1315. ...
read more
Battistero di San Giovanni  (Antonio Alberti) Battistero di San Giovanni  (Antonio Alberti)
The Baptistry was begun in 1152 but it took over two centuries to complete. ...
read more
Edificio - Campo Santo Monumentale (A, Alberti) Edificio - Campo Santo Monumentale (A, Alberti)
The Cemetery, forming a backdrop to the Cathedral place on its north side, was the ...
read more
Walking in the City

Palazzo filiale BNL

Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini)

This small building in via Ulisse Dini includes the remains of the church of SS. Felice e Regolo. The building is the result of late 19th century renovation in Neogothic style, and restoration on the 20th century that revealed the columns and capitals of the original medieval loggia.
The church, first mentioned in 1070, stood within the Late Antiquity city walls, by the Visdomino gate. It was built as a loggia open on three sides. The columns and capitals facing via Dini were recovered from Roman buildings.
The capitals, dating from the early 3rd century AD, were probably the work of craftsmen from the East. They come from a place of worship and represent on the left, the Alexandrine triad of Arpocrates Isis and Serapis and the Capitoline triad of Jupiter, Minerva and Mercury on the right. The other two composite capitals date from when the church was built in the second half of the 11th century.
The arches were closed and the level of the floor raised perhaps before the 15th century; further renovation was carried out in the 17th and 18th centuries, when the a second story was added to the building and it was consolidated.
In 1785 the Church was suppressed and the loggia used as for storage; in 1864 the Cassa di Risparmio di Pisa bought the building and used it as offices.
A 14th century fresco depicting Mary Magdalene is kept in the Cassa di Risparmio di Pisa central office (piazza Dante), and a painting on wood known as the Madonna degli Orafi (Goldsmith’s Madonna), attributed to Turino Vanni (late 14th century), probably originally placed above the altar in the Church, is on display in the di S. Matteo Museum.

Address:
Bibliography:

S. Settis (a cura di), Capitelli di mitologia. Da un tempio romano alla chiesa di San Felice in Pisa. Un reimpiego e un restauro, Pisa 1992

G. Garzella, Pisa com era: topografia e insediamento dall impianto tardoantico alla città murata del secolo XII, Napoli 1990, p. 61

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
MONUMENTS
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

PIZZERIA IL MONTINO11m

V. Monte, 1 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 598695

TRATTORIA SANT'OMOBONO66m

Piazza Sant'Omobono, 6 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 540847

MANI'OMIO79m

P. S. Omobono, 11 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 3195517

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

AFFITTACAMERE M. GORKIJ DI LAZZERINI LUCA44m

Piazza Giovan Battista Donati, 13 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 580395 - 334 132
E-mail: info@gorkij.it
Sito: www.gorkij.it

PENSIONATO UNIVERSITARIO SANTA MARTA47m

Via Tavoleria, 11 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 580590 - 3341396
E-mail: pensionatounivs.marta@virgilio.it

RELAIS DEI MERCANTI49m

Piazza Sant\'Omobono, 16 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 5202135
E-mail: relaisdeimercanti@gmail.com
Sito: www.relaisdeimercanti.it

VIEW ALL