Chiostro gesuita - Palazzo della Scuola Sant’Anna (D. Tarantino) photogallery Chiostro gesuita - Palazzo della Scuola Sant’Anna (D. Tarantino)

The Scuola Superiore S. Anna has occupied this building since 1987; Benedictine nuns, originally from S. Paolo di Pugnano (1086), who had moved to this convent (known at the time as S. Anna al Renaio) in 1275, began building it and the church of St. Anna in 1407. The cloisters and an adjoining kitchen garden were renovated by Girolamo Ammannati in the early 16th century.
The convent was greatly enlarged in 1668, when the nuns purchased the adjacent convent and Church of S. Girolamo dei Gesuati, whose Order had been suppressed the previous year by the Pope. The church of S. Girolamo was renovated while the convent and huge kitchen garden were added to the S. Anna convent buildings and adapted to suit the nuns’ way of life.
The S. Anna convent was suppressed in 1786 and became a boarding school for young ladies. Some medieval remains have been discovered in the building (pillars and a well) and a fragment of a 13th century fresco. Of interest is the small square cloister entered through a porch (part of the S. Girolamo convent ) with the remains of early 17th century graffiti decorations attributed to Rutilio Manetti.
The lecture halls, offices and the Scuola Superiore college are housed in the ex S. Anna convent and the cloister of S. Girolamo dei Gesuati. The library is in the 17thcentury refectory of the ex monastery and the Aula Magna (Main Hall) looks on to a small cloister with an 18th century garden.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (D. Stiaffini; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Piazza Martiri della Libertà, 56127 Pisa
Connected routes: San Francesco nord
Bibliography:

G. Breghi, E. Neri (a cura di), La chiesa e il monastero di Sant'Anna in Pisa: sede della Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Bandecchi & Vivaldi, Pontedera 2002, pp. 25-36; 49-66.
Il patrimonio edilizio della Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna. Costituzione e trasformazione 1987-2007, Pisa 2007, pp. 12-37.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY SAN FRANCESCO NORD

Piazza Martiri della Libertà (Gabriele Gattiglia) Piazza Martiri della Libertà (Gabriele Gattiglia)
This square was designed by the architect Alessandro Gherardesca by will of the Grand ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di Santa Caterina (F. Anichini) Facciata - Chiesa di Santa Caterina (F. Anichini)
The Church, dedicated to St. ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Zeno (M. Febbraro) Facciata - Chiesa di San Zeno (M. Febbraro)
The Church of San Zeno is first mentioned in 1029, although alterations to the ...
read more
Interno - Chiesa di Sant’Anna (F.Delu, wikimediacommons) Interno - Chiesa di Sant’Anna (F.Delu, wikimediacommons)
The church and nunnery were built by Benedictine nuns from S. ...
read more
Terme di Nerone (vitaperimmagini.blogspot.it) Terme di Nerone (vitaperimmagini.blogspot.it)
Since the 13th century these ruins, known as "Bagni di Nerone" (Nero’s Baths) have ...
read more
 
Walking in the City

Palazzo della Scuola Sant’Anna

Chiostro gesuita - Palazzo della Scuola Sant’Anna (D. Tarantino)

The Scuola Superiore S. Anna has occupied this building since 1987; Benedictine nuns, originally from S. Paolo di Pugnano (1086), who had moved to this convent (known at the time as S. Anna al Renaio) in 1275, began building it and the church of St. Anna in 1407. The cloisters and an adjoining kitchen garden were renovated by Girolamo Ammannati in the early 16th century.
The convent was greatly enlarged in 1668, when the nuns purchased the adjacent convent and Church of S. Girolamo dei Gesuati, whose Order had been suppressed the previous year by the Pope. The church of S. Girolamo was renovated while the convent and huge kitchen garden were added to the S. Anna convent buildings and adapted to suit the nuns’ way of life.
The S. Anna convent was suppressed in 1786 and became a boarding school for young ladies. Some medieval remains have been discovered in the building (pillars and a well) and a fragment of a 13th century fresco. Of interest is the small square cloister entered through a porch (part of the S. Girolamo convent ) with the remains of early 17th century graffiti decorations attributed to Rutilio Manetti.
The lecture halls, offices and the Scuola Superiore college are housed in the ex S. Anna convent and the cloister of S. Girolamo dei Gesuati. The library is in the 17thcentury refectory of the ex monastery and the Aula Magna (Main Hall) looks on to a small cloister with an 18th century garden.

Address:
Bibliography:

G. Breghi, E. Neri (a cura di), La chiesa e il monastero di Sant'Anna in Pisa: sede della Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Bandecchi & Vivaldi, Pontedera 2002, pp. 25-36; 49-66.
Il patrimonio edilizio della Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna. Costituzione e trasformazione 1987-2007, Pisa 2007, pp. 12-37.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
HISTORICAL BUILDINGS
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

OSTERIA SANTA CATERINA78m

V. S. Cecilia, 34 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 581186

PIZZERIA MOONLIGHT131m

V. S. Lorenzo, 52 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 564433

LA CLESSIDRA145m

Via Santa Cecilia, 34 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 540160

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

RELAIS DEI FIORI96m

Giosuè Carducci, 37 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 556054
E-mail: info@relaisdeifiori.com
Sito: www.relaisdeifiori.com

RELAIS DEI FIORI 2° PIANO96m

Via Giosuè Carducci, 37, piano 2° - Pisa
Tel.: 050 556054
E-mail: info@relaisdeifiori.com
Sito: www.relaisdeifiori.com

RELAIS DEI FIORI 3° PIANO96m

Via Giosuè Carducci, 37, piano 3° - Pisa
Tel.: 050 556054
E-mail: info@relaisdeifiori.com
Sito: www.relaisdeifiori.com

VIEW ALL