Palazzo Toscanelli (M. Zampetti) photogallery Palazzo Toscanelli (M. Zampetti)

Built in the first half of the 16th century by Bartolomeo Lanfranchi, this palazzo is situated directly opposite Palazzo Lanfranchi, built by his son Alessandro on the other side of the river. In 1505 Bartolomeo purchased a five-storey domus on the Lungarno with loggia, a well and relevant facilities. The first alterations, by the architect Giovan Battista Cervelliera, were carried out in 1560 then, in 1576 Albizzo and Giovanni Lanfranchi created the luxurious mansion with a new facade overlooking the river.
Francesco Mosca, nicknamed “Meschino” designed a ‘modern’facade, with rusticated stone corners from roof to ground and an array of stone. His grey mouldings in hard sandstone can still be seen around the doorway, on the balcony, in the frame of the French windows, the window surrounds and the cornerstones.
The building takes its name from the Toscanelli family, builders, part of the emerging middle class, who bought it in 1827. In the 19th century, during renovation by the architect Alessandro Gherardesca, the sandstone window mouldings were replaced with marble in the neoclassical style, no longer visible. Inside, the palazzo was restructured and it became the sumptuous home of Giovan Battista Toscanelli and his wife Angiola Cipriani.
On the ceilings there are frescoes by Nicola Cianfanelli, Gaspero Martellini e Annibale Gatti showing Byron and poetry, the Apotheosis of Galileo and The apotheosis of Michelangelo. The design of this building is attributed - without any proof - to Gatti. The sculpture by Tribolo of a Harpy riding a toad, now in the Palazzo Blu collection, originally came from this palazzo. Since 1913 it has been occupied by Pisa State Archives (Archivio di Stato di Pisa).

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (A. Sobrero, M. Zampetti; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Lungarno Mediceo, 30, Pisa
Connected routes: Lungarni
Bibliography:

V. Di Feliciantonio, Palazzo Toscanelli, già Lanfranchi, in E. Karwacka Codini, (a cura di), Architettura a Pisa nel primo periodo mediceo, Gangemi Editore, Roma 2011, pp. 166-170.
D. Barsanti, Da impresari edili a famiglia aristocratica. Dimore, abitudini, mentalità, in E. Daniele (a cura di), Le dimore di Pisa, l’arte di abitare di una antica Repubblica Marinara dal medioevo all’Unità d’Italia, Alinea, Firenze 2010, pp. 301-307.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY LUNGARNI

Facciata - Chiesa di San Pietro in Vincoli (P. Fisicaro) Facciata - Chiesa di San Pietro in Vincoli (P. Fisicaro)
Originally, the Church of S. ...
read more
Ristrutturazione neo gotica - Palazzo Vecchio de’ Medici, Prefettura (M. Zampetti) Ristrutturazione neo gotica - Palazzo Vecchio de’ Medici, Prefettura (M. Zampetti)
The building on Lungarno Mediceo began as an ancient casa torre belonging to ...
read more
Museo Nazionale di S. Matteo, il chiostro interno (http://www.pabaac.beniculturali.it) Museo Nazionale di S. Matteo, il chiostro interno (http://www.pabaac.beniculturali.it)
The museum is housed in the rooms of the old Benedictine convent of S. ...
read more
Vista della facciata e del lato meridionale - Chiesa di San Matteo (C. Balbarini) Vista della facciata e del lato meridionale - Chiesa di San Matteo (C. Balbarini)
The Church and adjoining convent, belonging to Benedictine nuns, were begun in about ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di S. Silvestro (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Facciata - Chiesa di S. Silvestro (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
This church was founded in about 1118 by Benedictine monks from Montecassino, who ...
read more
Abside e campanile - Chiesa San Michele degli Scalzi (S. Manfrin) Abside e campanile - Chiesa San Michele degli Scalzi (S. Manfrin)
The Church of S. Michele is in the east part of Pisa. ...
read more
Struttura - SMS, Centro Espositivo San Michele degli Scalzi (Gnoix, wikimediacommons) Struttura - SMS, Centro Espositivo San Michele degli Scalzi (Gnoix, wikimediacommons)
Built on the site where the Richard Ginori ceramics factory once stood and ...
read more
Giardino Scotto (F. Anichini) Giardino Scotto (F. Anichini)
Archaeological sources reveal that this area was already inhabited in Roman times. ...
read more
Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia) Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia)
This palazzo takes its name from the Lanfranchi family who re-structured it and lived ...
read more
Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174) Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174)
This octagonal Church, built from locally quarried stone and lit by slit windows, is ...
read more
Walking in the City

Palazzo Toscanelli (once Lanfranchi), State Archives

Palazzo Toscanelli (M. Zampetti)

Built in the first half of the 16th century by Bartolomeo Lanfranchi, this palazzo is situated directly opposite Palazzo Lanfranchi, built by his son Alessandro on the other side of the river. In 1505 Bartolomeo purchased a five-storey domus on the Lungarno with loggia, a well and relevant facilities. The first alterations, by the architect Giovan Battista Cervelliera, were carried out in 1560 then, in 1576 Albizzo and Giovanni Lanfranchi created the luxurious mansion with a new facade overlooking the river.
Francesco Mosca, nicknamed “Meschino” designed a ‘modern’facade, with rusticated stone corners from roof to ground and an array of stone. His grey mouldings in hard sandstone can still be seen around the doorway, on the balcony, in the frame of the French windows, the window surrounds and the cornerstones.
The building takes its name from the Toscanelli family, builders, part of the emerging middle class, who bought it in 1827. In the 19th century, during renovation by the architect Alessandro Gherardesca, the sandstone window mouldings were replaced with marble in the neoclassical style, no longer visible. Inside, the palazzo was restructured and it became the sumptuous home of Giovan Battista Toscanelli and his wife Angiola Cipriani.
On the ceilings there are frescoes by Nicola Cianfanelli, Gaspero Martellini e Annibale Gatti showing Byron and poetry, the Apotheosis of Galileo and The apotheosis of Michelangelo. The design of this building is attributed - without any proof - to Gatti. The sculpture by Tribolo of a Harpy riding a toad, now in the Palazzo Blu collection, originally came from this palazzo. Since 1913 it has been occupied by Pisa State Archives (Archivio di Stato di Pisa).

Address:
Bibliography:

V. Di Feliciantonio, Palazzo Toscanelli, già Lanfranchi, in E. Karwacka Codini, (a cura di), Architettura a Pisa nel primo periodo mediceo, Gangemi Editore, Roma 2011, pp. 166-170.
D. Barsanti, Da impresari edili a famiglia aristocratica. Dimore, abitudini, mentalità, in E. Daniele (a cura di), Le dimore di Pisa, l’arte di abitare di una antica Repubblica Marinara dal medioevo all’Unità d’Italia, Alinea, Firenze 2010, pp. 301-307.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
HISTORICAL BUILDINGS
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

BABETTE FOOD AND ART CAFE'44m

Lungarno Mediceo, 15 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 9913302

TASTEMOTION SRL44m

Lungarno Mediceo, 15 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 541098

BLACK ROSE SRL83m

Via Delle Belle Torri, 14 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 543841

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

VERDI108m

Piazza della Repubblica, 5-6 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 598947
E-mail: info@verdihotel.it
Sito: www.verdihotel.it

RESIDENCE DOMUS219m

Via La Tinta, 11-13 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 2201404 - 412 -
E-mail: info@residencedomus.it
Sito: www.residencedomus.it

GEOGLOBE240m

Via E. Sighieri, 17 - Pisa
Tel.: 347 3057018
E-mail: paolo.l@tin.it

VIEW ALL