Torre dell'orologio - Palazzo Pretorio (G. Gattiglia) photogallery Torre dell'orologio - Palazzo Pretorio (G. Gattiglia)

The Government building or palazzo Pretorio, Headquarters of the Government Auditor and the Civil and Criminal Chancery, was one of the buildings involved in the process of renovation undertaken in the 18th and 19th centuries, that aimed to alter the medieval appearance of the town. This building too, was built by combining several medieval buildings. In 1785, when it became necessary to occupy part of it with prisons, opinion in Pisa was divided between the idea of keeping the medieval structures, with large gothic style mullioned windows on the first floor, and a triple loggia on the second floor, and that of adapting it to the new style, already visible in the nearby Logge di Banchi. Because no agreement could be reached it was decided to put the question aside for a while and to simply raise the height of the ancient tower (Torre della Giustitzia) to make the clock tower (Torre dell’Orologio). The plan to completely transform the building was only approved in 1821, to bring into line it with the other buildings already modernised on the Lungarnos. The new façade was made in rusticated Tuscan stone, emphasizing horizontal lines, and the base of the tower was aligned with the facade. The front was decorated with a marble frieze by Michele Van Lint that recounted the Grand Dukes’ glories and the ancient grandeur of the city.
Bombing 1944 destroyed the bridge (ponte di Mezzo) and almost totally demolished the building. It was reconstructed in 1953 by Sanpaolesi, who only partially based it on Gherardesca’s design. The ground floor loggia was extended to the whole length of the building and the clock tower was built taller.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (G. Gattiglia; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Lungarno Galileo Galilei, 43, 56125 Pisa
Connected routes: Lungarni
Bibliography:

E. Tolaini, Le Logge e la zona di Banchi nella storia urbana di Pisa, in “Architetture pisane” 1, Pisa 2004.
R. Ciuti, B. Leoni, Pisa nell’Ottocento. Le trasformazioni della città tra Granducato e Stato unitario, Felici Editore, Pisa 2010, pp. 75-81.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY LUNGARNI

Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia) Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia)
This palazzo takes its name from the Lanfranchi family who re-structured it and lived ...
read more
Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174) Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174)
This octagonal Church, built from locally quarried stone and lit by slit windows, is ...
read more
Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro) Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro)
Palazzo Mosca is a combination of several buildings dating from the late 12th century ...
read more
Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons) Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons)
In the 1300s, Palazzo Blu belonged to the Dell’Agnellos, an important family in the ...
read more
Abside - Chiesa di Santa Cristina (M. Febbraro) Abside - Chiesa di Santa Cristina (M. Febbraro)
Mentioned for the first time in the 8th century, the Church of St. ...
read more
Esterno - Chiesa di Santa Maria della Spina (M. Baldassarri) Esterno - Chiesa di Santa Maria della Spina (M. Baldassarri)
The Church acquired its present name when a Thorn from Christ’s Crown was donated to ...
read more
Facciata - Ex Monastero delle Benedettine (F. Anichini) Facciata - Ex Monastero delle Benedettine (F. Anichini)
The Church and convent, constructed for Benedictine nuns in 1393 in an area known as ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Paolo a Ripa d’Arno (saliko, wikimediacommons) Facciata - Chiesa di San Paolo a Ripa d’Arno (saliko, wikimediacommons)
Recorded as already existing in 1032, the Church passed to Vallombrosan monks between ...
read more
Ingresso - Cappella di Sant'Agata (M. Febbraro) Ingresso - Cappella di Sant'Agata (M. Febbraro)
The chapel is first mentioned 1132. Being near the church of S. ...
read more
Il cosiddetto “sostegno” all’imbocco del Canale dei navicelli (Dnax, wikimediacommons) Il cosiddetto “sostegno” all’imbocco del Canale dei navicelli (Dnax, wikimediacommons)
During the reign of Cosimo I de’ Medici a canal was dug from Pisa to the Old Fortress ...
read more
Walking in the City

Palazzo Pretorio

Torre dell'orologio - Palazzo Pretorio (G. Gattiglia)

The Government building or palazzo Pretorio, Headquarters of the Government Auditor and the Civil and Criminal Chancery, was one of the buildings involved in the process of renovation undertaken in the 18th and 19th centuries, that aimed to alter the medieval appearance of the town. This building too, was built by combining several medieval buildings. In 1785, when it became necessary to occupy part of it with prisons, opinion in Pisa was divided between the idea of keeping the medieval structures, with large gothic style mullioned windows on the first floor, and a triple loggia on the second floor, and that of adapting it to the new style, already visible in the nearby Logge di Banchi. Because no agreement could be reached it was decided to put the question aside for a while and to simply raise the height of the ancient tower (Torre della Giustitzia) to make the clock tower (Torre dell’Orologio). The plan to completely transform the building was only approved in 1821, to bring into line it with the other buildings already modernised on the Lungarnos. The new façade was made in rusticated Tuscan stone, emphasizing horizontal lines, and the base of the tower was aligned with the facade. The front was decorated with a marble frieze by Michele Van Lint that recounted the Grand Dukes’ glories and the ancient grandeur of the city.
Bombing 1944 destroyed the bridge (ponte di Mezzo) and almost totally demolished the building. It was reconstructed in 1953 by Sanpaolesi, who only partially based it on Gherardesca’s design. The ground floor loggia was extended to the whole length of the building and the clock tower was built taller.

Address:
Bibliography:

E. Tolaini, Le Logge e la zona di Banchi nella storia urbana di Pisa, in “Architetture pisane” 1, Pisa 2004.
R. Ciuti, B. Leoni, Pisa nell’Ottocento. Le trasformazioni della città tra Granducato e Stato unitario, Felici Editore, Pisa 2010, pp. 75-81.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
HISTORICAL BUILDINGS
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

RISTORANTE ENOTECA L'ETICHETTA85m

Via S. Martino, 89 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 24080

BENY111m

Piazza Gambacorti Chiara, 22 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 25067

MACCHERONI DANIELE116m

Lungarno Mediceo, 53 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 541080

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

PONTE DI MEZZO106m

Piazza Garibaldi, 12 - Pisa
Tel.: 349 0880688
E-mail: info@pontedimezzo.com
Sito: www.pontedimezzo.com

LE DONZELLE DI VETTOVAGLIE B & B128m

Vicolo delle Donzelle, 3 - Pisa
Tel.: 329 8026760
E-mail: niccolain@hotmail.com
Sito: www.bbledonzelle.com

ROYAL VICTORIA HOTEL135m

Lungarno Antonio Pacinotti, 12 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 940111
E-mail: post@royalvictoria.it
Sito: www.royalvictoria.it

VIEW ALL