Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro) photogallery Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro)

The building on the Lungarno known as Palazzo Mosca is a combination of several towers. The oldest, dating from the end of the 12th century is the one with free-standing pilasters built on the façade entirely of stone, coupled at the top by a pointed arch. Between the end of the 12th and the beginning of the 13th centuries, a second similar building was attached to it, with the only difference that bricks were used for the topmost part. Tower houses built attached to another were a development of the 1200s. The pilasters are not completely free-standing, being joined at the base by continuous stone masonry. The attention to detail in the construction, visible in the arches and the mouldings, often in marble, suggests refined clients.
In 1302 Mosca di Ventura, merchant and banker, moved from S. Gimignano to Pisa and commissioned Master Gerardo da Firenze to build him a well-appointed residence in these buildings, the details of their agreement are carefully outlinedin an act that has reached us.
Documents also reveal that Mosca’s descendants attemptedto annex other nearby buildings both on Lungarno and on carraia maiore (now via Toselli). After some difficulties, the Del Mosca family succeeded not only in recovering their ancient inheritance in the 17th century but increasing it to the point that, perhaps already in the 1600s, the palazzo achieved its present size and appearance, with the insertion of three rows of windows in sandstone on the main facades.
Along the stairway in Palazzo Mosca is a permanent exhibition of a selection from the 300 works by French post-impressionist artists, a donation by the Art merchant Bruno Bassano to the city of Pisa in 1975.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (M. Febbraro; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Lungarno Gambacorti, 3, 56125 Pisa
Connected routes: Lungarni Sant'Antonio Piazza dei Miracoli
Bibliography:

M. Febbraro, Abitare a Pisa. La cappella di S. Cristina in Chinzica: Società e Strutture Insediative tra Medioevo ed Età Contemporanea, in “Archeologia dell’Architettura”, XII (2008), pp. 11-53.
R. Pasqualetti (a cura di), Palazzo Mosca, Lungarno Gambacorti, Pisa, Belforte Grafica, Livorno, 1992.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY LUNGARNI

Vista dal Lungarno - Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Galletti (D. Stiaffini) Vista dal Lungarno - Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Galletti (D. Stiaffini)
The Church stands on the site of the Church of St. ...
read more
Scorcio - Piazza Cairoli, o della Berlina (www.toscana4u.net) Scorcio - Piazza Cairoli, o della Berlina (www.toscana4u.net)
The square as we see it it today was designed during the reign of Cosimo I de Medici, ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Pietro in Vincoli (P. Fisicaro) Facciata - Chiesa di San Pietro in Vincoli (P. Fisicaro)
Originally, the Church of S. ...
read more
Palazzo Toscanelli (M. Zampetti) Palazzo Toscanelli (M. Zampetti)
The first owner of the old building was Bartolomeo Lanfranchi who bought it in 1505. ...
read more
Ristrutturazione neo gotica - Palazzo Vecchio de’ Medici, Prefettura (M. Zampetti) Ristrutturazione neo gotica - Palazzo Vecchio de’ Medici, Prefettura (M. Zampetti)
The building on Lungarno Mediceo began as an ancient casa torre belonging to ...
read more
Museo Nazionale di S. Matteo, il chiostro interno (http://www.pabaac.beniculturali.it) Museo Nazionale di S. Matteo, il chiostro interno (http://www.pabaac.beniculturali.it)
The museum is housed in the rooms of the old Benedictine convent of S. ...
read more
Vista della facciata e del lato meridionale - Chiesa di San Matteo (C. Balbarini) Vista della facciata e del lato meridionale - Chiesa di San Matteo (C. Balbarini)
The Church and adjoining convent, belonging to Benedictine nuns, were begun in about ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di S. Silvestro (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Facciata - Chiesa di S. Silvestro (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
This church was founded in about 1118 by Benedictine monks from Montecassino, who ...
read more
Abside e campanile - Chiesa San Michele degli Scalzi (S. Manfrin) Abside e campanile - Chiesa San Michele degli Scalzi (S. Manfrin)
The Church of S. Michele is in the east part of Pisa. ...
read more
Struttura - SMS, Centro Espositivo San Michele degli Scalzi (Gnoix, wikimediacommons) Struttura - SMS, Centro Espositivo San Michele degli Scalzi (Gnoix, wikimediacommons)
Built on the site where the Richard Ginori ceramics factory once stood and ...
read more
Walking in the City

Palazzo Mosca , inizio XII- XVII secolo

Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro)

The building on the Lungarno known as Palazzo Mosca is a combination of several towers. The oldest, dating from the end of the 12th century is the one with free-standing pilasters built on the façade entirely of stone, coupled at the top by a pointed arch. Between the end of the 12th and the beginning of the 13th centuries, a second similar building was attached to it, with the only difference that bricks were used for the topmost part. Tower houses built attached to another were a development of the 1200s. The pilasters are not completely free-standing, being joined at the base by continuous stone masonry. The attention to detail in the construction, visible in the arches and the mouldings, often in marble, suggests refined clients.
In 1302 Mosca di Ventura, merchant and banker, moved from S. Gimignano to Pisa and commissioned Master Gerardo da Firenze to build him a well-appointed residence in these buildings, the details of their agreement are carefully outlinedin an act that has reached us.
Documents also reveal that Mosca’s descendants attemptedto annex other nearby buildings both on Lungarno and on carraia maiore (now via Toselli). After some difficulties, the Del Mosca family succeeded not only in recovering their ancient inheritance in the 17th century but increasing it to the point that, perhaps already in the 1600s, the palazzo achieved its present size and appearance, with the insertion of three rows of windows in sandstone on the main facades.
Along the stairway in Palazzo Mosca is a permanent exhibition of a selection from the 300 works by French post-impressionist artists, a donation by the Art merchant Bruno Bassano to the city of Pisa in 1975.

Address:
Bibliography:

M. Febbraro, Abitare a Pisa. La cappella di S. Cristina in Chinzica: Società e Strutture Insediative tra Medioevo ed Età Contemporanea, in “Archeologia dell’Architettura”, XII (2008), pp. 11-53.
R. Pasqualetti (a cura di), Palazzo Mosca, Lungarno Gambacorti, Pisa, Belforte Grafica, Livorno, 1992.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
HISTORICAL BUILDINGS
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

LA NUOVA MURAGLIA SNC DI DENG XIN E ZHAO W.32m

Via Toselli Pietro, 11 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 27372

LA TAVERNA DI PULCINELLA105m

Via Garofani, 10 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 5202704

MCR S.R.L.116m

Corso Italia, 15 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 20300

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

ROYAL VICTORIA HOTEL90m

Lungarno Antonio Pacinotti, 12 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 940111
E-mail: post@royalvictoria.it
Sito: www.royalvictoria.it

LE DONZELLE DI VETTOVAGLIE B & B121m

Vicolo delle Donzelle, 3 - Pisa
Tel.: 329 8026760
E-mail: niccolain@hotmail.com
Sito: www.bbledonzelle.com

MAISON LA NUNZIATINA135m

Via del Cappello, 3 - Pisa
Tel.: 392 1427703
E-mail: francescatorresi@msn.com

VIEW ALL