Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia) photogallery Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia)

This palazzo takes its name from the Lanfranchi family who re-structured it and lived in it from 1539.
The building is the result of amalgamating seven towers dating from the early 13th to the second half of the 14th centuries. The first merger was carried out in the early 1300s by Betto Stefani. The facade was completed by the Lanfranchi family in 1555, with Renaissance elements such as pediments over the windows, the off-centre door and the terrace with the family coat of arms. Some medieval structures can be seen in the façade and on Vicolo Lanfranchi.
The story of the various stages in construction is even more evident in the interior, since recent restorations reveal the texture of the oldest walls and some of the medieval fresco decoration, the most interesting of which is 14th century “vair” (pelt) painting.
The palazzo is now the Museum of Graphic Art.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (G. Gattiglia; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Lungarno Galileo Galilei, 8, 56125 Pisa
Connected routes: Lungarni San Martino
Bibliography:

Un palazzo, una città:il palazzo Lanfranchi in Pisa, Pacini Editore, Pisa 1980

STILL IN THE ITINERARY LUNGARNI

Ristrutturazione neo gotica - Palazzo Vecchio de’ Medici, Prefettura (M. Zampetti) Ristrutturazione neo gotica - Palazzo Vecchio de’ Medici, Prefettura (M. Zampetti)
The building on Lungarno Mediceo began as an ancient casa torre belonging to ...
read more
Museo Nazionale di S. Matteo, il chiostro interno (http://www.pabaac.beniculturali.it) Museo Nazionale di S. Matteo, il chiostro interno (http://www.pabaac.beniculturali.it)
The museum is housed in the rooms of the old Benedictine convent of S. ...
read more
Vista della facciata e del lato meridionale - Chiesa di San Matteo (C. Balbarini) Vista della facciata e del lato meridionale - Chiesa di San Matteo (C. Balbarini)
The Church and adjoining convent, belonging to Benedictine nuns, were begun in about ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di S. Silvestro (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Facciata - Chiesa di S. Silvestro (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
This church was founded in about 1118 by Benedictine monks from Montecassino, who ...
read more
Abside e campanile - Chiesa San Michele degli Scalzi (S. Manfrin) Abside e campanile - Chiesa San Michele degli Scalzi (S. Manfrin)
The Church of S. Michele is in the east part of Pisa. ...
read more
Struttura - SMS, Centro Espositivo San Michele degli Scalzi (Gnoix, wikimediacommons) Struttura - SMS, Centro Espositivo San Michele degli Scalzi (Gnoix, wikimediacommons)
Built on the site where the Richard Ginori ceramics factory once stood and ...
read more
Giardino Scotto (F. Anichini) Giardino Scotto (F. Anichini)
Archaeological sources reveal that this area was already inhabited in Roman times. ...
read more
Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174) Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174)
This octagonal Church, built from locally quarried stone and lit by slit windows, is ...
read more
Torre dell'orologio - Palazzo Pretorio (G. Gattiglia) Torre dell'orologio - Palazzo Pretorio (G. Gattiglia)
The aim of alterations in the 18th and 19th centuries was to renovate buildings and ...
read more
Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro) Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro)
Palazzo Mosca is a combination of several buildings dating from the late 12th century ...
read more
Walking in the City

Palazzo Lanfranchi

Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia)

This palazzo takes its name from the Lanfranchi family who re-structured it and lived in it from 1539.
The building is the result of amalgamating seven towers dating from the early 13th to the second half of the 14th centuries. The first merger was carried out in the early 1300s by Betto Stefani. The facade was completed by the Lanfranchi family in 1555, with Renaissance elements such as pediments over the windows, the off-centre door and the terrace with the family coat of arms. Some medieval structures can be seen in the façade and on Vicolo Lanfranchi.
The story of the various stages in construction is even more evident in the interior, since recent restorations reveal the texture of the oldest walls and some of the medieval fresco decoration, the most interesting of which is 14th century “vair” (pelt) painting.
The palazzo is now the Museum of Graphic Art.

Address:
Bibliography:

Un palazzo, una città:il palazzo Lanfranchi in Pisa, Pacini Editore, Pisa 1980

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
HISTORICAL BUILDINGS
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

PIZZERIA GALILEO57m

Via Sebastiano Silvestri, 10/12 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 28287

PIZZERIA DEL GALILEO DI DAILA SAS70m

Via Silvestri, 12 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 500469

OSTERIA DEL VIOLINO113m

Via La Tinta, 33 - Pisa
Tel.: 338 5044455

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

RESIDENCE DOMUS89m

Via La Tinta, 11-13 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 2201404 - 412 -
E-mail: info@residencedomus.it
Sito: www.residencedomus.it

CASA PER FERIE PADRE AGOSTINO202m

Via San Bernardo, 25 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 502245
E-mail: casaperferie@suorefigliedinazareth.it
Sito: www.istitutosuorefigliedinazareth.it

VERDI248m

Piazza della Repubblica, 5-6 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 598947
E-mail: info@verdihotel.it
Sito: www.verdihotel.it

VIEW ALL