Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons) photogallery Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons)

In the late middle ages, the building that today is Palazzo Blu belonged to one of the most important families in the history of Pisa, the Dell’Agnellos, who lived in two tower houses side by side. In 1356 they decided to join these to another of their residences by building a bridge over an already existing street. This second building is on the eastern side of the palazzo, set further back towards the south. The result of this work was declared by contemporary sources as being a very fine building and palzzo (“bellissimo edificio e palazzo”) ideal for the political status of this family who, in 1364 became doges of the city. In spite of being exiled in 1368, the Dell’Agnello were able to keep the building: when in 1494 the French king Charles VIII came to Pisa, he stayed at the home of Messer Giambernardino Dell’Agnello, lungarno Santa Cristina.
In the 1500s, the palazzo passed to the Sancasciani and then the Del Testa families. At Some time between 1577 and the sale in 1789 to the Bracci Cambinis, the facade was redesigned with rectangular windows framed in sandstone and a central door surmounted by a kneeling window with a balcony. In 1807 the building was owned by the Count Archinto family, who also bought part of the public concourse to enlarge the facade towards the west. They covered the ancient bridge and narrowed the street beside the church of S. Cristina. The colour of the façade dates from this period, perhaps to please guests from St. Petersburg who lived there. In 1864 it was bought by the Pisan nobleman Domenico Giuli, who built a new wing, to make the facade symmetrical, and connected it to palazzo Casarosa, his property. In later years the palazzo became as it is today.
The Fondazione Pisa bought the palazzo in the early 21st century, where it has transferred its Headquarters and created a centre for culturali activities and exhibitions.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (M. Febbraro; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Lungarno Gambacorti, 6, 56125 Pisa
Connected routes: Lungarni Sant'Antonio Piazza dei Miracoli
Bibliography:

M. Febbraro, Abitare a Pisa. La cappella di S. Cristina in Chinzica: Società e Strutture Insediative tra Medioevo ed Età Contemporanea, in “Archeologia dell’Architettura”, XII (2008), pp. 11-53.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY LUNGARNI

Facciata - Chiesa di San Pietro in Vincoli (P. Fisicaro) Facciata - Chiesa di San Pietro in Vincoli (P. Fisicaro)
Originally, the Church of S. ...
read more
Palazzo Toscanelli (M. Zampetti) Palazzo Toscanelli (M. Zampetti)
The first owner of the old building was Bartolomeo Lanfranchi who bought it in 1505. ...
read more
Ristrutturazione neo gotica - Palazzo Vecchio de’ Medici, Prefettura (M. Zampetti) Ristrutturazione neo gotica - Palazzo Vecchio de’ Medici, Prefettura (M. Zampetti)
The building on Lungarno Mediceo began as an ancient casa torre belonging to ...
read more
Museo Nazionale di S. Matteo, il chiostro interno (http://www.pabaac.beniculturali.it) Museo Nazionale di S. Matteo, il chiostro interno (http://www.pabaac.beniculturali.it)
The museum is housed in the rooms of the old Benedictine convent of S. ...
read more
Vista della facciata e del lato meridionale - Chiesa di San Matteo (C. Balbarini) Vista della facciata e del lato meridionale - Chiesa di San Matteo (C. Balbarini)
The Church and adjoining convent, belonging to Benedictine nuns, were begun in about ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di S. Silvestro (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Facciata - Chiesa di S. Silvestro (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
This church was founded in about 1118 by Benedictine monks from Montecassino, who ...
read more
Abside e campanile - Chiesa San Michele degli Scalzi (S. Manfrin) Abside e campanile - Chiesa San Michele degli Scalzi (S. Manfrin)
The Church of S. Michele is in the east part of Pisa. ...
read more
Struttura - SMS, Centro Espositivo San Michele degli Scalzi (Gnoix, wikimediacommons) Struttura - SMS, Centro Espositivo San Michele degli Scalzi (Gnoix, wikimediacommons)
Built on the site where the Richard Ginori ceramics factory once stood and ...
read more
Giardino Scotto (F. Anichini) Giardino Scotto (F. Anichini)
Archaeological sources reveal that this area was already inhabited in Roman times. ...
read more
Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia) Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia)
This palazzo takes its name from the Lanfranchi family who re-structured it and lived ...
read more
Walking in the City

Palazzo Giuli Rosselmini Gualandi - Palazzo Blu

Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons)

In the late middle ages, the building that today is Palazzo Blu belonged to one of the most important families in the history of Pisa, the Dell’Agnellos, who lived in two tower houses side by side. In 1356 they decided to join these to another of their residences by building a bridge over an already existing street. This second building is on the eastern side of the palazzo, set further back towards the south. The result of this work was declared by contemporary sources as being a very fine building and palzzo (“bellissimo edificio e palazzo”) ideal for the political status of this family who, in 1364 became doges of the city. In spite of being exiled in 1368, the Dell’Agnello were able to keep the building: when in 1494 the French king Charles VIII came to Pisa, he stayed at the home of Messer Giambernardino Dell’Agnello, lungarno Santa Cristina.
In the 1500s, the palazzo passed to the Sancasciani and then the Del Testa families. At Some time between 1577 and the sale in 1789 to the Bracci Cambinis, the facade was redesigned with rectangular windows framed in sandstone and a central door surmounted by a kneeling window with a balcony. In 1807 the building was owned by the Count Archinto family, who also bought part of the public concourse to enlarge the facade towards the west. They covered the ancient bridge and narrowed the street beside the church of S. Cristina. The colour of the façade dates from this period, perhaps to please guests from St. Petersburg who lived there. In 1864 it was bought by the Pisan nobleman Domenico Giuli, who built a new wing, to make the facade symmetrical, and connected it to palazzo Casarosa, his property. In later years the palazzo became as it is today.
The Fondazione Pisa bought the palazzo in the early 21st century, where it has transferred its Headquarters and created a centre for culturali activities and exhibitions.

Address:
Bibliography:

M. Febbraro, Abitare a Pisa. La cappella di S. Cristina in Chinzica: Società e Strutture Insediative tra Medioevo ed Età Contemporanea, in “Archeologia dell’Architettura”, XII (2008), pp. 11-53.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
HISTORICAL BUILDINGS
Apertura al pubblicoOpen to the public
Accessibilità: Aperto con orario prestabilito
Orario: dalla ore 10,00 alla 18,00 da Martedì a domenica visite guidate gratuite: h. 16-16,35-17,10 ( la visita dura circa 30 minuti). Visite guidate a pagamento per gruppi e scuole prenotando.
BigliettoTicket
Gratuito
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

LA NUOVA MURAGLIA SNC DI DENG XIN E ZHAO W.68m

Via Toselli Pietro, 11 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 27372

CRUPEL SRL89m

Lungarno Pacinotti Antonio, 40 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 2200423

BAGUS WINE & FOOD S.R.L.97m

Piazza Facchini, 17 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 26196

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

BOLOGNA76m

Via Giuseppe Mazzini, 57 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 502120
E-mail: info@hotelbologna.pisa.it
Sito: www.hotelbologna.pisa.it

MAZZINI 16 AC 293m

Giuseppe Mazzini, 16 p.2 - Pisa
Tel.: 339 4228697
Sito: www.mazzini16pisa.it

MAZZINI 16 AC 393m

Giuseppe Mazzini, 16 p.3 - Pisa
Tel.: 339 4228697
Sito: www.mazzini16pisa.it

VIEW ALL