Facciata - Palazzo Agostini Venerosi della Seta (F. Anichini) photogallery Facciata - Palazzo Agostini Venerosi della Seta (F. Anichini)

Transformed into a palazzo by joining several medieval buildings together, among which, documents mention at least four lofts, four workshops and a tower, this palazzo was built between the late 14th century and early 15th centuries, but was only acquired by Mariano and Pietro Agostini, silk merchants, in 1496, who gave it its name.
The façade, totally clad in Gothic terracotta mouldings, in the shapes of plants, human heads and heraldic designs, with double and triple mullioned windows, and the open loggia (later closed) on the top floor, make it one of the most important examples of domestic Gothic architecture in Tuscany. The use of terracotta is probably due to the trade of the Astai family, brickmakers, who owned the palazzo until the 15th century. The roof was added during renovation in 1895.
At street level is the Caffè dell’Ussero founded in 1775 (the palazzo is also known in Pisa as Palazzo dell’Ussero); it was the meeting place of famous scientists and erudite Italians and foreigners. In 1839 the first Congress of Italian Scientists was held in the Caffè, and it is still the seat of the Accademia Nazionale dell’Ussero. It was requisitioned by the Americans in 1944 and renovated and re-opened in 1959.
Behind the Palazzo is a hanging garden with citrus fruits, mentioned in the15th century, and the Cinema Lumìere, one of the most ancient cinemas in Italy, opened in 1905 in part of the Caffè, and the Medieval church of Sant’Ilario in Porta Aurea.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (F. Anichini; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Lungarno Antonio Pacinotti, 27, 56126 Pisa
Connected routes: Lungarni
Bibliography:

R. Bovani, R. Del Porro, Il Lumière di Pisa – Cento anni di cinema a Palazzo Agostini, Felici Editore, Pisa 2004.

L'Ussero: un caffè universitario, ETS, Pisa 2000.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY LUNGARNI

Vista della facciata e del lato meridionale - Chiesa di San Matteo (C. Balbarini) Vista della facciata e del lato meridionale - Chiesa di San Matteo (C. Balbarini)
The Church and adjoining convent, belonging to Benedictine nuns, were begun in about ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di S. Silvestro (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Facciata - Chiesa di S. Silvestro (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
This church was founded in about 1118 by Benedictine monks from Montecassino, who ...
read more
Abside e campanile - Chiesa San Michele degli Scalzi (S. Manfrin) Abside e campanile - Chiesa San Michele degli Scalzi (S. Manfrin)
The Church of S. Michele is in the east part of Pisa. ...
read more
Struttura - SMS, Centro Espositivo San Michele degli Scalzi (Gnoix, wikimediacommons) Struttura - SMS, Centro Espositivo San Michele degli Scalzi (Gnoix, wikimediacommons)
Built on the site where the Richard Ginori ceramics factory once stood and ...
read more
Giardino Scotto (F. Anichini) Giardino Scotto (F. Anichini)
Archaeological sources reveal that this area was already inhabited in Roman times. ...
read more
Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia) Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia)
This palazzo takes its name from the Lanfranchi family who re-structured it and lived ...
read more
Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174) Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174)
This octagonal Church, built from locally quarried stone and lit by slit windows, is ...
read more
Torre dell'orologio - Palazzo Pretorio (G. Gattiglia) Torre dell'orologio - Palazzo Pretorio (G. Gattiglia)
The aim of alterations in the 18th and 19th centuries was to renovate buildings and ...
read more
Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro) Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro)
Palazzo Mosca is a combination of several buildings dating from the late 12th century ...
read more
Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons) Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons)
In the 1300s, Palazzo Blu belonged to the Dell’Agnellos, an important family in the ...
read more
Walking in the City

Palazzo Agostini Venerosi della Seta

Facciata - Palazzo Agostini Venerosi della Seta (F. Anichini)

Transformed into a palazzo by joining several medieval buildings together, among which, documents mention at least four lofts, four workshops and a tower, this palazzo was built between the late 14th century and early 15th centuries, but was only acquired by Mariano and Pietro Agostini, silk merchants, in 1496, who gave it its name.
The façade, totally clad in Gothic terracotta mouldings, in the shapes of plants, human heads and heraldic designs, with double and triple mullioned windows, and the open loggia (later closed) on the top floor, make it one of the most important examples of domestic Gothic architecture in Tuscany. The use of terracotta is probably due to the trade of the Astai family, brickmakers, who owned the palazzo until the 15th century. The roof was added during renovation in 1895.
At street level is the Caffè dell’Ussero founded in 1775 (the palazzo is also known in Pisa as Palazzo dell’Ussero); it was the meeting place of famous scientists and erudite Italians and foreigners. In 1839 the first Congress of Italian Scientists was held in the Caffè, and it is still the seat of the Accademia Nazionale dell’Ussero. It was requisitioned by the Americans in 1944 and renovated and re-opened in 1959.
Behind the Palazzo is a hanging garden with citrus fruits, mentioned in the15th century, and the Cinema Lumìere, one of the most ancient cinemas in Italy, opened in 1905 in part of the Caffè, and the Medieval church of Sant’Ilario in Porta Aurea.

Address:
Bibliography:

R. Bovani, R. Del Porro, Il Lumière di Pisa – Cento anni di cinema a Palazzo Agostini, Felici Editore, Pisa 2004.

L'Ussero: un caffè universitario, ETS, Pisa 2000.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
PLACES OF WORSHIP
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

OSTERIA DEL PORTON ROSSO63m

Via Porton Rosso, 11 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 580566

La Stanzina di G.D.P. snc68m

Via Curtatone E Montanara, 9 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 42528

CRUPEL SRL80m

Lungarno Pacinotti Antonio, 40 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 2200423

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

ROYAL VICTORIA HOTEL59m

Lungarno Antonio Pacinotti, 12 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 940111
E-mail: post@royalvictoria.it
Sito: www.royalvictoria.it

L\'ARCHIVOLTO65m

Via Curtatone e Montanara, 11/2 - Pisa
Tel.: 347 6865378

LE DONZELLE DI VETTOVAGLIE B & B104m

Vicolo delle Donzelle, 3 - Pisa
Tel.: 329 8026760
E-mail: niccolain@hotmail.com
Sito: www.bbledonzelle.com

VIEW ALL