Parte della facciata - La Sapienza (D. Stiaffini) photogallery Parte della facciata - La Sapienza (D. Stiaffini)

Although the University of Pisa began in the 13th century, it did not have a home. It was officially founded on 14th September 1343, when it was recognised by Bull of Pope Clement VI.
After an interruption caused by the Florentine conquest of Pisa in 1406, Lorenzo il Magnifico reinstated University studies in the area of the 14th century Piazza Nuova del Grano, that for this reason was moved to the present-day piazza delle Vettovaglie. The foundation deeds of the La Sapienza building as Headquarters for the University date from 1472 but work on re-structuring the buildings in this area only began in 1493 and was completed in 1543 by Cosimo I, when the Renaissance style cloister with sandstone columns was built.


Entry is through a passageway decorated with several medieval coats of arms, leading to a courtyard surrounded by an arched portico with a loggia above; a bronze statue by Gigi Supino (1921) commemorates those who diedin the battle of Curtatone and Montanara during the Risorgimento, in which both students and professors from Pisa University fought. Beneath the arcade are inscriptions and busts of professors from Pisa University and the doorway to the Aula Magna Storica (Assembly hall), where there is a statue of Galileo Galilei carved by P.E. Demi in 1839.


Entry to the Aula Magna Nuova (New Assembly Hall) built in 1923, and the Biblioteca Universitaria (University libraray) is via the upper storey. The Library houses a outstanding collection of books and periodicals and about one hundred incunabulas, with manuscripts and letters, one of which is by Galileo Galilei and concerns falling bodies. The rest of the building is at present occupied by the University of Pisa Faculty of Law. The facade is in imitation Renaissance style, designed by V. Pilotti and built in the years 1907-1911.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (D. Stiaffini; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Via Curtatone e Montanara, 15, 56126 Pisa
Connected routes: Santa Maria est
Bibliography:

G. Pini, Aspetti della riorganizzazione del centro, in Livorno e Pisa: due città e un territorio nella politica dei Medici, Nistri Lischi e Pacini Editori, Pisa 1980, pp. 249-250.
R. P. Coppini, A. Tosi (a cura di), La Sapienza di Pisa, PLUS, Pisa 2004.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY SANTA MARIA EST

Facciata -  Chiesa di San Torpé (D. Tarantino) Facciata -  Chiesa di San Torpé (D. Tarantino)
The Church and adjoining convent, founded between 1254 and 1278, belonged to the ...
read more
Facciata  - Chiesa S. Giuseppe (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Facciata  - Chiesa S. Giuseppe (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
This Church, founded in 1530, was the first part of a large convent completed in 1534. ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di S. Apollonia (Lucarelli, wikimediacommos) Facciata - Chiesa di S. Apollonia (Lucarelli, wikimediacommos)
This Church, named S. Pietro in 1116, is documented as S. ...
read more
Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino) Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino)
This square is the result of re-styling ordered by Cosimo I in 1558 and entrusted to ...
read more
Piazza delle Vettovaglie vista dall'angolo nord-est (X. de Jauréguiberry) Piazza delle Vettovaglie vista dall'angolo nord-est (X. de Jauréguiberry)
The square was shaped when this part of the town centre was redesigned under Medici ...
read more
Campano - Torre del Campano e altri edifici medievali (M. Febbraro) Campano - Torre del Campano e altri edifici medievali (M. Febbraro)
The most famous building on Via Calvalca is the tall Campano (bell) Tower with ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Frediano (Francesca Anichini) Facciata - Chiesa di San Frediano (Francesca Anichini)
The church of S. Frediano is first mentioned in 1061. ...
read more
Scorcio - Piazza Dante (wifi.unipi.it) Scorcio - Piazza Dante (wifi.unipi.it)
The open space of Piazza Dante is the result of alterations to this area in the early ...
read more
Particolare dei palchi e della scena - Teatro Rossi (A. Sobrero) Particolare dei palchi e della scena - Teatro Rossi (A. Sobrero)
This is one of the public theatres in Pisa. ...
read more
Walking in the City

La Sapienza

Parte della facciata - La Sapienza (D. Stiaffini)

Although the University of Pisa began in the 13th century, it did not have a home. It was officially founded on 14th September 1343, when it was recognised by Bull of Pope Clement VI.
After an interruption caused by the Florentine conquest of Pisa in 1406, Lorenzo il Magnifico reinstated University studies in the area of the 14th century Piazza Nuova del Grano, that for this reason was moved to the present-day piazza delle Vettovaglie. The foundation deeds of the La Sapienza building as Headquarters for the University date from 1472 but work on re-structuring the buildings in this area only began in 1493 and was completed in 1543 by Cosimo I, when the Renaissance style cloister with sandstone columns was built.


Entry is through a passageway decorated with several medieval coats of arms, leading to a courtyard surrounded by an arched portico with a loggia above; a bronze statue by Gigi Supino (1921) commemorates those who diedin the battle of Curtatone and Montanara during the Risorgimento, in which both students and professors from Pisa University fought. Beneath the arcade are inscriptions and busts of professors from Pisa University and the doorway to the Aula Magna Storica (Assembly hall), where there is a statue of Galileo Galilei carved by P.E. Demi in 1839.


Entry to the Aula Magna Nuova (New Assembly Hall) built in 1923, and the Biblioteca Universitaria (University libraray) is via the upper storey. The Library houses a outstanding collection of books and periodicals and about one hundred incunabulas, with manuscripts and letters, one of which is by Galileo Galilei and concerns falling bodies. The rest of the building is at present occupied by the University of Pisa Faculty of Law. The facade is in imitation Renaissance style, designed by V. Pilotti and built in the years 1907-1911.

Address:
Bibliography:

G. Pini, Aspetti della riorganizzazione del centro, in Livorno e Pisa: due città e un territorio nella politica dei Medici, Nistri Lischi e Pacini Editori, Pisa 1980, pp. 249-250.
R. P. Coppini, A. Tosi (a cura di), La Sapienza di Pisa, PLUS, Pisa 2004.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
HISTORICAL BUILDINGS
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

PISA PIZZA38m

Via Curtatone E Montanara, 19/21 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 20320

La Stanzina di G.D.P. snc39m

Via Curtatone E Montanara, 9 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 42528

TRATTORIA "AL SIGNOR MIMMO"55m

Via Domenico Cavalca, 44 - Pisa
Tel.: 346 1725979,050 543344

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

L\'ARCHIVOLTO39m

Via Curtatone e Montanara, 11/2 - Pisa
Tel.: 347 6865378

B&B CUORE DI PISA48m

piazza san Frediano, 6 - Pisa
Tel.: 050577521
E-mail: cuoredipisa@gmail.com

LEONARDO96m

Via Tavoleria, 17 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 579946 050 57981
E-mail: info@hotelleonardopisa.it
Sito: www.hotelleonardopisa.it

VIEW ALL