Giardino Scotto (F. Anichini) photogallery Giardino Scotto (F. Anichini)

Recent archaeological excavations have revealed that Giardino Scotto area (that has not always been a park) underwent many changes. Because it was alongside the main via Aemilia Scauri, road it was probably already partially inhabited in Roman times. It was abandoned completely throughout the early middle ages but in 1095 the church of S. Andrea in Chinzica was founded here. By the 13th century, it had become a thriving area of craftsmen, mostly potters, so it was known as Baractularia. During the 14th century several bell-foundries were set up for casting bells in bronze, a trade that the Pisan maestri excelled in.


After conquering Pisa in the 15th century, the Florentines built a fortified citadel here (1440-75), to keep watch on the inhabitants of the city. Brunelleschi took part in the project. In order to construct the citadel, all the constructions in the area were demolished but part of the medieval walls of the city were used, of which two semicircular towers and a stone wall and escarpment to the west still stand.


In 1495 the fortress was partly destroyed during a Pisan uprising. Between 1509 and 1512, following the second Florentine conquest, Antonio da Sangallo used part of the earlier construction to build a new star-shaped fort to the south, still visible today from piazza Guerrazzi, and a bastion on the banks of the Arno.


The fortress was dismantled in 1785 and in place of the bastion, a mansion was built, the property of Domenico Scotto, from whom it took its name. The part of the fortress behind the house became a private garden. In 1936, when the palazzo became the Regia Questura, the last heirs donated the park to the citizens of Pisa.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (F. Anichini; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Lungarno Leonardo Fibonacci, 2, 56125 Pisa
Connected routes: San Martino Lungarni
Bibliography:

G. Gattiglia, M. Milanese (a cura di), Palazzo Scotto Corsini. Archeologia e storia delle trasformazioni di un'area urbana a Pisa tra XI e XX secolo, Felici Editore, Pisa 2006.
R. Pasqualetti, D. Andolfi (a cura di), La Fortezza di Pisa Dal Brunelleschi al Giardino Scotto. Storia e restauro, ETS, Pisa 2009.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY SAN MARTINO

Piazza Chiara Gambacorti (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Piazza Chiara Gambacorti (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
In 2004 this square and the remains of the medieval church of S. ...
read more
Lunetta sopra la porta di accesso - Ex Teatro Redini (M. Baldassarri) Lunetta sopra la porta di accesso - Ex Teatro Redini (M. Baldassarri)
This theatre takes its name from its founder Giuseppe Redini, a medical specialist ...
read more
Facciata - Palazzo Salviati (www.pisaoggi.it/Guida-di-Pisa/Palazzi) Facciata - Palazzo Salviati (www.pisaoggi.it/Guida-di-Pisa/Palazzi)
This palazzo is an agglomeration of medieval buildings, joined to one another by the ...
read more
Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174) Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174)
This octagonal Church, built from locally quarried stone and lit by slit windows, is ...
read more
Nino Pisano (attrib.), Madonna in trono col Bambino detta Madonna dei Vetturini, Museo Nazionale di San Matteo: da Pisa nei secoli. L’arte, la storia, la tradizione, 2, a cura di A. Zampieri, Pisa, ETS, 2003, p. 134, fig. 56 Nino Pisano (attrib.), Madonna in trono col Bambino detta Madonna dei Vetturini, Museo Nazionale di San Matteo: da Pisa nei secoli. L’arte, la storia, la tradizione, 2, a cura di A. Zampieri, Pisa, ETS, 2003, p. 134, fig. 56
At the end of the 16th century the wooden statue of the Madonna and Child was ...
read more
Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia) Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia)
This palazzo takes its name from the Lanfranchi family who re-structured it and lived ...
read more
Walking in the City

Giardino Scotto

Giardino Scotto (F. Anichini)

Recent archaeological excavations have revealed that Giardino Scotto area (that has not always been a park) underwent many changes. Because it was alongside the main via Aemilia Scauri, road it was probably already partially inhabited in Roman times. It was abandoned completely throughout the early middle ages but in 1095 the church of S. Andrea in Chinzica was founded here. By the 13th century, it had become a thriving area of craftsmen, mostly potters, so it was known as Baractularia. During the 14th century several bell-foundries were set up for casting bells in bronze, a trade that the Pisan maestri excelled in.


After conquering Pisa in the 15th century, the Florentines built a fortified citadel here (1440-75), to keep watch on the inhabitants of the city. Brunelleschi took part in the project. In order to construct the citadel, all the constructions in the area were demolished but part of the medieval walls of the city were used, of which two semicircular towers and a stone wall and escarpment to the west still stand.


In 1495 the fortress was partly destroyed during a Pisan uprising. Between 1509 and 1512, following the second Florentine conquest, Antonio da Sangallo used part of the earlier construction to build a new star-shaped fort to the south, still visible today from piazza Guerrazzi, and a bastion on the banks of the Arno.


The fortress was dismantled in 1785 and in place of the bastion, a mansion was built, the property of Domenico Scotto, from whom it took its name. The part of the fortress behind the house became a private garden. In 1936, when the palazzo became the Regia Questura, the last heirs donated the park to the citizens of Pisa.

Address:
Bibliography:

G. Gattiglia, M. Milanese (a cura di), Palazzo Scotto Corsini. Archeologia e storia delle trasformazioni di un'area urbana a Pisa tra XI e XX secolo, Felici Editore, Pisa 2006.
R. Pasqualetti, D. Andolfi (a cura di), La Fortezza di Pisa Dal Brunelleschi al Giardino Scotto. Storia e restauro, ETS, Pisa 2009.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
PARKS AND GARDENS
Apertura al pubblicoOpen to the public
Gen/Nov/Dic: 8.00-17.00, Feb/Mar: 8.00-17.30, Apr/Ott: 8.00-19.00, Mag/Sett: 8.00-20.00, Giu/Lug/Ago: 8.00-20.30
Chiusura: 1° gennaio, Pasqua, 1° Maggio, 25 Dicembre
BigliettoTicket
Accesso gratuito
ContattiContacts
050 23044
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

PIZZAMANIA PANUOZZO MANIA191m

Via Del Borghetto, 14 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 9711765

OSTERIA DEL VIOLINO198m

Via La Tinta, 33 - Pisa
Tel.: 338 5044455

RATATOUILLE S.R.L.198m

Via La Tinta, 33 - Pisa
Tel.: 340 5939523

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

RESIDENCE DOMUS172m

Via La Tinta, 11-13 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 2201404 - 412 -
E-mail: info@residencedomus.it
Sito: www.residencedomus.it

ON THE RIVER172m

Lungarno Bruno Buozzi, 2 - Pisa
Tel.: 329 2018893 - 327 12
E-mail: bbontheriver@gmail.com
Sito: www.bbontheriver.it

MINERVA207m

Piazza Giuseppe Toniolo, 20 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 501081
E-mail: info@hotelminervapisa.it
Sito: www.hotelminerva.pisa.it

VIEW ALL