Lunetta sopra la porta di accesso - Ex Teatro Redini (M. Baldassarri) photogallery Lunetta sopra la porta di accesso - Ex Teatro Redini (M. Baldassarri)

The theatre, inaugurated in the autumn of 1901 in the quarter of San Martino not far from the Church of S. Bernardo, took its name from the founder, Giuseppe Redini. Born to a family of farmers from near Mantua, he became a well-known orthopedic specialist. He began work on his theatre towards the end of the 19th century and opened it to the townspeople on the threshold of the 20th century.
It was a simple building, a rectangular hall with a gallery and four boxes along one side. The golden age of the theatre was at the time of Giolitti (1901-1914) and it was often used by anarchists, probably because of Redini’s Republican and libertarian leanings.
Performances became much less frequent after the first world war, and in the 1930s, the theatre was bought by the painter and engraver Giuseppe Viviani: it ceased functioning during the second world war. It became a roller skating rink, then a dance hall and finally a cinema, until it became a workshop and storehouse.
All that remains of the theatre today is the sign above the entrance and a wood carving in the lunette above the arch, of a Muse, probably Terpsichore, playing the lyre.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (M. Baldassarri; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Via Pietro Gori, 33, 56125 Pisa
Connected routes: San Martino
Bibliography:

G. Dell'Ira, I teatri di Pisa (1773-1986), Giardini Editori, Pisa 1987.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY SAN MARTINO

Piazza Chiara Gambacorti (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Piazza Chiara Gambacorti (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
In 2004 this square and the remains of the medieval church of S. ...
read more
Facciata - Palazzo Salviati (www.pisaoggi.it/Guida-di-Pisa/Palazzi) Facciata - Palazzo Salviati (www.pisaoggi.it/Guida-di-Pisa/Palazzi)
This palazzo is an agglomeration of medieval buildings, joined to one another by the ...
read more
Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174) Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174)
This octagonal Church, built from locally quarried stone and lit by slit windows, is ...
read more
Nino Pisano (attrib.), Madonna in trono col Bambino detta Madonna dei Vetturini, Museo Nazionale di San Matteo: da Pisa nei secoli. L’arte, la storia, la tradizione, 2, a cura di A. Zampieri, Pisa, ETS, 2003, p. 134, fig. 56 Nino Pisano (attrib.), Madonna in trono col Bambino detta Madonna dei Vetturini, Museo Nazionale di San Matteo: da Pisa nei secoli. L’arte, la storia, la tradizione, 2, a cura di A. Zampieri, Pisa, ETS, 2003, p. 134, fig. 56
At the end of the 16th century the wooden statue of the Madonna and Child was ...
read more
Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia) Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia)
This palazzo takes its name from the Lanfranchi family who re-structured it and lived ...
read more
 
Walking in the City

Former Redini Theatre

Lunetta sopra la porta di accesso - Ex Teatro Redini (M. Baldassarri)

The theatre, inaugurated in the autumn of 1901 in the quarter of San Martino not far from the Church of S. Bernardo, took its name from the founder, Giuseppe Redini. Born to a family of farmers from near Mantua, he became a well-known orthopedic specialist. He began work on his theatre towards the end of the 19th century and opened it to the townspeople on the threshold of the 20th century.
It was a simple building, a rectangular hall with a gallery and four boxes along one side. The golden age of the theatre was at the time of Giolitti (1901-1914) and it was often used by anarchists, probably because of Redini’s Republican and libertarian leanings.
Performances became much less frequent after the first world war, and in the 1930s, the theatre was bought by the painter and engraver Giuseppe Viviani: it ceased functioning during the second world war. It became a roller skating rink, then a dance hall and finally a cinema, until it became a workshop and storehouse.
All that remains of the theatre today is the sign above the entrance and a wood carving in the lunette above the arch, of a Muse, probably Terpsichore, playing the lyre.

Address:
Bibliography:

G. Dell'Ira, I teatri di Pisa (1773-1986), Giardini Editori, Pisa 1987.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
THEATRES
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

LA CERERIA49m

Via Gori, 33 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 20336

CAINO77m

Via Del Carmine, 3 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 43111

LE SCUDERIE102m

Via Sancasciani, 1 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 40884

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

CASA PER FERIE PADRE AGOSTINO69m

Via San Bernardo, 25 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 502245
E-mail: casaperferie@suorefigliedinazareth.it
Sito: www.istitutosuorefigliedinazareth.it

ALICE FERRISI C88m

Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, n° 23, int. C - Pisa
Tel.: 338 7914208
E-mail: ferrisialice@gmail.com

DA FRANCO88m

Via italo Simon, 23, piano 5°, int. 20 - Cisanello - Pisa
Tel.: 348 7743050
E-mail: franju1_@hotmail.com

VIEW ALL