Facciata - Chiesa di S. Bernardo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommos) photogallery Facciata - Chiesa di S. Bernardo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommos)

The Church of S. Bernardo was built in the 1400s, on the site of the old Osnello hospital (named after the founder) first mentioned in 1189. Constructed on one of the most ancient streets in this part of Pisa, it was intended to shelter pilgrims and wayfarers. This street, now via Pietro Gori, was once called Carraia Minucioli, then Carraia Gonnelle.


A previous medieval building, destroyed in the mid 1200s, was rebuilt in 1401 and joined to the Cistercian convent of S. Bernardo; in 1444 the nuns completely reconstructed the entire religious complex but later this too underwent much renovation and many adaptations. In 1616 the building and its internal flooring were raised and around the mid 1700s the Church was re-styled with the appearance it has today. The church belonged to Cistercian nuns until the early 19th century when, on suppression of the monasteries, they moved to the church of S. Silvestro.


The bricked-up arches and windows in the left-hand outside wall probably date from the 15th century. Other buildings with brick arches belonging to the late medieval hospital can be picked out in via S. Bernardo, and vicolo Scaramucci.


Inside, the remains of the building’s Baroque decorations can still be seen, with gilt plaster mouldings by Antonio Ferri and frescoes on the vaulted ceiling with Stories from the Life of St. Bernard by Tommaso Tommasi. On the walls, in elaborate stucco frames, are two frescos by G. Battista Tempesti painted in mid 18th century.


Today the church is deconsecrated. Now called “Cantiere S. Bernardo”, it is used by a group of young artists for their activities.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (A. Alberti; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Via San Bernardo, 5-9, 56125 Pisa
Connected routes: San Martino
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 155-156.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY SAN MARTINO

Piazza Chiara Gambacorti (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Piazza Chiara Gambacorti (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
In 2004 this square and the remains of the medieval church of S. ...
read more
Lunetta sopra la porta di accesso - Ex Teatro Redini (M. Baldassarri) Lunetta sopra la porta di accesso - Ex Teatro Redini (M. Baldassarri)
This theatre takes its name from its founder Giuseppe Redini, a medical specialist ...
read more
Facciata - Palazzo Salviati (www.pisaoggi.it/Guida-di-Pisa/Palazzi) Facciata - Palazzo Salviati (www.pisaoggi.it/Guida-di-Pisa/Palazzi)
This palazzo is an agglomeration of medieval buildings, joined to one another by the ...
read more
Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174) Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174)
This octagonal Church, built from locally quarried stone and lit by slit windows, is ...
read more
Nino Pisano (attrib.), Madonna in trono col Bambino detta Madonna dei Vetturini, Museo Nazionale di San Matteo: da Pisa nei secoli. L’arte, la storia, la tradizione, 2, a cura di A. Zampieri, Pisa, ETS, 2003, p. 134, fig. 56 Nino Pisano (attrib.), Madonna in trono col Bambino detta Madonna dei Vetturini, Museo Nazionale di San Matteo: da Pisa nei secoli. L’arte, la storia, la tradizione, 2, a cura di A. Zampieri, Pisa, ETS, 2003, p. 134, fig. 56
At the end of the 16th century the wooden statue of the Madonna and Child was ...
read more
Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia) Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia)
This palazzo takes its name from the Lanfranchi family who re-structured it and lived ...
read more
 
Walking in the City

Ex Chiesa di San Bernardo

Facciata - Chiesa di S. Bernardo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommos)

The Church of S. Bernardo was built in the 1400s, on the site of the old Osnello hospital (named after the founder) first mentioned in 1189. Constructed on one of the most ancient streets in this part of Pisa, it was intended to shelter pilgrims and wayfarers. This street, now via Pietro Gori, was once called Carraia Minucioli, then Carraia Gonnelle.


A previous medieval building, destroyed in the mid 1200s, was rebuilt in 1401 and joined to the Cistercian convent of S. Bernardo; in 1444 the nuns completely reconstructed the entire religious complex but later this too underwent much renovation and many adaptations. In 1616 the building and its internal flooring were raised and around the mid 1700s the Church was re-styled with the appearance it has today. The church belonged to Cistercian nuns until the early 19th century when, on suppression of the monasteries, they moved to the church of S. Silvestro.


The bricked-up arches and windows in the left-hand outside wall probably date from the 15th century. Other buildings with brick arches belonging to the late medieval hospital can be picked out in via S. Bernardo, and vicolo Scaramucci.


Inside, the remains of the building’s Baroque decorations can still be seen, with gilt plaster mouldings by Antonio Ferri and frescoes on the vaulted ceiling with Stories from the Life of St. Bernard by Tommaso Tommasi. On the walls, in elaborate stucco frames, are two frescos by G. Battista Tempesti painted in mid 18th century.


Today the church is deconsecrated. Now called “Cantiere S. Bernardo”, it is used by a group of young artists for their activities.

Address:
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 155-156.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
PLACES OF WORSHIP
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

LA CERERIA30m

Via Gori, 33 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 20336

BIRRERIA DAB S.A.S. DI MONTES RAMIREZ ROLANDO EDGA SAS49m

Via S. Bernardo, 20 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 500872

TRATTORIA DA CUCCIOLO65m

V. Rosselmini, 9 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 26086

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

CASA PER FERIE PADRE AGOSTINO25m

Via San Bernardo, 25 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 502245
E-mail: casaperferie@suorefigliedinazareth.it
Sito: www.istitutosuorefigliedinazareth.it

LA DIMORA83m

Via San Bernardo, 22 - Pisa
Tel.: 342 0556811
E-mail: ladimora2012@gmail.com

ALICE FERRISI C88m

Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, n° 23, int. C - Pisa
Tel.: 338 7914208
E-mail: ferrisialice@gmail.com

VIEW ALL