Facciata - Chiesa di Santa Eufrasia (A. Alberti) photogallery Facciata - Chiesa di Santa Eufrasia (A. Alberti)

The Church of S. Eufrasia is mentioned for the first time in 780, in the foundation deeds of the Benedictine monastery of S. Savino, lying not far outside the city. It was probably rebuilt in 1124 and given the names of Saints Eufrasia and Barbara.


The church has been rebuilt and renovated several times over the centuries: the most important changes were carried out during the early decades of the 17th and in the 18th centuries, after the church passed into the hands of the Carmelite order of the Barefoot Teresians. The gabled front of the building is divided in two parts: below is the medieval construction in dressed blocks of stone and a portal surmounted by a round-arched lunette, with 18th century brickwork above.


The interior is simple, with an apse; the columns, pilasters and plaster decorations date mostly from 18th century renovations. The paintings on canvas once hanging above the altars – The Death of St. Teresa by Mauro Soderini and The Death of St. Joseph by Francesco Conti and Ignazio Hugford - were removed some time ago to the nearby church of S. Sisto and the Museum of S. Matteo. A 13th century painting on wood depicting the Madonna and the two patron saints of the Church, perhaps once part of a larger altarpiece, was moved to the new Church of St. Mary Mother of the Church in via Parini on the outskirts of Pisa, when the Church of St. Eufrasia was deconsecrated after the war. Nowadays the Church is used by the University.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (A. Alberti; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Via dei Mille, 14, 56126 Pisa
Connected routes: Piazza dei Miracoli
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 109-110.

E. Carli, La pittura a Pisa dalle origini alla 'Bella Maniera', Pacini Editore, Pisa 1994, pp. 18-19.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY PIAZZA DEI MIRACOLI

Giovanni da Milano (attrib.), particolare dell’Annunciazione, Santa Maria del Carmine (affresco staccato dal chiostro): da M. L. Ceccarelli Lemut e F. Paliaga, La chiesa di S. Maria del Carmine, Pisa, ETS, 2002 Giovanni da Milano (attrib.), particolare dell’Annunciazione, Santa Maria del Carmine (affresco staccato dal chiostro): da M. L. Ceccarelli Lemut e F. Paliaga, La chiesa di S. Maria del Carmine, Pisa, ETS, 2002
The Church, founded by Carmelite monks from the Holy Land in 1325, underwent changes ...
read more
Facciata verso l'Arno - Logge dei Banchi (G. Gattiglia) Facciata verso l'Arno - Logge dei Banchi (G. Gattiglia)
Designed by Bernardo Buontalentiand built by will of the Grand Duke of Tuscany ...
read more
Palaxio nuovo - Palazzo Gambacorti (M. Febbraro) Palaxio nuovo - Palazzo Gambacorti (M. Febbraro)
Palazzo Gambacorti is the result of a long sereies of extensions and adaptations, ...
read more
Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro) Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro)
Palazzo Mosca is a combination of several buildings dating from the late 12th century ...
read more
Abside - Chiesa di Santa Cristina (M. Febbraro) Abside - Chiesa di Santa Cristina (M. Febbraro)
Mentioned for the first time in the 8th century, the Church of St. ...
read more
Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons) Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons)
In the 1300s, Palazzo Blu belonged to the Dell’Agnellos, an important family in the ...
read more
Ponte di Mezzo (Daderot, wikimediacommons) Ponte di Mezzo (Daderot, wikimediacommons)
The bridge was rebuilt after the war in reinforced concrete and faced in white stone ...
read more
Vista dall'alto - Piazza Garibaldi (www.tabaccheria21.net) Vista dall'alto - Piazza Garibaldi (www.tabaccheria21.net)
Facing on to this square are historically important buildings that defined social and ...
read more
Facciata, su piazza Garibaldi - Casino dei nobili (A. Sobrero) Facciata, su piazza Garibaldi - Casino dei nobili (A. Sobrero)
In the Tuscan language, from at least the 16th century the word “casino” meant a ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
The Church and monastery are first mentioned in 1016 as the adaptation of a ...
read more
Walking in the City

Chiesa di Santa Eufrasia

Facciata - Chiesa di Santa Eufrasia (A. Alberti)

The Church of S. Eufrasia is mentioned for the first time in 780, in the foundation deeds of the Benedictine monastery of S. Savino, lying not far outside the city. It was probably rebuilt in 1124 and given the names of Saints Eufrasia and Barbara.


The church has been rebuilt and renovated several times over the centuries: the most important changes were carried out during the early decades of the 17th and in the 18th centuries, after the church passed into the hands of the Carmelite order of the Barefoot Teresians. The gabled front of the building is divided in two parts: below is the medieval construction in dressed blocks of stone and a portal surmounted by a round-arched lunette, with 18th century brickwork above.


The interior is simple, with an apse; the columns, pilasters and plaster decorations date mostly from 18th century renovations. The paintings on canvas once hanging above the altars – The Death of St. Teresa by Mauro Soderini and The Death of St. Joseph by Francesco Conti and Ignazio Hugford - were removed some time ago to the nearby church of S. Sisto and the Museum of S. Matteo. A 13th century painting on wood depicting the Madonna and the two patron saints of the Church, perhaps once part of a larger altarpiece, was moved to the new Church of St. Mary Mother of the Church in via Parini on the outskirts of Pisa, when the Church of St. Eufrasia was deconsecrated after the war. Nowadays the Church is used by the University.

Address:
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 109-110.

E. Carli, La pittura a Pisa dalle origini alla 'Bella Maniera', Pacini Editore, Pisa 1994, pp. 18-19.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
PLACES OF WORSHIP
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

RISTORANTE OSTERIA DEI MILLE34m

Via Dei Mille, 32 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 556263

SILVESTRO SAS DI SILVESTRINI CARLO & C.45m

Via Uguccione Della Faggiola, 1 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 556179

IL CANGURO84m

Via Santa Maria, 151 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 561942

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

CASA SAN DOMENICO54m

Via Uguccione della Faggiola, 26 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 561858
E-mail: casasandomenico@yahoo.it

PENS. SUORE FRANCESCANE OSP. S. CHIARA54m

Via della Faggiola, 27 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 561814
E-mail: istitutofrancescane@alice.it

BED & TOWER78m

Via Santa Maria, 77 - Pisa
Tel.: 389 3116049
E-mail: bedandtowerpisa@gmail.com

VIEW ALL