Abside - Chiesa di Santa Cristina (M. Febbraro) photogallery Abside - Chiesa di Santa Cristina (M. Febbraro)

The earliest mention of a Church dedicated to St. Christina is in an 8th century AD index of documents, but only after the year 1000 is it reported to be in the Chinzica area, south of the River Arno. From documents in the early Middle Ages we know that the Church had a porch in front and the room at the base of the bell tower was let as a workshop.
The appearance of the church today, built north-west - south-east and facing the Lungarno. is the result of renovation in the 19th century. It is plastered overall, with the exception of the apse at the eastern end, next to the 19th century bell tower, with a single nave and pitched roof.


The apse, perhaps dating from the 10th or 11th century, is the oldest remaining part: a series of pilasters and half columns, linked by round dead arches that surround alternating rhombs and rosettes, divide it into segments. Below, in the central part, there are bricked-up round-arched slit windows. Its chief characteristic is the variety of materials used, all from the area around Pisa and Livorno and worked in various ways, mixed with bricks recovered from older buildings. It is unclear whether this is the result of work carried out at the one time or the result of several adaptations.


The inside is simple, it houses a 14th century Madonna and Child on wood, a 17th century canvas by Passignano (St. Catharine receiving the stigmata), a 17th century view of the Pisan Lungarno and a 19th century copy of the medieval Crucifix by Enrico di Tedice that once hung in this church, before which St. Catherine of Siena received the stigmata in 1375.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (M. Febbraro; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Lungarno Gambacorti, 9, 56125 Pisa
Connected routes: Lungarni Sant'Antonio Piazza dei Miracoli
Bibliography:

M. Febbraro, Abitare a Pisa. La cappella di S. Cristina in Chinzica: Società e Strutture Insediative tra Medioevo ed Età Contemporanea, in “Archeologia dell’Architettura”, XII (2008), pp. 11-53.
G. Garzella, Pisa com’era. Topografia ed insediamento, Liguori, Napoli 1990, pp. 13- 18; 92-102.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY LUNGARNI

Scorcio - Piazza Cairoli, o della Berlina (www.toscana4u.net) Scorcio - Piazza Cairoli, o della Berlina (www.toscana4u.net)
The square as we see it it today was designed during the reign of Cosimo I de Medici, ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Pietro in Vincoli (P. Fisicaro) Facciata - Chiesa di San Pietro in Vincoli (P. Fisicaro)
Originally, the Church of S. ...
read more
Palazzo Toscanelli (M. Zampetti) Palazzo Toscanelli (M. Zampetti)
The first owner of the old building was Bartolomeo Lanfranchi who bought it in 1505. ...
read more
Ristrutturazione neo gotica - Palazzo Vecchio de’ Medici, Prefettura (M. Zampetti) Ristrutturazione neo gotica - Palazzo Vecchio de’ Medici, Prefettura (M. Zampetti)
The building on Lungarno Mediceo began as an ancient casa torre belonging to ...
read more
Museo Nazionale di S. Matteo, il chiostro interno (http://www.pabaac.beniculturali.it) Museo Nazionale di S. Matteo, il chiostro interno (http://www.pabaac.beniculturali.it)
The museum is housed in the rooms of the old Benedictine convent of S. ...
read more
Vista della facciata e del lato meridionale - Chiesa di San Matteo (C. Balbarini) Vista della facciata e del lato meridionale - Chiesa di San Matteo (C. Balbarini)
The Church and adjoining convent, belonging to Benedictine nuns, were begun in about ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di S. Silvestro (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Facciata - Chiesa di S. Silvestro (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
This church was founded in about 1118 by Benedictine monks from Montecassino, who ...
read more
Abside e campanile - Chiesa San Michele degli Scalzi (S. Manfrin) Abside e campanile - Chiesa San Michele degli Scalzi (S. Manfrin)
The Church of S. Michele is in the east part of Pisa. ...
read more
Struttura - SMS, Centro Espositivo San Michele degli Scalzi (Gnoix, wikimediacommons) Struttura - SMS, Centro Espositivo San Michele degli Scalzi (Gnoix, wikimediacommons)
Built on the site where the Richard Ginori ceramics factory once stood and ...
read more
Giardino Scotto (F. Anichini) Giardino Scotto (F. Anichini)
Archaeological sources reveal that this area was already inhabited in Roman times. ...
read more
Walking in the City

Chiesa di Santa Cristina

Abside - Chiesa di Santa Cristina (M. Febbraro)

The earliest mention of a Church dedicated to St. Christina is in an 8th century AD index of documents, but only after the year 1000 is it reported to be in the Chinzica area, south of the River Arno. From documents in the early Middle Ages we know that the Church had a porch in front and the room at the base of the bell tower was let as a workshop.
The appearance of the church today, built north-west - south-east and facing the Lungarno. is the result of renovation in the 19th century. It is plastered overall, with the exception of the apse at the eastern end, next to the 19th century bell tower, with a single nave and pitched roof.


The apse, perhaps dating from the 10th or 11th century, is the oldest remaining part: a series of pilasters and half columns, linked by round dead arches that surround alternating rhombs and rosettes, divide it into segments. Below, in the central part, there are bricked-up round-arched slit windows. Its chief characteristic is the variety of materials used, all from the area around Pisa and Livorno and worked in various ways, mixed with bricks recovered from older buildings. It is unclear whether this is the result of work carried out at the one time or the result of several adaptations.


The inside is simple, it houses a 14th century Madonna and Child on wood, a 17th century canvas by Passignano (St. Catharine receiving the stigmata), a 17th century view of the Pisan Lungarno and a 19th century copy of the medieval Crucifix by Enrico di Tedice that once hung in this church, before which St. Catherine of Siena received the stigmata in 1375.

Address:
Bibliography:

M. Febbraro, Abitare a Pisa. La cappella di S. Cristina in Chinzica: Società e Strutture Insediative tra Medioevo ed Età Contemporanea, in “Archeologia dell’Architettura”, XII (2008), pp. 11-53.
G. Garzella, Pisa com’era. Topografia ed insediamento, Liguori, Napoli 1990, pp. 13- 18; 92-102.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
PLACES OF WORSHIP
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

LA NUOVA MURAGLIA SNC DI DENG XIN E ZHAO W.56m

Via Toselli Pietro, 11 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 27372

BAGUS WINE & FOOD S.R.L.92m

Piazza Facchini, 17 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 26196

CRUPEL SRL100m

Lungarno Pacinotti Antonio, 40 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 2200423

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

BOLOGNA85m

Via Giuseppe Mazzini, 57 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 502120
E-mail: info@hotelbologna.pisa.it
Sito: www.hotelbologna.pisa.it

MAZZINI 16 AC 297m

Giuseppe Mazzini, 16 p.2 - Pisa
Tel.: 339 4228697
Sito: www.mazzini16pisa.it

MAZZINI 16 AC 397m

Giuseppe Mazzini, 16 p.3 - Pisa
Tel.: 339 4228697
Sito: www.mazzini16pisa.it

VIEW ALL