Facciata - Chiesa di Santa Caterina (F. Anichini) photogallery Facciata - Chiesa di Santa Caterina (F. Anichini)

The Church, dedicated to St. Catharine of Alexandria, was built in the early 13th century, but it was with the Dominicans (1222) that the building and annexed convent took shape as they are today. The hall-shaped, double-pitched gabled building was probably completed towards mid 13th century. It was built to answer the need for a large space mainly for preaching but also for worship and to bury the dead. The single nave with trussed roof forms a “T” with the transept, off which lead four cross-vaulted chapels.


The front, completed in the first half of the 14th century, is a development in Gothic style of the Cathedral decoration. Two-tone stripes, in marble from nearby San Giuliano, unite the lower round arches with the three-lobed arches above. These rest on columns with capitals and human heads. Busts of saints in high relief surround a central rose window. The bell tower,built in terracotta, is attributed to Giovanni di Simone, who also built the one at the church of S. Francesco and the Camposanto Monumentale. The interior of the church was renovated after a fire in 1650; among the works are the sepulchure of Archbishop Saltarelli by Andrea and Nino Pisano, the large altarpiece depicting The Triumph of St. Thomas, probably the work of Lippo Memmi and Francesco Traini, and the 17th century wooden cathedra that encloses the one that St. Thomas is said to have preached from.


In ancient times a large polyptich signed by Simone Martini stood on the main altar and in the S. Domenico chapel (cappella dei Caduti) there was a dossal depicting S. Domenico and Stories from his Life signed and dated by Francesco Traini; both are now in the Museum of S. Matteo.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (F. Anichini, C. Balbarini; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Piazza Santa Caterina, 4-6, 56127 Pisa
Connected routes: San Francesco nord
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 40-45.

G. Corallini, La Chiesa di Santa Caterina in Pisa dalle origini ad oggi, V. Cursi, Pisa 1965.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY SAN FRANCESCO NORD

Piazza Martiri della Libertà (Gabriele Gattiglia) Piazza Martiri della Libertà (Gabriele Gattiglia)
This square was designed by the architect Alessandro Gherardesca by will of the Grand ...
read more
Chiostro gesuita - Palazzo della Scuola Sant’Anna (D. Tarantino) Chiostro gesuita - Palazzo della Scuola Sant’Anna (D. Tarantino)
Since 1987 this building has been the headquarters of the Scuola Superiore S. Anna. ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Zeno (M. Febbraro) Facciata - Chiesa di San Zeno (M. Febbraro)
The Church of San Zeno is first mentioned in 1029, although alterations to the ...
read more
Interno - Chiesa di Sant’Anna (F.Delu, wikimediacommons) Interno - Chiesa di Sant’Anna (F.Delu, wikimediacommons)
The church and nunnery were built by Benedictine nuns from S. ...
read more
Terme di Nerone (vitaperimmagini.blogspot.it) Terme di Nerone (vitaperimmagini.blogspot.it)
Since the 13th century these ruins, known as "Bagni di Nerone" (Nero’s Baths) have ...
read more
 
Walking in the City

Chiesa di Santa Caterina

Facciata - Chiesa di Santa Caterina (F. Anichini)

The Church, dedicated to St. Catharine of Alexandria, was built in the early 13th century, but it was with the Dominicans (1222) that the building and annexed convent took shape as they are today. The hall-shaped, double-pitched gabled building was probably completed towards mid 13th century. It was built to answer the need for a large space mainly for preaching but also for worship and to bury the dead. The single nave with trussed roof forms a “T” with the transept, off which lead four cross-vaulted chapels.


The front, completed in the first half of the 14th century, is a development in Gothic style of the Cathedral decoration. Two-tone stripes, in marble from nearby San Giuliano, unite the lower round arches with the three-lobed arches above. These rest on columns with capitals and human heads. Busts of saints in high relief surround a central rose window. The bell tower,built in terracotta, is attributed to Giovanni di Simone, who also built the one at the church of S. Francesco and the Camposanto Monumentale. The interior of the church was renovated after a fire in 1650; among the works are the sepulchure of Archbishop Saltarelli by Andrea and Nino Pisano, the large altarpiece depicting The Triumph of St. Thomas, probably the work of Lippo Memmi and Francesco Traini, and the 17th century wooden cathedra that encloses the one that St. Thomas is said to have preached from.


In ancient times a large polyptich signed by Simone Martini stood on the main altar and in the S. Domenico chapel (cappella dei Caduti) there was a dossal depicting S. Domenico and Stories from his Life signed and dated by Francesco Traini; both are now in the Museum of S. Matteo.

Address:
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 40-45.

G. Corallini, La Chiesa di Santa Caterina in Pisa dalle origini ad oggi, V. Cursi, Pisa 1965.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
PLACES OF WORSHIP
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

OSTERIA LA TOSCANA171m

Piazzetta Tongiorgi, 1/3 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 554557

PIZZERIA MOONLIGHT190m

V. S. Lorenzo, 52 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 564433

PIZZERIA AL BAGNO DI NERONE191m

Largo Parlascio, 26 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 24321

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

SANTA CATERINA D\'ALESSANDRIA26m

San Zeno, 1 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 550250
E-mail: info@bebsantacaterinadalessandria.it
Sito: www.bebsantacaterinadalessandria.it

PENSIONATO UNIVERSITARIO G. TONIOLO27m

Via San Zeno, 8 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 569111
E-mail: direzione@pensionatotoniolo.it
Sito: www.pensionatotoniolo.it

ABBAZIA DI SAN ZENO138m

Via San Zeno, 12 - Pisa
Tel.: 389 8469204
E-mail: fedeabbaziasanzeno@gmail.com

VIEW ALL