Facciata -  Chiesa di San Torpé (D. Tarantino) photogallery Facciata - Chiesa di San Torpé (D. Tarantino)

The Church and adjacent convent, belonging to the Frati Umiliati, were founded between 1254 and 1278. In 1584 the construction passed to the Friars of S. Francesco di Paola, who conducted it until suppression in 1784. Later (until 1808), the property belonged to Vallombrosans and finally to Carthusians. After 1816 the building was handed to Carmelites.
The plastered front with pitched roof is decorated with a lunette in sandstone containing a bust of S. Torpè, carved by the contemporary sculptor Antonio Fascetti.


On the inside of the façade there is a choir gallery and organ while there are carved stone altars and four confessionals against the walls (17th century) with above, paintings on canvas by an unknown artist depicting St. Simone Stock and St. Teresa (left wall) and St.John of the Cross and St. Andrea Corsini (right wall). 17th century altars in grey sandstone adorn the walls.The main altar, in Carrara marble (1619), is by Giuseppe Zucchetti. There is a precious silver reliquiary in the shape of a bust, containing the head of Saint Torpè , in a glass case, donated in 1667 by the Lanfranchi brothers.

There are more rich furnishings in the chorus, with three paintings from the early 17th century showing The Conversion of St Giovanni Gualberto, the Madonna and Child with Saints Torpè, Anna and angels and a Madonna and Child with Saints James and Philip. Two altars against the right wall, one dedicated to St. Francis of Paola and the other to St. Charles Borromeo, are surmounted by paintings of The Madonna in glory between St John of the Cross and St. Teresa (1820 ca.) by Domenico Nani from Udine and The Saint and episodes from his life by Giovanni Stefano Maruscelli (after 1631).

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (M. Zampetti; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Largo del Parlascio, 20, 56127 Pisa
Connected routes: Santa Maria est
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 148-150.
A. Gioli, Una chiesa all’asta: San Torpè a Pisa e le vendite dei beni del demanio, ETS, Pisa 2006.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY SANTA MARIA EST

Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino) Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino)
This square is the result of re-styling ordered by Cosimo I in 1558 and entrusted to ...
read more
Piazza delle Vettovaglie vista dall'angolo nord-est (X. de Jauréguiberry) Piazza delle Vettovaglie vista dall'angolo nord-est (X. de Jauréguiberry)
The square was shaped when this part of the town centre was redesigned under Medici ...
read more
Campano - Torre del Campano e altri edifici medievali (M. Febbraro) Campano - Torre del Campano e altri edifici medievali (M. Febbraro)
The most famous building on Via Calvalca is the tall Campano (bell) Tower with ...
read more
Parte della facciata - La Sapienza (D. Stiaffini) Parte della facciata - La Sapienza (D. Stiaffini)
The Foundation Deeds of Sapienza are dated 1472 when Lorenzo il Magnifico ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Frediano (Francesca Anichini) Facciata - Chiesa di San Frediano (Francesca Anichini)
The church of S. Frediano is first mentioned in 1061. ...
read more
Scorcio - Piazza Dante (wifi.unipi.it) Scorcio - Piazza Dante (wifi.unipi.it)
The open space of Piazza Dante is the result of alterations to this area in the early ...
read more
Particolare dei palchi e della scena - Teatro Rossi (A. Sobrero) Particolare dei palchi e della scena - Teatro Rossi (A. Sobrero)
This is one of the public theatres in Pisa. ...
read more
Piazza Carrara (APT di Pisa) Piazza Carrara (APT di Pisa)
Originally named Piazza S. ...
read more
Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Reale (D. Tarantino) Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Reale (D. Tarantino)
This palazzo, designed by the architect Bernardo Buontalenti, was built between 1583 ...
read more
Walking in the City

Facciata -  Chiesa di San Torpé (D. Tarantino)

The Church and adjacent convent, belonging to the Frati Umiliati, were founded between 1254 and 1278. In 1584 the construction passed to the Friars of S. Francesco di Paola, who conducted it until suppression in 1784. Later (until 1808), the property belonged to Vallombrosans and finally to Carthusians. After 1816 the building was handed to Carmelites.
The plastered front with pitched roof is decorated with a lunette in sandstone containing a bust of S. Torpè, carved by the contemporary sculptor Antonio Fascetti.


On the inside of the façade there is a choir gallery and organ while there are carved stone altars and four confessionals against the walls (17th century) with above, paintings on canvas by an unknown artist depicting St. Simone Stock and St. Teresa (left wall) and St.John of the Cross and St. Andrea Corsini (right wall). 17th century altars in grey sandstone adorn the walls.The main altar, in Carrara marble (1619), is by Giuseppe Zucchetti. There is a precious silver reliquiary in the shape of a bust, containing the head of Saint Torpè , in a glass case, donated in 1667 by the Lanfranchi brothers.

There are more rich furnishings in the chorus, with three paintings from the early 17th century showing The Conversion of St Giovanni Gualberto, the Madonna and Child with Saints Torpè, Anna and angels and a Madonna and Child with Saints James and Philip. Two altars against the right wall, one dedicated to St. Francis of Paola and the other to St. Charles Borromeo, are surmounted by paintings of The Madonna in glory between St John of the Cross and St. Teresa (1820 ca.) by Domenico Nani from Udine and The Saint and episodes from his life by Giovanni Stefano Maruscelli (after 1631).

Address:
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 148-150.
A. Gioli, Una chiesa all’asta: San Torpè a Pisa e le vendite dei beni del demanio, ETS, Pisa 2006.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
PLACES OF WORSHIP
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

PIZZERIA AL BAGNO DI NERONE26m

Largo Parlascio, 26 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 24321

PIZZERIA LE MURA41m

Lg. Parlascio, 33/34 - Pisa
Tel.: 393 2257773

OSTERIA LA TOSCANA75m

Piazzetta Tongiorgi, 1/3 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 554557

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

A CASA DOINA \"TOWER\"44m

Largo del Parlascio, 10 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 5201596
E-mail: tower@bbacasadoina.it
Sito: www.bbacasadoina.it

VACANZE TOSCANE SAS86m

Via San Giuseppe, 4 - Pisa
Tel.: 0565 777172
E-mail: info@tuscanyholidays.it
Sito: www.tuscanyholidays.it

ADA95m

Due Arni, 17 - Barbaricina - Pisa
Tel.: 3395400186
E-mail: ik56km@hotmail.it

VIEW ALL