Facciata - Chiesa di San Sisto in Cortevecchia (A. Alberti) photogallery Facciata - Chiesa di San Sisto in Cortevecchia (A. Alberti)

The church of St. Sisto was built in Cortevecchia in 1087, soon after the Pisan conquest of the Al Mahdiya emporium inTunisia. Here, the military victories of the Pisan Republic are celebrated, on a date when many of them occurred, 6th August, in honour of the Saint. The name Cortevecchia reminds us that in the early middle ages the political heart of Pisa was here, where the Longobard King’s Steward resided.

In spite of several renovations (in mid 15th century, early 17th century and in the 1760s), the church has changed very little in appearance since the middle ages. The façade, divided into three parts, is outlined by a decoration of dead archlets and ceramic basins mostly imported from the western Mediterranean; below there are three doors and a recently inserted double mullioned window. The left outer wall is intact, built from small limestone blocks and decorated along the top in the same way as the front.

The interior is divided into three aisles by two rows of pillars in granite and grey marble, crowned by capitals, some of which came from ancient buildings and were re-used in the church. Two fragments from boats - a rudder and a mast (14th – 15th centuries) – lean against the inner wall of the facade, a reminder of the part played by the Church under the patronage of the Pisan Comune. The civic function of this church is highlighted by the standards of the four quarters of Pisa in this part of the Church. The bell tower, behind the Church,is built of bricks on a base of stone blocks and is decorated with dead archlets and ceramic basins and a pointed roof.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (A. Alberti; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Piazza Francesco Buonamici, 2-3, 56126 Pisa
Connected routes: Piazza dei Miracoli Santa Maria est
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 138-140.

G. Garzella, Pisa come’era, Liguori, Napoli 1990, p. 62.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY PIAZZA DEI MIRACOLI

Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
The Church and monastery are first mentioned in 1016 as the adaptation of a ...
read more
Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini) Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini)
The small neogothic building on via Ulisse Dini includes the remains of the Church of ...
read more
Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia) Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia)
This street is named after the Pisan mathematician and Senator (1845-1918) whose ...
read more
Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino) Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino)
This square is the result of re-styling ordered by Cosimo I in 1558 and entrusted to ...
read more
Facciata e ingresso del Museo - Orto Botanico (D. Tarantino) Facciata e ingresso del Museo - Orto Botanico (D. Tarantino)
Created by order of Cosimo I de’ Medici on the iniziative of the great botanist, Luca ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Tedeschi (D. Tarantino) Facciata - Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Tedeschi (D. Tarantino)
The name of this Church comes from the battle of Montecatini (1315) during which ...
read more
Bambino in fasce sopra il portale - Ospizio dei Trovatelli (F. Anichini) Bambino in fasce sopra il portale - Ospizio dei Trovatelli (F. Anichini)
The Foundlings’ Hospital (Ospizio dei Trovatelli) was built in 1315. ...
read more
Battistero di San Giovanni  (Antonio Alberti) Battistero di San Giovanni  (Antonio Alberti)
The Baptistry was begun in 1152 but it took over two centuries to complete. ...
read more
Edificio - Campo Santo Monumentale (A, Alberti) Edificio - Campo Santo Monumentale (A, Alberti)
The Cemetery, forming a backdrop to the Cathedral place on its north side, was the ...
read more
Walking in the City

Chiesa di San Sisto in Cortevecchia

Facciata - Chiesa di San Sisto in Cortevecchia (A. Alberti)

The church of St. Sisto was built in Cortevecchia in 1087, soon after the Pisan conquest of the Al Mahdiya emporium inTunisia. Here, the military victories of the Pisan Republic are celebrated, on a date when many of them occurred, 6th August, in honour of the Saint. The name Cortevecchia reminds us that in the early middle ages the political heart of Pisa was here, where the Longobard King’s Steward resided.

In spite of several renovations (in mid 15th century, early 17th century and in the 1760s), the church has changed very little in appearance since the middle ages. The façade, divided into three parts, is outlined by a decoration of dead archlets and ceramic basins mostly imported from the western Mediterranean; below there are three doors and a recently inserted double mullioned window. The left outer wall is intact, built from small limestone blocks and decorated along the top in the same way as the front.

The interior is divided into three aisles by two rows of pillars in granite and grey marble, crowned by capitals, some of which came from ancient buildings and were re-used in the church. Two fragments from boats - a rudder and a mast (14th – 15th centuries) – lean against the inner wall of the facade, a reminder of the part played by the Church under the patronage of the Pisan Comune. The civic function of this church is highlighted by the standards of the four quarters of Pisa in this part of the Church. The bell tower, behind the Church,is built of bricks on a base of stone blocks and is decorated with dead archlets and ceramic basins and a pointed roof.

Address:
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 138-140.

G. Garzella, Pisa come’era, Liguori, Napoli 1990, p. 62.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
PLACES OF WORSHIP
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

SILVESTRO SAS DI SILVESTRINI CARLO & C.39m

Via Uguccione Della Faggiola, 1 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 556179

RISTORANTE OSTERIA DEI MILLE91m

Via Dei Mille, 32 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 556263

LA SOSTA DEI CAVALIERI105m

Via San Frediano, 3 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 9912410

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

CASA SAN DOMENICO53m

Via Uguccione della Faggiola, 26 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 561858
E-mail: casasandomenico@yahoo.it

PENS. SUORE FRANCESCANE OSP. S. CHIARA53m

Via della Faggiola, 27 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 561814
E-mail: istitutofrancescane@alice.it

IL TOSCANO B&B115m

Piazza Arcivescovado, 13 - 2°p. - Pisa
Tel.: 393 9921728
E-mail: nicola@iltoscanobnb.it

VIEW ALL