Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174) photogallery Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174)

The Church, built from locally quarried stone and lit by slit windows, is octagonal in shape with a pyramidal cone-shaped roof resting on a central raised drum.
In 1138 this Church is mentioned as part of a construction belonging to the Knights Hospitaliers of St. John of Jerusalem, who arrived in Pisa in 1113. It later belonged to the Knights of Malta until, in 1817, the Order was suppressed and the Church passed under Royal patronage.


An inscription at the base of the bell-tower tells us that the architect was Diotisalvi, who designed the Baptistery, but restoration work in 1970 uncoveredan earlier octagonal building on which the eight pillars of this temple rest. In the 16th century a porch in sandstone was added to the church, that was already closed in by later buildings.


Towards the end of the 18th century, it was decorated with stucco mouldings but was closed in 1848 because unsafe. In 1876 it was re-consecrated, following much repair work under Rodolfo Castinelli, who restored it to its original level and dismantled the porch; at the same time the square was re-designed by Pietro Bellini, who created the metal balustrade surrounding the church.


The bracket carved with a man’s head, the rings carved with foliage and the lions’ heads over the north door are 12th century, while the bust of Diotisalvi over the west door dates from 1859. Inside is the gravestone of Maria Mancini Colonna, niece of Cardinal Mazzarino, and a well with bucket said to have been used by St. Ubaldesca to cure pilgrims in the adjacent hospital.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (F. Anichini; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Piazza Santo Sepolcro, 5, 56125 Pisa
Connected routes: San Martino Lungarni
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 172-175.
R. Ciuti, B. Leoni, Pisa nell’Ottocento – le trasformazioni della città tra Granducato e Stato unitario, Felici Editore, Pisa 2010, pp. 117-120.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY SAN MARTINO

Piazza Chiara Gambacorti (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Piazza Chiara Gambacorti (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
In 2004 this square and the remains of the medieval church of S. ...
read more
Lunetta sopra la porta di accesso - Ex Teatro Redini (M. Baldassarri) Lunetta sopra la porta di accesso - Ex Teatro Redini (M. Baldassarri)
This theatre takes its name from its founder Giuseppe Redini, a medical specialist ...
read more
Facciata - Palazzo Salviati (www.pisaoggi.it/Guida-di-Pisa/Palazzi) Facciata - Palazzo Salviati (www.pisaoggi.it/Guida-di-Pisa/Palazzi)
This palazzo is an agglomeration of medieval buildings, joined to one another by the ...
read more
Nino Pisano (attrib.), Madonna in trono col Bambino detta Madonna dei Vetturini, Museo Nazionale di San Matteo: da Pisa nei secoli. L’arte, la storia, la tradizione, 2, a cura di A. Zampieri, Pisa, ETS, 2003, p. 134, fig. 56 Nino Pisano (attrib.), Madonna in trono col Bambino detta Madonna dei Vetturini, Museo Nazionale di San Matteo: da Pisa nei secoli. L’arte, la storia, la tradizione, 2, a cura di A. Zampieri, Pisa, ETS, 2003, p. 134, fig. 56
At the end of the 16th century the wooden statue of the Madonna and Child was ...
read more
Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia) Facciata - Palazzo Lanfranchi (G. Gattiglia)
This palazzo takes its name from the Lanfranchi family who re-structured it and lived ...
read more
 
Walking in the City

Chiesa di San Sepolcro

Interno - Chiesa di San Sepolcro (Tango7174)

The Church, built from locally quarried stone and lit by slit windows, is octagonal in shape with a pyramidal cone-shaped roof resting on a central raised drum.
In 1138 this Church is mentioned as part of a construction belonging to the Knights Hospitaliers of St. John of Jerusalem, who arrived in Pisa in 1113. It later belonged to the Knights of Malta until, in 1817, the Order was suppressed and the Church passed under Royal patronage.


An inscription at the base of the bell-tower tells us that the architect was Diotisalvi, who designed the Baptistery, but restoration work in 1970 uncoveredan earlier octagonal building on which the eight pillars of this temple rest. In the 16th century a porch in sandstone was added to the church, that was already closed in by later buildings.


Towards the end of the 18th century, it was decorated with stucco mouldings but was closed in 1848 because unsafe. In 1876 it was re-consecrated, following much repair work under Rodolfo Castinelli, who restored it to its original level and dismantled the porch; at the same time the square was re-designed by Pietro Bellini, who created the metal balustrade surrounding the church.


The bracket carved with a man’s head, the rings carved with foliage and the lions’ heads over the north door are 12th century, while the bust of Diotisalvi over the west door dates from 1859. Inside is the gravestone of Maria Mancini Colonna, niece of Cardinal Mazzarino, and a well with bucket said to have been used by St. Ubaldesca to cure pilgrims in the adjacent hospital.

Address:
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 172-175.
R. Ciuti, B. Leoni, Pisa nell’Ottocento – le trasformazioni della città tra Granducato e Stato unitario, Felici Editore, Pisa 2010, pp. 117-120.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
PLACES OF WORSHIP
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

NUMERO UNDICI DI GRIFFA MARCO69m

Via S. Martino, 47 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 27282

AL-MADINA71m

Via S. Martino, 41/45 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 20409

RISTORANTE OSTERIA L'ARTILAFO88m

V. S. Martino, 33 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 27010

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

CASA PER FERIE PADRE AGOSTINO129m

Via San Bernardo, 25 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 502245
E-mail: casaperferie@suorefigliedinazareth.it
Sito: www.istitutosuorefigliedinazareth.it

LA DIMORA133m

Via San Bernardo, 22 - Pisa
Tel.: 342 0556811
E-mail: ladimora2012@gmail.com

ALICE FERRISI C204m

Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, n° 23, int. C - Pisa
Tel.: 338 7914208
E-mail: ferrisialice@gmail.com

VIEW ALL