Navata centrale e altare maggiore - Chiesa di San Nicola (F. Anichini, C. Balbarini) photogallery Navata centrale e altare maggiore - Chiesa di San Nicola (F. Anichini, C. Balbarini)

The church of S. Nicola is documented in 1097, described as depending from the Monastery of S. Michele at the Verruca. Scholarly tradition, perhaps not groundless, holds that it was founded by Marquis Ugo di Tuscia at the end of the 10th century, in an area with many buildings already belonging to the Tuscia family.


The lower part of the facade is decorated in the style typical of Buscheto (11th century): its dead arches on pilasters framing the doors with alternating rhombs and rose windows and two-tone marble facing are a superb example of the Pisan Romanesque style. We do not know what the appearance of the second story was to be,nor the date of the brickwork, perhaps 16th century. The unusual octagonal bell tower, with an interesting cantilevered spiral staircase built between the two cylinders of the tower (which Vasari held was the inspiration for St Patrick’s well at Orvieto), was erected in the 13th century.


The property passed to Augustinian monks in 1296, who had enlarged it by 1313. Other work was carried out during the 14th century when the Church acquired the wooden Crucifix attributed to Giovanni Pisano, now in the chapel beside the main altar, and the precious Madonna and Child painted on wood, in the chapel of the Madonna delle Grazie, attributed to Francesco Traini.


The painting of St. Nicolas saving Pisa from the Plague is from the early 15th century; it is famous for being one of the oldest and most detailed representations of Pisa. Work on the eight chapels and the vaulted ceiling began in 1572; the chapel of the SS. Sacramento is by Matteo Nigetti (1614). In 1792 the parishioners of the suppressed Church of S. Lucia de’ Ricucchi came under this parish which is also the seat of the Confraternity of S. Lucia.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (F. Anichini, C. Balbarini; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Via Santa Maria, 6-12, 56126 Pisa
Connected routes: Santa Maria est
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 129-132.

G. Garzella, Pisa com’era: topografia e insediamento dall’impianto tardo antico alla città murata del secolo XII, Liguori, Napoli 1990, p. 87.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY SANTA MARIA EST

Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino) Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino)
This square is the result of re-styling ordered by Cosimo I in 1558 and entrusted to ...
read more
Piazza delle Vettovaglie vista dall'angolo nord-est (X. de Jauréguiberry) Piazza delle Vettovaglie vista dall'angolo nord-est (X. de Jauréguiberry)
The square was shaped when this part of the town centre was redesigned under Medici ...
read more
Campano - Torre del Campano e altri edifici medievali (M. Febbraro) Campano - Torre del Campano e altri edifici medievali (M. Febbraro)
The most famous building on Via Calvalca is the tall Campano (bell) Tower with ...
read more
Parte della facciata - La Sapienza (D. Stiaffini) Parte della facciata - La Sapienza (D. Stiaffini)
The Foundation Deeds of Sapienza are dated 1472 when Lorenzo il Magnifico ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Frediano (Francesca Anichini) Facciata - Chiesa di San Frediano (Francesca Anichini)
The church of S. Frediano is first mentioned in 1061. ...
read more
Scorcio - Piazza Dante (wifi.unipi.it) Scorcio - Piazza Dante (wifi.unipi.it)
The open space of Piazza Dante is the result of alterations to this area in the early ...
read more
Particolare dei palchi e della scena - Teatro Rossi (A. Sobrero) Particolare dei palchi e della scena - Teatro Rossi (A. Sobrero)
This is one of the public theatres in Pisa. ...
read more
Piazza Carrara (APT di Pisa) Piazza Carrara (APT di Pisa)
Originally named Piazza S. ...
read more
Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Reale (D. Tarantino) Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Reale (D. Tarantino)
This palazzo, designed by the architect Bernardo Buontalenti, was built between 1583 ...
read more
Walking in the City

Chiesa di San Nicola

Navata centrale e altare maggiore - Chiesa di San Nicola (F. Anichini, C. Balbarini)

The church of S. Nicola is documented in 1097, described as depending from the Monastery of S. Michele at the Verruca. Scholarly tradition, perhaps not groundless, holds that it was founded by Marquis Ugo di Tuscia at the end of the 10th century, in an area with many buildings already belonging to the Tuscia family.


The lower part of the facade is decorated in the style typical of Buscheto (11th century): its dead arches on pilasters framing the doors with alternating rhombs and rose windows and two-tone marble facing are a superb example of the Pisan Romanesque style. We do not know what the appearance of the second story was to be,nor the date of the brickwork, perhaps 16th century. The unusual octagonal bell tower, with an interesting cantilevered spiral staircase built between the two cylinders of the tower (which Vasari held was the inspiration for St Patrick’s well at Orvieto), was erected in the 13th century.


The property passed to Augustinian monks in 1296, who had enlarged it by 1313. Other work was carried out during the 14th century when the Church acquired the wooden Crucifix attributed to Giovanni Pisano, now in the chapel beside the main altar, and the precious Madonna and Child painted on wood, in the chapel of the Madonna delle Grazie, attributed to Francesco Traini.


The painting of St. Nicolas saving Pisa from the Plague is from the early 15th century; it is famous for being one of the oldest and most detailed representations of Pisa. Work on the eight chapels and the vaulted ceiling began in 1572; the chapel of the SS. Sacramento is by Matteo Nigetti (1614). In 1792 the parishioners of the suppressed Church of S. Lucia de’ Ricucchi came under this parish which is also the seat of the Confraternity of S. Lucia.

Address:
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 129-132.

G. Garzella, Pisa com’era: topografia e insediamento dall’impianto tardo antico alla città murata del secolo XII, Liguori, Napoli 1990, p. 87.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
PLACES OF WORSHIP
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

DA MANUEL S.R.L.57m

Via S. Maria, 25 - Pisa
Tel.: 335 5613002

RISTORANTE AL VECCHIO TEATRO125m

Via Collegio Ricci, 12 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 20210

INDIA209m

Via Roma, 52 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 48513

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

GALILEO2m

Via Santa Maria, 12 - Pisa
Tel.: 339 1743810
E-mail: francescapra@alice.it

DELLE TRE DONZELLE131m

Via Trieste, 1 - Pisa
Tel.: 335 7441261
E-mail: info@delletredonzelle.it
Sito: www.delletredonzelle.it

CAPITOL167m

Via Enrico Fermi, 13 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 49597
E-mail: info@hotelcapitol.pisa.it
Sito: www.hotelcapitol.pisa.it

VIEW ALL